Very specific electrical problems - I think

Hi all and thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give me.

I recently replaced the passenger side regulator of my octavia VRS 2002. It was completely a mechanical failure, the wire had corroded, snapped and wrapped around the motor and it made some nasty noises when activated. So I assumed an easy fix. Second hand regulator (€50) fitted using a few of the helpful threads on here. 

The window initially worked fine, so I bolted everything back up only to discover it had stopped working. I assumed a frayed wire was shorting somewhere or a loose connection .I took it all apart again, but no easy visible problems. so I put it back together for another day. Going to work the next morning I noticed the central locking from the fob wasn't working and all of the other electric windows had stopped working (from the drivers door and their individual switches). Since, I've noticed the interior lights don't work (either auto on the door, or manually). 

Interestingly if I disconnect the battery to reset, the passenger window will work from the passenger door (but not from the drivers door) for a little while before giving up again. This temporary fix doesn't work for anything else. Locking and unlocking from the Drivers door works for all the doors except the passenger door.

Having read a few threads here I've checked the Reg pins for corrosion and the wires as they enter the door, they all look good. I also tried reconnecting the old Reg (without fitting it) to see if the secondhand one was the problem. 

I'm beginning to think I might have to give in and bring it to a mechanic. If anybody can help I'd really appreciate it.

Hmmm you say you've checked the multiplug? That and fatigued/breaking wires in the loom would be my first suspects. It may be that wires look ok, but actually are breaking up within the insulation, particularly through door pillars as you say. I'd probably try a more thorough check with a multimeter and be absolutely sure the multiplug is all good. There could be a fault within the multiplug module, but I'm not sure that's particularly common. Your interior lights issue is probably down to the microswitch in the lock mech. You can either get a switch from maplin dig it out and solder new one in or get a pattern part lock mech, they're probably you're cheapest options for checking that. Does this also coincide with your lights left on buzzer not working?

Your passenger door may not be unlocking because of something as simple as dry catches, get the door card off and lube the hell out of the mech. If you replace drivers door mech lube the hell out of that before you fit it too.

I'm no sparky, but as said I'd be looking to thoroughly check multiplug and wiring, beyond that I'd suspect the module. Water ingress through the door can cause all sorts of problems.

Have a look in the tech section, I posted up how to check and protect multiplugs, and Bowders had a sticky in this section about microswitch/mech removal.

Thanks for the reply YellowCar,

I went to check the lights left on buzzer, it's broken, which is really useful to know because I use it . . . often.

One last possible problem that has just occurred to me is that I didn't reconnect the retrofitted puddle LEDs. I have no idea who put them on or how, so possibly they're spliced into something important. I'll check that this evening.

Failing that I'll borrow a multimeter from work tomorrow and give everything I can reach a Good check (I'm looking for 12.4V?). The only other thing I can add is that passenger door mechanism was working before the Reg "fix". This makes me think it isn't dry catches.

I'll let you know how I get on

Ah ok, but yeah definitely check something wasn't snagged with the led fit. The window regulator can also rub on the loom, particularly the front runner so check there too.

I hear you about the buzzer, it's one of the few inventions that means a driver has to think less that I'm actually thankful for! Keep us posted.

The puddle lights may have been (badly) series wired into the light circuit rather than parrallel causing that problem... everytilhing else sounds like a poorly wire in the loom being pulled apart a little bit more on each window/lock cycle

post-129517-0-16832900-1429560839_thumb.png

So I went over it with a multimeter. The diagram show where there was a pin (white) where there wasn't (Black) and anywhere there was power I wrote it in there.

I don't know what each pin relates to or if they should have power . Is there a thread here for that already?

IT seems like a broken wire/s. The only unaccounted for thing would be the fact that the passenger window works briefly after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Any possible explanations for this?

After this I think I'm going to find a good Auto electrician and hopefully get it sorted out.

Thanks for all the help