DSG Remap

most certainly worth it......

i got a dsg performance tune from hp performance.  it claims the following:-

• Modified torque limiter & torque capacity upgrade 450 – 500nm
  • Modified D - Drive mode for better drivability (gear closely matched to engine load & vehicle speed)
  • The S - Sport program is "lowered" for better usability
  • Faster shift response (especially for the older models)
  • All new software is based on the newest VAG version
  • Clutch shudder is dramatically reduced
  • Longer life of gearbox & clutch packs, less clutch slip

its like driving a different beast altogether!!!

i'm actually liking sport mode now.

• Like 2

• Modified D - Drive mode for better drivability (gear closely matched to engine load & vehicle speed)

its hard to make my mind up as good chuck of money to spend extra is your combined with a engine remap

If it adjusts the gear choice at a given speed, does fuel economy take a hit?

Also, does it prevent kick-down in 'flappy paddle' manual mode? That's bloody annoying!

• Like 1

If it adjusts the gear choice at a given speed, does fuel economy take a hit?

Also, does it prevent kick-down in 'flappy paddle' manual mode? That's bloody annoying!

I thought i looked and if you go into sports mode it changes it to fully manual on paddle and removes kick down catches you out sometimes 

• Like 1

fuel economy doesn't take a hit as the dsg remap holds its ground longer, i.e. its not constantly switching up, or down, the gears!!

kickdown is still there, but its different, in a nice addictive way :)

the kickdown down in sport mode, with the dsg remap, is a wonderful blip.  to a point i put it into sport mode purposely so i can feel/hear those gear changes when down-shifting.

in manual mode, u have full control, so u need to remember to either shift up/down.

one day i'll take a vid off it and share it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

JR,

Do you remember how much your Harding Performance DSG remap cost?

Volkspower in Melbourne is currently quoting $1,500 for the basic DQ200 remap.

Which seems like a lot - Harding's own website is listing $1,250 .... which still seems like a lot.

JR,

Do you remember how much your Harding Performance DSG remap cost?

Volkspower in Melbourne is currently quoting $1,500 for the basic DQ200 remap.

Which seems like a lot - Harding's own website is listing $1,250 .... which still seems like a lot.

Blimey that's alot here they charge around 300 pound mark

Is that ~300 pound mark for any particular brand of remap?

Or is the Harding one?

I suspect it may come down to what we call the "Australia Tax" ... a lack of competition and an abundance of people with spare cash results in absolutely silly prices on all sorts of things.

• Like 1

Is that ~300 pound mark for any particular brand of remap?

Or is the Harding one?

I suspect it may come down to what we call the "Australia Tax" ... a lack of competition and an abundance of people with spare cash results in absolutely silly prices on all sorts of things.

Thats a revo map and 350 for sharks

Thats a revo map and 350 for sharks

Don't think those are in reference to DSG tunes, but do correct me if I am wrong.

Either way, it's  true about the "Australia Tax" .. we do live on the otherside of the world and apparently I was told that a machine needs to be delivered to the place doing the DSG tune, it's not a laptop job (told to me by someone who has had the Harding Performance DSG tune on his Golf R).

Don't think those are in reference to DSG tunes, but do correct me if I am wrong.

Either way, it's  true about the "Australia Tax" .. we do live on the otherside of the world and apparently I was told that a machine needs to be delivered to the place doing the DSG tune, it's not a laptop job (told to me by someone who has had the Harding Performance DSG tune on his Golf R).

Me thinks that is just how they justify their price and stop you from figuring out you can do it yourself.

When I asked what was involved in the Harding Performance DSG remap the shop staff told me they needed the car twice, 1st time for about 20 minutes to get the DSG map file off the car, then they email it to Harding, Harding then email back a modified DSG map file. then they want the car a 2nd time (ie next day) to upload the Harding DSG map file onto the car.

That sounds exactly like the method described under the do-it-yourself "Powerflash" method on the CustomCode website ... where they send you a OBDport-USB cable and a CD, you plug your own laptop into your car, extract your file yourself, email it to them, they email back a modified version, then you upload it to your car yourself.

CustomCode charges about $950 (in pounds equiv) for this.

Does anyone know how CustomCode and Revo or Sharks compare?

Edited by WSDsmurf

with the hp performance version - they plug a special computer directly to the dsg unit in the engine bay, not through the obd port next to the bonnet release lever.

this involves removing the airbox in order too gain access to the dsg comm port.

the 1st read "scans" ur car's current setup (tunes, mods etc etc), and sends the file to hp performance.  after 12-24 hrs, the "customised" tune, specific to the car, is sent back to the apr dealer, who then loads the new file, using the special computer again, directly to the dsg unit.

apparently hp performance have only 1 one, yup just the one, special computer in the whole of oz.  so it needs to be planned!!

when i had mine done, during testing, with the 1st load of the dsg tune, it wouldn't go into 2nd gear while in manual mode.  sport and drive modes were fine though.  the techo wasn't sure why. didn't make sense.  

unloaded the dsg tune, back to stock, and test run was fine.  

reloaded the dsg tune, and again, 2nd gear no good in manual mode.  

so he re-scanned the dsg again and got hp performance to re-create another dsg tune file.

second time round (2 weeks later, cause we had to wait for the special computer to be available again), it was all good.  techo happy, me happy.