Intake temps

Ah OK so the MAP sensor from the Octavia would fit a new OE fatter IC?

Looks like it should do although mine had one attached which I used,

Today in the way home I ragged the living buggery out of it with my OBD READER and engine link, although not the most accurate ( I susspect) the max max I got was 50deg it dropped almost instantly after acceleration to 39 deg so cools down quickly, the ambient temp was 19deg so hotter than yesterday meaning readings would be a tad higher

Still quite happy

Will do, I have a far more qualified mate coming to help when it gets here. I'm in process of the arch vent, looks to be going ok.

I did see for new coolers with the part number above Octy 1.8t and rs were listed in the variants, and on the listing I ordered they state Octy 1.8t, again with that part number stated, so it wasn't complete guess work, still got fingers crossed though.

So just to recap fellas, aquire the fatter standard ic from a golf part no above. Use the map sensor off the octy ic if the fatter ic doesn't have one. And I'm presuming it will fit into the normal place without cutting modifying etc?

So just to recap fellas, aquire the fatter standard ic from a golf part no above. Use the map sensor off the octy ic if the fatter ic doesn't have one. And I'm presuming it will fit into the normal place without cutting modifying etc?

Yep fits straight on, can use either map sensor.

Just make sure the cooler itself has the same part no but ends in F and not S

octy one ends in S

• 3 weeks later...

Had a nosey round the scrap yard yesterday but couldnt find an F. Quite a few ending in D. Not sure about those ones. The search continues.

Ebay mate, won't be as cheap as scrappies but was a decent choice when I looked.  Got mine new for a decent price and a silicone to throttle body hose to go on when my mate gets chance to help, hopefully this weekend I'm getting fed up of moving the box.

Ebay mate, won't be as cheap as scrappies but was a decent choice when I looked. Got mine new for a decent price and a silicone to throttle body hose to go on when my mate gets chance to help, hopefully this weekend I'm getting fed up of moving the box.

There's a few on the bay for £30 give or take. Is yours a genuine vag ic? If you don't mind me asking how much was it new?

No problem, it's not gen vag, its made in Germany then imported and distributed from Hastings (iirc). It was £49 plus p+p. Not sure if being gen vag really matters too much, I might be wrong, suppose time will tell, but it looks exactly the same and its just a metal box with holes in it init really. Id probably rather go new and different make than rely on an unseen used one (decent scrappies here are few and far between).

No I'm not too sure wether it's not genuine makes any difference. Its just the thing that stayed in my mind was BrownBarge playing around with coolers a while ago. He'd originally bought a bigger aftermarket intercooler and he mentioned his car had loads of lag. He then switched to the mk4 golf one as mentioned here and it turned out to be better than the standard vrs one.

I found the aftermarket one he tried and they are much bigger than these. He told me about that when I showed him the one I was thinking of getting ( think there's a link page 1 of this thread), I then followed the part number route for a like for like with golf iv and ended up with this. Noone wants lag, very large one might be ok for mine as,I'm heading towards 225 break but its a bit of a risk for £100 when this has cost me half that. I'm just after that little extra to help match up to the map, so this option made sense.

I'm considering a map as well although the previous owner might have had it done already as the car goes very well. But I don't really want a fmic so just looking at improving the car without changing too much. I did see that link buddy I will have a look. Cheers.

Yeah my budget wont stretch to fmic at the moment, be doing handling next before anything else. As far as power goes I'm just looking for little gains and smooth running, wont be anything else major under the bonnet unless things fail, then I'll probably upgrade.

Getting there now boys, my mate was unable to help so here's a breakdown of my afternoon:

Bumper off

Light out

Cooler out

1x jubilee clip ceased

Jubilee clip sorted

1x MAP sensor screw ceased

Screw sorted (head came off)

AUM cooler loosely positioned, pancake pipe hose on

Cooler to TB silicone upgrade hose too long

Went dark, play ceased

Tomorrow cut hose down, fit, lights in, bumper on, have a razz!

Unfortunately I wont have figures but I've a good feel for the car at the moment and had a long journey other day. Air is pretty cold round here anyway at the moment lol. Important thing is the AUM part does indeed plug straight in as far as brackets and MAP go, might just leave the duct off as it looks as though that will also need trimming due to the new ones extra depth.