Headlamp washers

Mph25

Just got back after a short trip where I used the windscreen washers - which triggered off a headlamp wash.  I now have white foam and greasy smears up the bonnet on both sides.  WTF?

The why was why did it come to you like that. did some one put something in a bottle that they should not have done. Would put a simely but cant get the one I want to work.

Wow, you've never had to top up since you bought it - must be very dry where you live??!  I get some greasy residue up the bonnet sometimes but I have to top up once a week due to the amount of use and there is probably some contamination in the reservoir at this stage.

I just wash the car frequently! Weather has been fairly dry though or raining hard doing the job for me. Seems to gave disappeared after leaving the car for a while. Very odd though!

I agree, the new gen central electronics controller ballsed it up.

I had a MY07 Jetta, and the CE controller let you specify a delay before the headlamp washers worked.  I set mine to 3 seconds, so I had to hold in the windscreen washers for 3 seconds before the headlamps would wash.  They'd still only wash on the 1st and 5th wash after ignition on.

The current CE in my MY13 Superb doesn't have the delay, so it always washed on the 1st and 5th pulls of the stalk.  After a while I just turned the damned things off (un-tick headlamp washers installed).  Technically unroadworthy now but makes me much happier.

It's only screenwash, nothing to worry about.

Looked bloody awful when I got out of the car - an oily rainbow effect from the front of the bonnet right up to the windscreen covering the whole width of the sloping edges of the bonnet! :(

I try to avoid washing my windscreen at slow speeds. In my experience the mess is much less when they headlight washers are activated at speed.

Good thinking!