Tell me where (and how) to stick it.

Paul_Bowden

I've recently bought a Coyote GPS driving device (immensely popular here in France, but hardly at all in the UK) and am getting nowhere trying to fix it securely to the dashboard of my Yeti.  The permanent little self-adhesive magnetic base is absolutely rubbish and it just topples over, when there is a bit of vibration or, especially, when the sun shines on it.  I don't want to use the alternative, which is designed to slot into the ventilation grille.  French forums are full of people making the same complaint, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive solution.  As it is just like many other Satnavs - small, rectangular - , I wonder whether anyone else has a solution?

I've got a Tomtom Go 600 which neatly fit in the gap twix A pillar and instrument cowl using the standard winsdsreen attachment with the only issue being the cord which I'm not particularly concerned about from a visual perspective.

My TomTom is very happy living in the dash top box, it fold flat when not in use and the cover conceals it. When required I open the flap, with limiters added into the hinges so it only opens just as far as needed, swivel up the sat nav and plug it in. Works perfectly, and the cover forms a good sunshade for bright conditions. Will only take the smaller size sat navs though, and the Garmin version will not fold flat so can't mount like this.

Aerial for traffic issues is concealed under the dash and inside the pillar trim

Hi Paul.

You might like to check this out, it may give you some ideas: (LINK =) Skoda Yeti - Sat-Nav installation. It's in the (LINK =) Yeti Technical Guides Section With lots of other useful information.

Hope it helps............Regards Tony

I can thoroughly recommend the above idea. After seeing this post the first thing I did upon getting my Yeti was a version of this post. I used a "piggy back" fuse holder instead of drilling and soldering into an existing fuse, and made a small notch in the flap of the dashboard top storage so 12v feed for sat-nav could reach the unit on the windscreen virtually directly above.

Colin

Just got home from a day driving to La Rochelle - sunny, but not amazingly hot - with Coyote wobbling about and sliding off dash.  So very glad to get home and find such helpful replies, for all of which I'm grateful and all of which I'm going to check out;  further thoughts welcome.  (Another instance where this forum has been a brilliant source of info and support.)

To Steph64

Notice that you're  in SW France and just wondering whether you also actually have a Coyote or whether your post is about mounting GPSs in general?  I'm already inclined to go down the route you suggest (beanbag mount from Amazon.fr, Norauto or even Leclerc has some, I gather), but knowing it works with the Coyote would be the decisive factor.

Thanks and best wishes

I mount my phone/sat nav holder on the screen between the binnacle and the dash top cubby. Charger lead just drops straight down to the 12v and not really in the way of anything.

Cheers

Rog