Found a car but its showing as stolen?

Hi all.

Ive been searching for an Octavia vrs diesel estate and have found one on ebay.

Its very well specced and seems well priced for the spec and age etc against other cars.

It is a private sale though.

Ive done a couple of HPI checks on the car and it is showing as stolen in 2013.
Speaking to the owner he says it was stolen and recovered the next day with no damage apart from locks which were replaced. It wasnt recorded as stolen recovered as the insurance didnt pay out anything?

Should I be wary of buying it?

I had managed to negotiate on the price a little but this was before I had done the checks. seller is refusing to budge any more as he says its a bargain as it is?

What do you think ??

should it be worth less??

Can i post a link up to the car?

Cheers

Steve

Being on HPI will affect its resale value by some considerable margin, if the price being asked is close to book then only buy if you can get a good discounted price.

It could be the seller was unaware of the HPI record, who paid for the locks as if it were the insurance it will be classed as a payout and recorded.

I had a colleague who bought a used car from a private dealer.

Within a week, he was pulled over by Police and arrested for driving a stolen car - eeeek!

Transpires all this had been resolved, but updates to the system the Police checks wasn't done.

Still, it was an unpleasant experience.

Bargain s are to be had.

Just beware of the reasons...

The thing is, there is nothing special about it, it's just an average car, there's so many out there to choose from why bother to set yourself up for a potential headache, personally I would just wait out for another one to pop up.

^^^ This

The fact he has stated it as HPi and it's not says he is concealing the truth.

Anything else he tells you is probably just as unreliable.

It could well have been probably trashed and repaired by him, who knows. He ain't going to tell you.

Steer clear & buy a nice one :)

• Like 2

^^^ This

The fact he has stated it as HPi and it's not says he is concealing the truth.

Anything else he tells you is probably just as unreliable.

It could well have been probably trashed and repaired by him, who knows. He ain't going to tell you.

Steer clear & buy a nice one :)

I couldn't agree more. Run away from this one.  Its been well worth the few quid it costs for a HPI check.

As I said on your other (identical) post,

renton, on 17 Dec 2014 - 14:31, said:snapback.png

.......Ive done a couple of HPI checks on the car and it is showing as stolen in 2013.
Speaking to the owner he says it was stolen and recovered the next day with no damage apart from locks which were replaced. It wasnt recorded as stolen recovered as the insurance didnt pay out anything?

Should I be wary of buying it?

Bit of a contradicition there don't you think?  If the car wasn't recorded as stolen recovered then how come an HPI check has it showing as stolen in 2013???

I think some of the views on here are perhaps a little harsh. Ok the car was stolen, the locks busted and replaced but whose to say its history is any more chequered than that.

In fairness a car involved in a bad accident but not written off and properly insurance repaired wont carry any marker and doesnt need to be divulged (know this for a fact as Ive been there). The guy may not have realised its stolen status would show and perhaps just thought why mention it as its only likely to deter buyers.

I figure if you like the car, go and look at it and pay to have it properly assessed if youre at all concerned. Seems to me on first look to be a pretty genuine looked after car with reasonable mileage and full dealer history. Also cars with that kind of spec arent that straightforward to come by.

Also its status will also give you some room to drive a bit of a discount.

Shame did also mean to say that its status would have an impact on its retail price; £10295 is strong money for a perfect 10 plate CR with that kind of mileage. He'll probably be doing well to get 9-9.5k for it; i'd be walking too if theres no opportunity to negotiate downwards.

We had agreed at 9.5 k before I found out about its status and then there was no more movement.

It does look a nice car but i would be worried about selling it on in the future.

I don't feel it's worth 9.5. I just hope someone doesn't fall foul of it.

I have said that he needs to ammend his eBay ad as its misleading

On the basis its stolen recovered I agree the seller needs to be a little more realistic about how the car is going to sellm

He's likely kidding himself now if he thinks he can get A1 money for what is effectively a stolen recovered car, regardless of the truth behind it.

Also agree that now the cat is out of the bag he should also put serious consideration into advising its status in the Ad.

Best of luck with your search there are plenty more out there.

But if it was stolen and reported to the police then it will be so on their database until cleared by them. That is one of the checks the HPI will do as well as the insurance database so even though there may not be an insurance claim recorded against it, there will be a stolen marker which means every time you pass a patrol car with ANPR you will get pulled over and questioned. I am with the majority in saying you are right to walk away, there are plenty of cars out there and the right one will turn up one day.

Ian

Agree with him if a car has been Stolen recovered with no damage done to the vehicle and no insurance payout then it should not affect value of the car

If however the car was stolen and a few bits stripped and I surname declared it a cat C because it was un economical to repair then it would affect value on books by 20%

Personally I couldn't care less about a car with history as long as it's been repaired and driveable

What ever makes u sleep at night