Trouble with my VRS today!

I was on my way home from work just got on the motorway when a flashing symbol on the dash came up (looked like an orange tap or something) then the car started to judder!

So I pulled over in the hard shoulder turned the car off, waited about 20 seconds and then started it again. It started fine so I took off again, fine for about 2 minutes then it did exactly the same thing, I kept going but every time I accelerated it judderd! I waited until I had a bit of clear road and decided to boot it and there was no power at all! Took me ages to get over 80mph.

Luckily got the car home and rang Skoda assistance who are currently on their way out to me.

So before I post on here what the issue is, has anyone heard of this before or know what it could be?

Might be spark plugs, you'll have a recorded misfire stored in your ecu. It may have even gone into "limp" mode by the sounds of it.

Good luck whatever it is, I hope no damage has been done.

Normally when a Misfire Registers you get the EPC Light or the Engine Emission Light or Both, & if you continue to run with the Misfires 

the Turbo is Disabled, and also 2 Cylinders can be Disabled.

Spark Plugs are not Checked at Services, the Service Replacement is at 40,000 miles, and you need to request them being Replaced then or Before.

The Car should be on the VAS at the Service, & Misfires might not throw up Codes if there were not enough in a cycle.

There is a Yellow Oil Can Light, for Low Oil, & Red for Low Oil Pressure,

& there is a Spanner Light for an Overheating DSG.

george

• Like 2

It is common for them to call the Ignition Coil because that is what their reader showed.

But then he only plugged it in did he not, 

never removed the spark plug.

You need all 4 plugs out and checked, and if they are good, then good, just the replaced coil will be it.

Is it Cylinder 2 as he called it, as in the 2nd Cylinder from the Left as you look in the engine compartment?

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

usuall VAG crap coil packs, never known a Marque to have such trouble as they do and has been like this on VAG cars for the last 15 years or so.  Never see these amount of failures on map stuff.  Even BMW 4 cylinders tend to eat coil packs.  Must be a reason

There is.  

Rubbish OEM parts & first and foremost Spark Plugs that may not suit particular engines and engine management, spark plugs overheating, disintegrating. misfiring 

and causing Ignition Coil failure.

A common issue the Dealership Workshops take little notice of, fail to make reports to the Cars Manufacturer about, and the Manufacturer fails to act on,

so they can have vehicles with issues, but not so many reported or logged that they bother when revising  the Engines & Engine Management 

to upgrade the Consumables to suit the performance of the engine.

Even where many Spark Plugs are failing at half the Service Schedule for replacement, they do not change the Service Guidelines or issue a Technical Advice 

Document to advice replacement Sooner due to the experiences, or just that Checks should be carried out to gather evidence or premature failure.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

So it happens again today but this time it was much worse and then the epc light came on as well as the engine management light... Skoda assist yet again on their way out. Spoke to someone in the garage and they said spark plugs should be good for 60,000 miles! But surely this can't just be the spark plugs?

?

Who did you speak to at the Dealership that knows nothing about your car, or the spark plugs or the Service interval.?

Best speak to Trained Technicians or Qualified Motor Engineers, not Receptionists, Clerical Staff or Salespeople about Mechanical Issues.

Ask them to get a Qualified Person to speak to you..

Just My Opinion.

george.

Thats why they did not know about the Spark Plugs used in your car.

Many are not reaching 40,000 miles.

I am not saying you have a Plug failed, but since there is a Misfire that was already Diagnosed as a Ignition Coil, 

that Cylinder needs the Plug Checked.

But the car needs Diagnosed at the garage.

Do you run 99 ron Fuel all the time, or what do you run.

I changed Spark Plugs on a Polo GTI for someone, with Cylinder 3 gone at 15,000 miles, the car was run only on 95 ron and short distances.

It had just been Dealer Serviced, they said the Plug / Plugs could not be needing changed.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/291585-warning-on-spark-plugs14-tsi-cave-vrs-check-the-spark-plugs

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Yep, always run on the highest Ron,they've just diagnosed it and saying that ignition on cylinder 1 has now gone (it was cylinder 2 on Friday) I Think I'll change my plugs as soon as I can anyways just to cross it out as an option

Your car is under warranty.

Pay for nothing. & dont have anyone other than a Skoda Technician touch it.

You need a Skoda Dealer to diagnose what is wrong.  If the Plugs are gone prematurely then Skoda Under Warranty need 

to have a Factory Motor Engineer Inspect the Plugs with a NGK Expert and find out why CTHE Engines are now having Issues.

It needs Investigated now if cars under 2 year old and 25,000 miles are having what can be a major issue.

Possibly Engine Management, or just Component Failure.

THIS IS NOT TO WIND ANYONE UP. IT CAN BE AN ISSUE. & ONE NEEDING ADDRESSING BY SKODA & SKODA UK.

It is not doom and gloom, just important cars get the correct components and Service /Maintenance.

george

No idea what the issue is with it at the moment. The AA man had just as much of a clue as I did. Haven't heard anything since skoda picked up my car. Might ring them tomorrow just to see what's going on. Will update this thread with anything that happens :)

• Like 1

You are unlikely to find out much before Monday, This is one of the busiest weekends of the Year in Showrooms,

& their workshops will have been concentrating on Preperation of New Cars.

I take it the Dealership is just being very relaxed on the matter,

because they will not have a clue, or just not looked.

Raise your Case with Skoda UK on Monday, and see about getting a proper Courtesy Car from the Dealership maybe tomorrow if that suits you.

If there is nothing better than they gave you, ask for the Sales Managers Daily Drive 'Demonstrator '(perk), and give him the 1.2 TSI..

Edited by goneoffSKi

Haha I do find the 1.2 tsi fairly boring as it is the bog standard basic of basic versions. I might go up and see them tomorrow anyways as I left something in my car that I would like to collect. So I'll see what they say :) thanks for the replys. I'll let you know what is wrong with the car when I find out

Got my car back today :) it was a broken spark plug. They have fixed the issue but are now conducting an oil consumption test as the spark plugs were all in really bad shape apparently down to high oil usage.

It has already had an oil consumption test a couple of months after I picked it up but it passed. Gotta take it back after 300 miles so will update this thread with the results.

• Like 1