Valve timing was out - thanks guys!

Finally got my 'rough idle' problem sorted - thanks to advice and posts on this forum!

My new 2010 1.6 CR diesel Octavia had been 'hunting' at idle, and had cut out on both my wife and myself at junctions due to the poor idling. Something had to be done!

Checking out these forums, it seemed that if a new timing belt was incorrectly installed the valve timing could be out by up to 1 tooth of the belt, and that could be causing the rough idle: other options included exhaust sensors misreading and injectors.

The car has done about 80 000 miles, about 6000 on a new timing belt put on by the previous owner.

Booked the car into my local Skoda dealership (Ingrams of Ayr), explained the symptoms and put forward the suggestions from the forum. I also asked them to change the oil - reading the forums these engines seem to need good quality oil, and I didn't know which oil was in it - but it had definitely been over-filled, another no-no from forum posts.

Ingrams quoted £78/hour for using their diagnostic hardware, which I think is a  bit on the steep side but I guess is the going rate.

Anyway, it turned out the valve timing was out, by 1/2 tooth, but everything else checked out fine. Ingrams offered to re-time the belt and check out the pulleys etc, or if I insisted they'd fit a new timing kit. They were confident the belt was in good nick and a genuine Bosch part, so they just re-timed the valves and did the oil change. They also were confident no damage would have been done - apparently the engine management system can control valve timing so no real power would have been going through the mis-timed valves, potentially blowing away my valve seats. I hadn't been losing power, and the MPG seeme to be sitting around 55 according to the dash, so I guess that's true.

Spectacular difference in the car! Brilliant result! Ticks over like a mini-RollsRoyce, and pulls smoothly and predictably away from junctions. Peachy.

To me, the best value doesn't always go with the cheapest cost - Ingrams may have cost more than the tyre and exhaust specialst the previous owner used, but £ for £ the value they offer is streets ahead!

My moral dilema now is - should I contact the previous owner and advise against using that garage? Or should I just live and let live?

• Like 1