Bad dashboard rattle

Hello,

Took delivery of a new (last of the 2015 MY) Octavia Elegance last week. Love it, but a truly horrendous dashboard rattle has developed. It's not something that can be masked with the radio. It seems to come from somewhere within the centre of the dash, perhaps toward the windscreen.

I've read about other rattles but nothing like this. Any similar experience out there?

I had a pretty bad rattle somewhere around the steering wheel. Dealer took it back in and sorted out a few bits in drivers footwell and steering column. No questions asked really. If it's there that badly you'll have no trouble demonstrating it to the service people who should sort it out under warranty without any hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DravenSteel
  • Like 1

Wiring vibrating behind the touchscreen? Mine has something similar...just learnt to deal with it as Id rather that than the dealers take it apart, damage the trim and either dont fix it or make it worse.

Ive not had a VAG car for a few years that hasnt rattled at all in some way.....personally whilst they are still v good compared to their peers I dont think they make them quite like they used to.

I've not heard of anything like this, although small rattles seems fairly common after a few months in the Octavia (b-pillar & windscreen deflectors come to mind).

I would take it straight back to the dealer & keep taking it back until you are happy with the solution & that they havent created any more rattles removing components to solve it.

Don't wait to take it back as in the first few weeks the dealership will still be keen to get your "100% satisfaction" rating from Skoda.

After this, its more difficult to get them to investigate small problems like this.

Do you have the "sounds generator"?

• Like 1

I took it back today, and they acknowledged that there was a bad rattle. The technician is going to remove the glove compartment as it's the only way to access the underside of the dashboard. I think it will be an awful job.

They've given me a Citigo. It's quite fun.

• Like 1

I took it back today, and they acknowledged that there was a bad rattle. The technician is going to remove the glove compartment as it's the only way to access the underside of the dashboard. I think it will be an awful job.

They've given me a Citigo. It's quite fun.

I had a CitiGo Monte Carlo last time my car went in.....liked it that much I would consider buying one as a 2nd car.

Was surprised how premium it felt and whilst it wasnt particularly quick of course the endearing 3 cyl thrum (starting to sound a little like an air cooled porsche when thrashed) and great handling made me smile.

Only real downside is the boot....you'd fit nothing of real use in itbar perhaps a couple of bags of shopping.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, new to the Skoda as I purchased the RS162 for Christmas. How did this dash rattle end up? what was the cause?

I have a dash rattle from the very first day I drove out of the showroom (21/12/15) that happens between 1700-2000 rpm and more evident in the Normal Mode. I can't touch anything on the dash that will stop it or identify it and as a driver I think its coming from front dash left and the passenger thinks it coming from the front dash right. So the conclusion is in the middle.

It seems like under the centre dash Canton speaker cover but isn't the speaker cover itself.

Is there a centre dash securing bolt under this speaker that could be loose? 

Anyone had this problem??

Craig

Hi guys, new to the Skoda as I purchased the RS162 for Christmas. How did this dash rattle end up? what was the cause?

I have a dash rattle from the very first day I drove out of the showroom (21/12/15) that happens between 1700-2000 rpm and more evident in the Normal Mode. I can't touch anything on the dash that will stop it or identify it and as a driver I think its coming from front dash left and the passenger thinks it coming from the front dash right. So the conclusion is in the middle.

It seems like under the centre dash Canton speaker cover but isn't the speaker cover itself.

Craig

Just make sure it's not the sunglasses thing above your head.

My Mrs and i had a bit of a back and forth about a rattle we both thought was from the dash (left and right end depending on where we were sat).

Stopped as soon as i opened the sunglasses holder above our heads. :swear: 

Might not be the same as for you but it surprised the heck out of me.

• Like 1

I had a parking ticket holder rattle which sounded like coming from behind the speedometer. It took me 2-3 months to find the source.

Edited by aki78

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure it's not the sunglasses thing above your head.

My Mrs and i had a bit of a back and forth about a rattle we both thought was from the dash (left and right end depending on where we were sat).

Stopped as soon as i opened the sunglasses holder above our heads. :swear:

Might not be the same as for you but it surprised the heck out of me.

Yeah,i had a bad rattle just after i buyed my car and it nearly made me insane. i was 100% sure it came from the dash and tryed for hours to figure out what it was but had to give up. after a day or two i needed my sunglasses when driving and as soon as i opened the Box in the roof the rattle was gone.....

in all my cars i have had rattles and the rattle is never where i think it is.. :no:

Edited by bytterga

Craig

My octavia didthe same it turned out to be the dash rubbing on the windscreen, so I Jamed some paper in and it went away. I think the cold does not help. Edited by Alpha2110
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Solved! I booked it into the dealer who said there were two known vibrations in the center top dash. The most common is where the Internal Engine Sound Amplifier causes a vibration that can be dampened through the center front speaker, and the second is underneath/behind the windscreen wipers that need to be dismantled and dampened under there.

Remember, I'm talking about a significant vibration in the center front dash every time you reach around 2,000 rpms that is worse when the Internal Engine Sound Amplifier is on.

Had the noise every day for two months and now two weeks post dealer: gone!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Solved! I booked it into the dealer who said there were two known vibrations in the center top dash. The most common is where the Internal Engine Sound Amplifier causes a vibration that can be dampened through the center front speaker, and the second is underneath/behind the windscreen wipers that need to be dismantled and dampened under there.

Remember, I'm talking about a significant vibration in the center front dash every time you reach around 2,000 rpms that is worse when the Internal Engine Sound Amplifier is on.

Slight change of topic I know but does anyone know how to reduce or turn off the 'internal engine sound amplifier'?

Hello,

Took delivery of a new (last of the 2015 MY) Octavia Elegance last week. Love it, but a truly horrendous dashboard rattle has developed. It's not something that can be masked with the radio. It seems to come from somewhere within the centre of the dash, perhaps toward the windscreen.

I've read about other rattles but nothing like this. Any similar experience out there?

Mine has the same noise, where do you start, take it in and they could makeep it worce, I suspect mine is coming from the plastic cap in the middle of the dash.

• 3 years later...
On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 09:53, Crack1 said:

Did they have to remove the upper dash to get to the centre speaker?

Our rattle has the same criteria as yours... car only done 20,000K's been rattling for the last 6,000k's... dealer has tried several times to track it, but no luck.

I have checked for the fuel line rattle, don't have it. Inserted foam packers and small sprays of canned foam also - preventative.

Have insulated and isolated both A-Pillars.

Have deadened both front doors with a full tear-down and reassemble with sound deadening kit and sealant.

Same with sunglasses holder and rear vision assemblies.

Deadened Scuttle panels and window wash spray lines/pipes under scuttle panels.

Had the Sound generator replaced under warranty as it had it's own separate internal rattle (a loose screw inside).

Foam strip isolated/dampened the new sound generator.

Rattle exists with Sound Gen off, but worse when on. Sometimes slightly worse in colder weather, sometimes worse on a warmer day... it's a real F'er. Def sounds like centre dash area near, centre speaker, Firewall, windscreen zone.

Got a '91 Toyota Levin GTZ that has less prominent rattles... 

rattle.m4a