Comments on this please, VRS more miles than advertised

Ant FR

i have but i drove another estate today, they do handle differently, 

I also drove a Polo Gti 1.8...........oh dear, they are blooming lovely.  So my car back and wait till next year.

will stick details of the estate up once i have handed back, but nobody should touch it as it sounds like a blooming tractor, 

• Like 1

Antfr....you seem to know a bit about cars. How come you didn't pick up on the engine sounding so bad when you test drove/went to view?

Not trying to sound like a knob by asking. Just surprised really as aside from checking for damage, checking oil and listening for engine problems is something most people do(even if they don't know what they are looking for)

Like I say, I'm just asking a genuine question that's all bud.

Is the noisy engine there from the off regardless of oil temp? What do you think was making the noise? Is it top end tap or rattle or bottom end knocking?

Was it a private first owner or company owned?

Lots of perfectly good Twinchargers run crap for a while after having been at a Dealership as a Sales Car.

Maybe they have been to the Auction or just on the forecourt, had some Italian Tuning to see how it goes and get the rust off the discs, DSG behaving as the various drivers treated it etc.

& even a 12,000 mile car might / can be needing new spark plugs because one is on the way out from the car doing 12,000 miles on what ever fuel. Many people only ever bought 95 ron.

?

What is this first 10 second noise that is mentioned,?

never heard it myself from trying many twinchargers.

Pinking, and misfires from 95 ron or a Spark Plug misfiring is something i often hear with looking at used Twinchargers,

even almost new Demonstrators.

The CTHE engine is having it at lower mileage than the CAVE because of the Mapping VW did to get the engine using less oil.

They changed the recommended spark plugs eventually, 

but not the Service Schedule on them, and one is still failing and the Servicing is not picking up on it until 

a Driver Complains, and even still not then, because.   The Diagnostic does not show misfires, and they do not whip out all 4 plugs 

to inspect and see the one starting to fail.

Sharkrider and other CTHE Owners have had Spark Plugs replaced, and replaced under warranty.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

got my hatch back this morning........................all i am going to say is night and day difference, an extra 14k miles and hard ones at that, but services and looked after right and mine purrs compared to that estate. 

The dealer have asked for feedback on the estate, but top end rattle is there, although they appeared interested i doubt they will do anything other than stick it straight on the forecourt......avoid!!!

some cash has passed my way, car was all cleaned and also had new number plates.  All i can say is i am over the moon this experience is over and pleased i got my hatch back.   What was i thinking......lol

i think the car felt even better as the last two weeks i have done just over a 1200 miles in my stripped out civic.....lol  but when i dropped the estate off this morning i could see the difference, had i not known i would have sworn the newer car was mine.

Why has it taken so long for you to get it back?

VW finance,,,,,,,,,,  They were unable to unwind the completion of my old finance and because there is only 10 months left on my hatch they were struggling to set up a new loan for 10 months.  The compliance officer in me had to gulp a little when the dealer principle said this morning its the same deal but better, we've got the SPR down compared to your old one.......................yeah the annual rate does kind of drop when you are doing a 10 month term FFS

got my hatch back this morning........................all i am going to say is night and day difference, an extra 14k miles and hard ones at that, but services and looked after right and mine purrs compared to that estate. 

The dealer have asked for feedback on the estate, but top end rattle is there, although they appeared interested i doubt they will do anything other than stick it straight on the forecourt......avoid!!!

some cash has passed my way, car was all cleaned and also had new number plates.  All i can say is i am over the moon this experience is over and pleased i got my hatch back.   What was i thinking......lol

i think the car felt even better as the last two weeks i have done just over a 1200 miles in my stripped out civic.....lol  but when i dropped the estate off this morning i could see the difference, had i not known i would have sworn the newer car was mine.

Having owned an estate for a few months and driven 4 or 5 hatches I personally would say there wasn't night and day difference, just a slightly softer suspension set up. I take it you mean the difference in the returned car and your hatch?

Do you think that the estate in question was a duffer? If so what do you thing the reasons are? Bump steer or damaged engine of sorts?

When you say top end rattle was present is this a common thing? What can rattle at the top end apart from a timing chain guide or tesioner? Obviously a valvetrain can be noisy but that would be tappety imho - what issue are you referring to?

Cheers   :sun:

• 2 weeks later...

Omg how lucky am I that I just stumbled across a post you made with a video of this car with the reg number on and I recognized it! I was torn between this one and a rallye green one but after reading this post my mind is pretty made up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Omg how lucky am I that I just stumbled across a post you made with a video of this car with the reg number on and I recognized it! I was torn between this one and a rallye green one but after reading this post my mind is pretty made up.

good, pleased .  The ******* took the car back, they asked me exactly what was wrong with it and i told them the engine was very rattly, timing chain i would say awful car, They said "we'll get that in the workshop and give it a full go ver as you sound like you know your VRS's............

12hrs later said car was back on the skoda website up for sale, then to top it off, when i handed the car back on the wednesday it had 12200 miles on the clock ( i took a photo) the next day its listed on skoda site as 14500 miles.  I can honestly say never buy a car from beadles in Maidstone, the dealer principle even had a book on his desk entitled " how to sell absolutely anything to anybody"  i tried to get a picture but they have been shocking.

However what do you expect when skoda dealers are paid a unit price regardless of what they sell.

just pleased my lovely hatch is back in my hands, i won;t look to change it for next 3 yrs, will be paying settlement figure in june when finance is up.

• Like 1