Bonnet Won't Open

Gave our 2013 1.6 TDI a service today which went without issue.  However, when I tried to close the bonnet, it wouldn't close.  I checked the lever inside and it was in the pulled position.  I pushed it back and bonnet closed.

I then took the car for a drive and afterwards went to have one final check of the fuel and oil filters.  However the bonnet wouldn't open.  I pulled the lever, but it wouldn't pop.  The car is still in warranty so I called the dealer here in Dublin who said they would get someone to call me back but didn't. :devil:

Has anyone experienced this?  It sounds like the cable has either stretched or become detached at the bonnet or lever end.  I would guess the lever end is more likely as it's a  bit on the flimsy side.

I would be surprised if it has snapped unless the lever pulls really easily without resistance. It sounds like it might have become detached at the lever end (in the footwell). If you don't need to access the engine for a day or two get it to a dealer to sort it out under warranty. Time aside, should not be too much of an inconvenience. Let us know how you get on?

Dave

Had a better look today.  When I pull back the lever and look behind it, I can see the small metal ball in its location.  However, there's no sign of the cable.  I can safely assume that the cable has snapped.

I will contact the dealer again tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this one.  Was at the dealer and they diagnosed that the bonnet latch had seized.  They had to get to the latch to manually release it from under the car.  Once they greased it up it worked fine.  I'll keep an eye on it for lubrication in the future.