Paint blisters, zinc inclusion & rust!

Bilsten

I've recently ordered a Yeti Outdoor 2l tdi 150 L&K in moon white. Ive added the removable tow bar, heated washers, 12 speaker upgrade, rear mud flaps, spare wheel and smart link. Being built wk commencing 7/9/15 I'm told.

I thought I'd done some serious research before I'd ordered it but now I'm seeing tons of stuff on the net about paint blisters on doors caused by zinc inclusion turning to rust. In some cases appearing on cars within months of being built. Some people having to get the doors re sprayed multiple times after serious arguments with dealers who blame it on stone chips when it's a known problem. Is this really a problem? Seriously considering cancelling my order. I've had 13 SEAT's over 26 yrs with not one single problem. Someone please restore my rapidly fading desire to own a Yeti!

Not heard of any on FL Yetis (yet) but seemed most common on early pre-FL vehicles (up to c.2011).

If not worry about it until / unless it happens.

• Like 1

I've heard a rumour that the factory being used at that time was located near a major commercial train depot and the increased levels of pollutants from the train emissions was getting into the paint factory.

No idea if this is true or not. And it does seem odd that only(?) the rear doors are affected.

• Like 1

hmm the Yeti is produced at Kvasiny which has been making cars since the 1930s. It currently makes the Superb, the Yeti and until recently the Roomster. If yiur theory were true then other models would share the problem

• Like 1

I don't know what 'orange peel' indicates but mine has none but I've seen it often on Mercs.

Mines was painted in winter (Jan. 2012) assuming a damp atmosphere compared to summer would that be a factor in reduced industrial pollution?.

Edited by Ryeman
  • Like 1

hmm the Yeti is produced at Kvasiny which has been making cars since the 1930s. It currently makes the Superb, the Yeti and until recently the Roomster. If yiur theory were true then other models would share the problem

Was just something I heard in conversation but had no evidence either way.

Did seem odd that only rear doors on Yetis were affected though.

• Like 1

Well, I've now sold my 2010 (60-reg) Yeti, and have been thinking about posting my "very long term review" of it,  but I did notice a small rust spot appearing on the front passenger door. Near the bottom, just on the edge. There was also a very small rust spot just starting to bubble through the paint right in the middle of the door. I had just assumed it had been dinged in a carpark at some point, and I hadn't noticed before the rust set in.  The rest of the car seemed in good condition with no other rust that I could see.  Mine did have the "off road pack" with the protective door films, and front+rear mudflaps.  I think the film has helped keep the paintwork in good condition.

• Like 1

Not heard of any on FL Yetis (yet) but seemed most common on early pre-FL vehicles (up to c.2011).

If not worry about it until / unless it happens.

Sadly not -reports over on the yeti owners club website have shown it to affect FL vehicles also.

Did seem odd that only rear doors on Yetis were affected though.

Again, not factually correct. Plenty of owners have had it happen on the front doors also.