Broken Fuel Filler Cap

pdrisc

hi all

I managed to snap the locking clip on the fuel filler cap of my Superb the other day. The release mechanism was stuck and i was too "forceful" when gently prising it open. I have seen the other posts on regreasing the locking mechanism because this is the cause of the problem so intend to do that this weekend.

For the outer door I am going to attempt to araldite it but has anyone ever replaced the whole fuel filler cap door? I presume I need to rip out the boot lining to get access but a little bit daunted by it!

Advice would be much appreciated.

post-96497-0-43593000-1411132929_thumb.jpg

hi all

I managed to snap the locking clip on the fuel filler cap of my Superb the other day. The release mechanism was stuck and i was too "forceful" when gently prising it open. I have seen the other posts on regreasing the locking mechanism because this is the cause of the problem so intend to do that this weekend.

For the outer door I am going to attempt to araldite it but has anyone ever replaced the whole fuel filler cap door? I presume I need to rip out the boot lining to get access but a little bit daunted by it!

Advice would be much appreciated.

Hopefully, its broken off in one piece?  if so you should try a "hard plastic" type glue, that will resist water and heat. Traditional Araldite probably wont be up to the job.

When you open the fuel flap door, there is a screw on the left hand side as you look at it - perhaps unscrewing that will enable to whole unit (inc door) to be removed?

The part number for a door is 3T5809857B or 3T9809857 for the combi.

As Coops said, if the single screw is removed and the fuel filler cap is left off (out the way), the whole door/hinge and splash guard comes out as one.

Might be worth stuffing a rag into the fuel filler pipe to stop anything dropping in to it.

The assembly resists movement at first as the soft rubber immediately around the filler neck has to lift over it.

Try pulling the area where near where the screw fits away from the car and then, once it has moved out a bit, outwards and towards the front of the car (no real force needed). Once it starts to come out it's quite sudden, I imagine it would be easy to drop it if you weren't holding the flap door.

I re-greased my lock about a month ago, but already it is no longer as smooth as it was. A new lock is only £22 from a dealer, when I asked,  so maybe that is the better fix?

The boot trim does need to come out to replace the lock, due to its connector being inside the car.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You can get them on ebay for £37 from a dealer it would be around £80 plus VAT. I broke mine when it got stuck shut. However, when the actuator was replaced part cost £17, the flap still locks but only by one of the lugs.

thanks all

Bought a new filler cap assembly and lock mechanism from Skoda in Cardiff and fitted them last weekend. That and another bit came to about £70 total. Bit fiddly to get to switch the lock mechanism as the boot lining has to be released to change the cable but it all went back together without any left over screws and bits!

And when I had the filler cap sprayed a local paint shop did it for free.

Ready for MoT now.