VRS wheel paint code (Neptunes)

Hi All

Hopefully giving something back here.

I damaged one of my front alloys some weeks back - I really don'y know how I did it as I'm extremely careful near curbs and the tyre is unmarked - go figure! The damage was limited to removal of paint in 2 places on opposite sides of the wheel but I couldn't find a paint to match it exactly (I'm very fussy) and my local car paint shop couldn't guarantee their mix would match unless I provided a paint code.

Finding the paint code seems to be something of a problem from what I read on the net so I popped into the Skoda main dealer. The helpful chap in the parts section told me that whilst you cannot get the paint direct from Skoda (!) there was a code. In case it is of any use to anyone, here it is:

Skoda VRS 2010 (FL) Neptune 18" alloys - "7ZS chrome coloured metallic"

WARNING - I've decided to get my wheels powder-coated black chrome so I haven't ordered or tried the paint so don't shout at me if it doesn't work!

Now all I need to do is work out where that howling is coming from at 80mph (sorry 70 mph ;-) ) when there's a cross-wind.... Oh, and raise the money for the wheel refurb!

Phil

• Like 1

If Skoda dealers can't get it right, how can the rest of us match the paint! I remember buying a fully refurbished wheel on ebay to act as a spare from a reputable refurbishment company. The company described the wheel as "perfectly matching" the original colour. Lucky for me, I decided to pick it up. Got there and their silver alloy certainly did not match my original alloys. Had to refuse to pay for it and walked away. I must say though, their wheel was as good as new and I did like the extra bright silver sparkle they had sprayed it in. Would like that colour on all 4 of my own wheels. I have only got one small chip on one of my wheels and I touched that up with Hammerite  smooth silver. It seems to match fairly well.

silver1011, do you know if the colour you were told exactly matches the original Neptune wheels?

• Like 1

I can't say for sure on the Neptunes, only on the Zeniths.

The Skoda dealer (DM Keith in Leeds) which has it's own body shop and paint booth on site told me that all Skoda alloys use the same silver, but I've since learnt to take anything a dealer tells me with a pinch of salt.

Thanks silver1011. So the refurbish company got it wrong, dealers don't seem to know for sure and we don't know either. I wonder how we are going to find out for certain. Might give my Skoda dealer a ring, see what they say! 

• 2 months later...

Quick update, got my wheels done in black chrome.... :happy:

These look amazing! Seriously considering getting mine done in this colour now - can get all 4 done for £200 (is that about right?)

Question is, did you use a filter on the photos?  :p

£200 is really cheap if it includes tyres off, powder-coat and spray then balance/new valves.

No filters just some fill-flash and sharpened in Photoshop (actually overdone a bit but it serves it's purpose).