1.4tdi egr clean

When I got mine I changed all the filters ( oil,air,fuel ) and the fuel filter is again soooo easy to do, and for what it costs, I'd change it.

I've also just finished a bottle of millers ecomax fuel additive through mine, along with only shell or BP fuel, since then the economy has gone up a bit genuinely, could be my driving style changing, but hadn't done any harm, might be worth a try also?

• Like 1

When I changed mine, there is no need to prime as it's not a high pressure system on PD engines til the fuel meets the Injectors.

When you take the 2 pipes of the old one you'll notice there is very little pressure or spillage.

Plumb the new one in empty, and start her up! ( should start straight away )

Job done!

• Like 1

The vehicle does pull better now,with what I have done so far but it's still not getting great mpg like people have advised .

When I get time I shall take a look at the brakes.

Cheers

Dubboy, glad you got the cleaning done. I suspect your injectors are a bit crudy. I would run two tanks of diesel through with Millers Fuel System and Injector cleaner through her. It works brilliantly. It may run slightly rough for a day or two but this does no harm whatsoever and is what techs do to diesels quite often. Incidentally, diesel carbon is very soft, sticky and gummy normally so it's no threat to valves or seats. Millers is naptha based so is harmless to all seals etc. But it does lubricate everything that bit extra as it goes through. It dissolves the carbon and gum anywhere it comes into contact with it, especially on and in the injector nozzles. Ideally, all diesels really need this treatment once a year at least. Pick up, power and mpg all usually improve afterwards. If it doesn't, it wasn't needed. But it's always worth a go and all my diesels get the treatment.  

Edited by Estate Man
  • Like 3

Is it the ecomax I am looking for?

The car pulls well now after cleaning the egr could the maf contribute to poor mpg?

Today I went on a long run about 120 miles each way,on A roads at 50mph and motors way at 70ish and could only manage 50mpg.

Cheers dazz

Ecomax is what used, and yes as stated above, the MAF sensor could contribute to your symptoms, it's worth checking but it might throw your engine management light on, it's handy to have an OBD2 wi-fi reader and and an app like dashcommand, reads any fault codes that come up, and let's you clear them, they work great.

I did a trip from the south coast upto chessigington world of adventures yesterday, around 60 miles each way, 90% on the A3, with me the wife and our 2 kids, plus the pushchair and stuff in the boot, did 70mph and it showed 57mpg.

By contrast I drove back at 60mph (everyone was asleep!) and that makes a big difference, just 10mph slower and I squeezed 66mpg.

Sounds like yours is getting back to normal I'd say.

• Like 1

It is possible to clean it with some special cleaner, there is a thread on how to do it on here, or you could just google it.

All I know is, it's a very thin wire that's easily broken, so if you do attempt a clean, go careful!

Is it possible to clean the maf sensor?

Cheers

yes as above but don't touch the wire

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/864/archoil-ar2810-mass-air-flow-sensor-cleaner

what is the throttle like at below 1800rpm? if it feels very flat and doesn't pull very well it is a good sign that the maf is dirty and worth giving it a clean, as the maf affects the performance before the turbo kicks and if you constantly need to drop down gears to make it pull cleanly this will affect the mpg

also here is 20% discount code if used before 31/7/14 midnight  "JULY20"

Edited by wiilydog

Well I disconnected the maf and took it for a drive and didn't really notice any change,it didn't run like a dog like I thought it would.

As for throttle response at low revs I suppose it did pull a little bit better when unplugged but not by much.

Thank you wiilydog for the code.

Cheers

A disconnected maf would make the car run on predefined settings - it should run like crap unplugged when compared to a maf that's working. Not sure if you would but dont get ebay sensors - there not reliable. Go oem, yes the cost is more but at least you know it's the right one. I made the mistake on fitting an eBay maf, then spent a couple hundred more quid trying to find the fault only to find the after getting the oscillator on the maf showed it was the culprit

Agree with wiilydog, but remember that under 1800rpm with a 3 cylinder and no turbo at that point, it's not going to pull that great, from what you say about no real change, sounds like your MAF Sensor is fine.

Just to state the obvious when it comes to improving economy but are you running with tyre pressures nice and firm?, you hauling a boot full of junk? (People leave allsorts in there), air-con switched off?

And are you driving economically?, not over-revving, light acceleration, avoid braking were applicable, etc....

here is a good article explaining how an out of spec maf can affect performance and mpg, although not skoda fabia specific the principles are the same

http://tuning-diesels.com/75Zt/R75maf.htm

from the pictures of your EGR  it looks like lack of fuel additives hasn't helped the mpg as when I cleaned my EGR  there was very little carbon inside despite covering over 140k, which I think is due to regular use of Archoil fuel additive together with supermarket fuel.

Have a look at the power enhancement website as they sell very good high strength fuel cleaners that really work.  

Before I did the egr it was quite sluggish on acceleration but after cleaning it it has improved ,I have brought some of the maf cleaner suggested and will give it a clean anyway and see what happens.

Thank you everybody for your help ,I shall report back soon.

• Like 1