Best Yeti for Track work and Tuning Potential? Thoughts...........?

Sparkly

My CR170 only has a remap, uprated pads on stock 312mm discs and ARBs from a Golf R32.

The ARBs do give a little more "jitter" to the ride but not only help with body roll in the corners, they also stop the ESP cutting in and stopping you using power out of the corners.

Ive been playing with different ARB configurations over the last ten days and I'm now running what I believe to be the optimum setup... Actually for both handling and comfort (ie removing the jitter)... Standard OE Golf R front bar and H&R rear upgraded bar on its softer setting. Turn in feels better than the all uprated setup and the jitter is gone. There's more compliancy now that actually helps maintain more speed on trickier, tighter stuff. :)

Oh and a standard 1.8TSi will see off a standard 170TDi and a stage 1 Shark mapped 1.8TSi will see off a tuning box equipped 170TDi. You just need to make sure you take advantage of the revs on the 1.8TSi - which you would anyway in a 'race'.

If you drive them both then try and drive a Shark remapped 170CR as well.

The 170 in std form is not slow, but it is boring IMO - the Shark remapped 170 is however a pleasure to drive.

We were initially going to keep the FL Yeti (170CR) std, but we are already missing the refinement and power the Shark mapped Superb had.

My choice would be a Shark 170 for every day use or the 1.8 if you want a 'toy'.

While clearly popular, it doesn't have to be Shark map.

Mine isn't.  But I can't be bothered to write the name of the company down every time I write 170.

A good remap is a good remap.

Ive been playing with different ARB configurations over the last ten days and I'm now running what I believe to be the optimum setup... Actually for both handling and comfort (ie removing the jitter)... Standard OE Golf R front bar and H&R rear upgraded bar on its softer setting. Turn in feels better than the all uprated setup and the jitter is gone. There's more compliancy now that actually helps maintain more speed on trickier, tighter stuff. :)

Like most things, personal opinion.

I prefer them in the stiffest setting because I can provoke the back to come round a bit, making it more pointy into the corners.

For the odd once or twice per day you hit a bump with one from wheel and lose a little ride compliancy it's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make.

My wife actually can't tell the difference...

But I fully understand that my Yeti use doesn't mirror a lot of others.

My 1.8tsi on the same settings and a bit of camber is matching the cornering speeds of my R32 Skyline which has a better power distribution under cornering.  On a tighter corner it's actually slightly beating it...

Round Brands Hatch the Skyline was 10mph faster on the straight, but only half a second quicker over the whole lap.  With 120bhp more.

Got to love data logging. :D

• Like 1

While clearly popular, it doesn't have to be Shark map.

Mine isn't.  But I can't be bothered to write the name of the company down every time I write 170.

A good remap is a good remap.

I fully agree,

They are certainly not the only good re-mappers out there, but likewise there are lots of other tuners who’s maps (they use) are nowhere near as smooth as what Shark offer,

it is also widely accepted that there are very few people who write the maps, most tuning companies just buy the maps in, which providing it’s a good one is not a bad thing, but it also begs the question: who’s map is actually being loaded onto the ECU?

For me though the other reason I would return is for their customer service (granted e-mails and PM’s can take a day or so to be returned, one of the pitfalls with being so busy i guess).

There are also several VAG forum members who have tried most of the maps available, so IMO their input is worth to me than someone who has only ever had one remap (not aimed at you Richard BTW)

• Like 1

My 1.8tsi on the same settings and a bit of camber is matching the cornering speeds of my R32 Skyline which has a better power distribution under cornering.  On a tighter corner it's actually slightly beating it...

Round Brands Hatch the Skyline was 10mph faster on the straight, but only half a second quicker over the whole lap.  With 120bhp more.

Got to love data logging. :D

Are you still taking it along to the track day next week at Brands to make sure it's in tip top form for Blyton and, if so, do you have a pit garage reserved?

Are you still taking it along to the track day next week at Brands to make sure it's in tip top form for Blyton and, if so, do you have a pit garage reserved?

Yes and yes. :)

For me though the other reason I would return is for their customer service (granted e-mails and PM’s can take a day or so to be returned, one of the pitfalls with being so busy i guess).

There are also several VAG forum members who have tried most of the maps available, so IMO their input is worth to me than someone who has only ever had one remap (not aimed at you Richard BTW)

Accepted.

I've never used Shark, but have no axe to grind.

I've only tried to use them twice and have never had my call returned.

For a local map I would use W8 performance though, who are Shark agents because it's convenient and their reputation is good. Rob is a top guy.

My current experience is tuning boxes and maps by Jabbasport and APR.

Neither of which buy maps in.

I fully agree,

They are certainly not the only good re-mappers out there, but likewise there are lots of other tuners who’s maps (they use) are nowhere near as smooth as what Shark offer,

it is also widely accepted that there are very few people who write the maps, most tuning companies just buy the maps in, which providing it’s a good one is not a bad thing, but it also begs the question: who’s map is actually being loaded onto the ECU?

Guilty! I've now had multiple Superchip Bluefins, Revo & JabbaSport remaps as well as a Celtic tuning map and pure and simply looking at the quality of the software (so ignoring the fact their after sales has been the best also so far) they are the best I've had - low down pull, mid range grunt and revs out hard whilst still pulling cleanly to the red line - just awesome out on the road and no signs of drivetrain strain. And yes, they don't all write their own software obviously but some people would be quite surprised by who does and who doesn't in fact. :)
  • Like 1

Guilty! I’ve now had multiple Superchip Bluefins, Revo & JabbaSport remaps as well as a Celtic tuning map .....

Yes I must admit your experience was one of the owners I was referring to as I too have limited hand on experience:

Dragon Digital tuning box - Very good VFM and transformed the car (PD105) giving it much more low down torque, but not 100% smooth.

Shark stage 1 map, 170CR - Ultra smooth delivery and lots of low down torque (and like you experienced great after sales service)

Quantum Tuning stage 1 map, PD130 - Lets just say I am considering getting it removed and either going back to std or Sharked (not overly impressed TBH)

• Like 1

My CRD(e?) tuning box has certainly boosted power but strangely surges all the time, as if cruise control demands hyperactivity.

Economy is unbelievable for an hour then very ordinary the next......very strange as this is supposedly the 'economy' version.

Lots of recent long freeway runs out and back but fuel flow varies from ~3.5 to 5.5 (l/100km) not explained by wind or destination altitude either.....v strange.

Distance traveled for gauge indication seem no better but 'range' way to high to be believed and fill to fill not much improvement over pre box but power up with 'surging' like a subtle throttle pumper.

• 6 months later...

The CR170 diesel with 4x4 is a very good road-weapon. I have driven it 10,000 miles in 4 months and a big chunk of that was around the Scottish Highlands where it's handling belied it's bulk & height, and the acceleration for uphill overtaking was pretty astonishing.

However.... as a track day car... I'm not so convinced.

It's pretty good - for what it is -in the context of a road vehicle.

Compared with other "upright" vehicles (I recently drove a Merc B class for comparison) it's handling is really good.

On a track - I would expect it to be a bit too wallowy and unwieldy - and I would expect the fizzy petrols to be a better bet.

As a noteworthy point - the brakes on the CR170 are phenomenal - and could easily handle significantly extra power.

Embarrassed more powerful machines with a 140tdi DSG :)post-24977-14243533904349_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk