Skoda Octavia 3 1.4 TSI 140 HP whining noise at start engine

Yes, direct injection makes a hell of a racket. It could be some cars are louder than others, or it could be that some perceive the volume louder.

I'll let you know if I think my car is loud in about two weeks. I've previously had a mk2 rs, so have another modern DI engine to compare it to. I'm sure others here have as well though...

Maybe going off topic but there are some examples of 1.4 engine noise in this old thread

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/321523-14-tsi-octavia-2014-strange-engine-sound-or-not/?fromsearch=1

Just noticed the whine on starting - seems to depend on how long you hold the ignition key fully round. On mine if you just blip the starter and let go there is no whine.

@hobbie2k

I found someone on Audi forum who gives an explanation that gives you the right:: 

"Its a brief build up of fuel pressure and causes no issue, however, it does give the impression the engine has a mechanical fault, no repair is advised as this is a knock on effect of the delivery pressure from initial cold start, or, brief malfunction of the camshaft positioner, if this is the case then the postioner requires replacement".

Octavia Owners manual page 123:

- The engine running noises may louder at first be louder for a short time after

starting the cold engine. This is quite normal and is not an operating problem.

@ednmra

You use the method "just blip the starter". I tried the method , but in the morning, the engine doesn't start at the first blip . Always work at you ? 

Yes, seems to so far. Haven't noticed the whine either since doing this. I suppose each engine is a bit different, and mine is only on about 350 miles at present.

I got 1.8 TSI DSG with Kessy. Does similar noise for one second on cold start. Fuel consumption pops to ~3 L/h then comes down pretty quickly to like 1.2 L/h (depending what electrical things are turned on). Once warmed up 0.8L/h (coolant and oil to 100 C).

I have not tried to turn off right after the start and trying again, but after going around few corners and staying at the red light or something start stop engages and after starting again it does not do any noise what so ever - bam working from like half turn or something. Even if I turn it off and on again myself

So I guess it is tied into cold start...

For notes I have done 18 000 km - had that noise since day one and it does not really matter if it is -2 C or 25 C

Right, the noise is no matter the outside temperature, so as possible causes :

1 ) starter (although I do not know how the engine is warm, starter becomes silent - possible bush expansion!?!);

2) lack of lubrication at startup (during the engine is stopped, the oil drains back in sump);

3 ) high pressure fuel pump (to pressurize the fuel ramp/rail). The reasons described above are a summary of several forums posts .

I ask true professional mechanics, don't laugh of what I wrote .

I think that after the first start when you hear noise, if you stop the engine and start it immediately, the noise disappears, it means that the starter doesn't make it (it’s no time to warm the bush) .

For notes Octavia 3 1.8 TSI DSG Kessy. Stood @ 17C in underground garage for about 12-14 hours or so. Did first start with the noise, waited xenons to do the dance, switched off, started again without noise.

My verdict: it is normal on first start over some period of time... Mine has done it since day one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbUXi4EX7EY

(Video is unlisted, so you have to know the link to view it)

Edited by conn

I have done ~18 000km and it is from day one - I would say, there is nothing to worry about. Plus there is 5 year warranty.

I had to drive replacement car for a week or so when my car was in bodywork. They gave me 1.2 TSI (no Kessy and manual), the weaker version of 63 kW and it did not do such noise. But hell how slow this thing was... Such an old peoples car or something.

If I remember correct my neighbours wife had WV Passat (about 10 years old) V6 and it did that same sound aswell... Now she is driving 1.4 TSI - I will try to get a glimpse of cold start.

By the way if you already started the car, shut it off and restart does it sound like that again or not (as I said and shown on the youtube, mine only does it once)?

I had to drive replacement car for a week or so when my car was in bodywork. They gave me 1.2 TSI (no Kessy and manual), the weaker version of 63 kW and it did not do such noise. But hell how slow this thing was... Such an old peoples car or something.

I had a nearly new Fabia diesel estate courtesy car while my recall was done. Don't know which engine, probably the 72 bhp one? It was a cosy enough car to drive but when I got my 1.4 TSi back it felt like a racing car. So a vRS must feel like a space rocket!!

I had a nearly new Fabia diesel estate courtesy car while my recall was done. Don't know which engine, probably the 72 bhp one? It was a cosy enough car to drive but when I got my 1.4 TSi back it felt like a racing car. So a vRS must feel like a space rocket!!

Thing is these cars are "ok" if you just "drive" and do not want to overtake a long lorry on a busy road - missus wanted to open the door and give it a kick of boost with a foot :-D I still trust my 1.8. Next one probably will be RS or 4x4 1.8. I have not driven 1.4 but having had 2.0 Mazda 3 110 kW I would say that this 1.4 with ~105 kW has plenty of power. But for the love of god if possible do not get those 1.2 versions (or get at least the beefier version of that engine).

/End offtopic :-P