Fault code 16490 / P0106 / 000262

gewstarr

Hi guys!

I have a 2003 Fabia with 16v/75hp 'BBY' engine, and sometimes (usually once or twice every year) the engine light comes on, sometimes (like today) it's accomplished by the EPC light.

Now, I thought I'd get to the bottom of it, instead of just erasing the code (which is luckily done in a heartbeat, using my phone/Bluetooth interface).

65a95b656693883c4a20b6030c90111b.jpg

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16490/P0106/000262 '> http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16490/P0106/000262

It's told that air intake leaks could cause this. So, could anyone with experience in the BBY engine in particular tell me about famous places to look for leaks? It would be much appreciated.

From looking down the bonnet, everything looks pretty much okay with the engine. Of course, I guess I need that special gas to actually see the leaks.

Also, it should be mentioned that the fault code always occurs under heavy stress on low gears, like today I was doing a tight U-turn on 2:nd gear without any pedal involved.

Ideas? Cheers!

Check the vacuum servo line wherever it connects to a barb, if there are splits then cut the split off with a sharp blade and warm the pipe with a cigarette lighter before quickly pushing it back on, you'll almost certainly find at least one split.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there @clark44 and sorry for a really late answer. I sold my Fabia a couple of years ago and [naturally] havn't been that active ever since that. However, due to the great spirit of this community I still sign in occasionally.

Now, to the issue. Actually I never found the culprit, but all advice points towards a small air leak near the intake manifold. Perhaps you've sorted out the issue by now?

Edited by gewstarr

Hi gewstarr. 

I simply clear the fault code with an OBD2 interface. This fault code usually reappears in every 4-5 months, but the car have no any performance problem. 

Anyway, thank you for the response.