16 inch spare wheel on an elegance?

Recently purchased my 2011 elegance estate, hasn't got a spare, dad has located me a space saver from a Leon but it's only 16inch, hope to never use it but standards are 18's assume a 16 will still clear brakes etc? If anyone knows

The 16" wheels should be fine, I have 17" wheels with a 16" spare on my Yeti and that has the larger brake set up as it is the 170bhp diesel. I am running 16" steel winter wheels at the moment and although it looks tight it runs just fine.

Ian

• Like 1

Excellent thank you guys, had a notion both wheels on the same axle had to be the same size by wheel/profile size haven't needed a spare wheel in ten years but nice to have some backup :-). And it seems to be really good condition if it has ever been even used

Excellent thank you guys, had a notion both wheels on the same axle had to be the same size by wheel/profile size haven't needed a spare wheel in ten years but nice to have some backup :-). And it seems to be really good condition if it has ever been even used

If you look closely you will see the 16" has a slightly higher profile so that the rolling radius of both tyres are about the same so it will be fine, although because they are slightly different that is the reason the spare has the speed and distance warnings on it.

Ian

The answer is simple: A 16" spare is no problem, unless you have a V6, in that case a 16" spare won't fit on your front axle. (But it will still fit on the rear, so there's a 50% chance that you can still use it :D )

• Like 1

Yeah I know the profiles are different but even still the spare is definitely smaller, perhaps as it is from a Leon it's slightly smaller

Standard spare is 205/55 x 16". If you have 225/40 x 18" fitted as standard that means 0.9% difference in circumference between 16" and 18" tyres. You'll get more of a difference between a new and worn tyre of the same, given a new tyre has approximately 8mm tread against a worn tyre with 1.6mm tread depth. Check to see what the aspect ratio is on the spare you have.

• Like 1