Roof bar bolts--again!

yetiscot

I am in the process of swapping my 110se for a 170 Elegance

I fitted the standard Skoda roof bars to my old car, 3 years ago, with the special tapered bolts. I recall they were very tight to go in and now they wont come out.

The bolts are a a bit of of a mad price at £12 for four, so that's £24 plus p&p! Part code  LAS630010 refers

Firstly does anyone know if there is a part code for eight of the things which might save me a few bob or any other suggestions would be welcome. As an aside I note that there is a bit of surface corrosion on the old bolts which may be reflected in the interior of fittings, which might be part of the problem, plus the cold weather setting the loctite really hard.

I've only seen packs of 4 for sale.

Are your current bolts the black ones which as I read they were changed to stainless steel ones due to some fault. The newer type bolts are also fitted with an Allen key rather than a torque wrench which I've read was the method for installing the original type.

The newer Yetis also only have 8 holes on the rails were the older ones had 10.

Edited by j3bnl

if you get 'em out , replace 'em using normal socket head(allen)  screws, obtainable from a local engineering supply company

Can't do it unfortunately they are tapered and have a groove machined in them which the bar uses to hold it in position

Edited by yetiscot

I've only seen packs of 4 for sale.

Are your current bolts the black ones which as I read they were changed to stainless steel ones due to some fault. The newer type bolts are also fitted with an Allen key rather than a torque wrench which I've read was the method for installing the original type.

The newer Yetis also only have 8 holes on the rails were the older ones had 10.

Yes I can only find the packs of four[ something for the weekend sir?] I have the silver coloured ones which are a pretty low grade stainless steel as they are corroding a bit. Mine are a torx fitting which are resisting all attempts to move them. I was hoping there would be a 8 bolts available as a set to replace them as I am aware the new FL Yeti only has 8 sockets in the roof bars

Edited by yetiscot

If you have used Locktite thread glue it should prevent corrosion on the thread. Try to warm up the bolt area, it should melt glue so that you can open the bolt. If you don't have a heater tool a hair dryer will do the job.

But if you do get them out with thread left in the blind nuts then Loctite, epoxy etc would work, I would use epoxy rapid, its softer than the traditional stuff and is easily softened with a hair dryer(model boating experience/practise!)

If the original bolts are a bit corroded it's maybe worth getting a new set?

I've just installed my bars a week ago and the bolts seem high quality,

Having read through some of the other threads on here regarding the bolts in appears you got a choice of colour (SS or black) originally depending on your roof rails colour and the rails had 10 pre- installed holes. The later pre-facelift cars and facelift models only have 8 so maybe the bolts are now of a better quality?

Yes I have just about accepted that it will be a lot easier to leave the old bolts insitu for the new owner to sort out--I can see me getting half of them out and stripping the threads or some other disaster on the remainder--think its better to leave well alone and you never know the new owner might want a Skoda roof bar set so at least that will save him/her a job.!

In the scale of things £24 for 8 bolts isn't much when you think about the cost of my new car I suppose.

And no  jokes about Scots being tight please!--just careful-right!

Yes I have just about accepted that it will be a lot easier to leave the old bolts insitu for the new owner to sort out--I can see me getting half of them out and stripping the threads or some other disaster on the remainder--think its better to leave well alone and you never know the new owner might want a Skoda roof bar set so at least that will save him/her a job.!

In the scale of things £24 for 8 bolts isn't much when you think about the cost of my new car I suppose.

And no  jokes about Scots being tight please!--just careful-right!

I think leaving them in is the sensible option, as you say £24 isn't much in the over all scheme of things when compared to the cost of the Yeti.

• 8 years later...

Had my 1st 2016 L&K  Yeti Written off out side my house and the one thing I forgot to get out was these pesky bolts , that was 22-10-23. now into my 2nd Yeti 2015 L&K Yeti did not have them, so reading the above has saved a lot of heart ache in that they can only be removed twice or trice , have to spend £48 for (£19 each set) 2 sets is terrible but a must if I want the rails back on. 

Thanks for all the above comments, they helped.

On 20/12/2014 at 12:42, yetiscot said:

I am in the process of swapping my 110se for a 170 Elegance

I fitted the standard Skoda roof bars to my old car, 3 years ago, with the special tapered bolts. I recall they were very tight to go in and now they wont come out.

The bolts are a a bit of of a mad price at £12 for four, so that's £24 plus p&p! Part code  LAS630010 refers

Firstly does anyone know if there is a part code for eight of the things which might save me a few bob or any other suggestions would be welcome. As an aside I note that there is a bit of surface corrosion on the old bolts which may be reflected in the interior of fittings, which might be part of the problem, plus the cold weather setting the loctite really hard.

£12 for 4 is cheap compared to the £80+ I was quoted, buy them.

What happens is that often the bolts are done up too tight, they should only be just over finger tight 7nm.

If they are too tight the threads don't strip, the threaded insert in the roof rail starts to spin rendering it useless.

I have done two swaps but am not doing it again.

• Like 3