Bolero - organising the SD

Well, I got rid of my 04 3-series touring and upgraded to a 2011 vRS CR TDI; I love it.

I recently bought a 32GB SD card (90MB read speed) and I want to fill it with music. Reading around on old threads, there was software to organise the SD card and create playlists but I can't find an active link, any clues?

Other than that, FAT32 and folders, is that all?

I just copied the music folders I have on my computer directly to the SD card. In the Bolero you can choose which folder to open and then play the music as though the folder is a CD.

I just copied the music folders I have on my computer directly to the SD card. In the Bolero you can choose which folder to open and then play the music as though the folder is a CD.

Thanks, I'd sussed that on my 1GB test, but how do you do random on the whole lot? or random on for instance, my folders rather than my wifes folders? I'm thinking with a playlist builder you can just stick my stuff in one mega-list and hers in the other (called "not while I'm driving").

I was hoping to find the software mentioned in here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/150105-bolero-sd-card-why-so-slow/

Thanks, I'd sussed that on my 1GB test, but how do you do random on the whole lot? or random on for instance, my folders rather than my wifes folders? I'm thinking with a playlist builder you can just stick my stuff in one mega-list and hers in the other (called "not while I'm driving").

I was hoping to find the software mentioned in here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/150105-bolero-sd-card-why-so-slow/

There may be a difference in the way different software versions / year of manufacture react, but mine does do random tracks from across all folders, just as you wanted. I just press MIX and it chooses random tracks. Furthermore there is no delay between tracks, unlike in your link to an older post.

The only thing I guess it won't do is to allow separate independent files for you and your wife since it chooses random files from all folders.

Have you tried putting a partition on the SD card? If the Bolero can see that as two different SD cards the that would work for his and her music. I have not tried it so let us know if it works.

It seems to stay in-folder. Even if:

\\vRS\artist\filename.mp3

if I select the vRS folder and press the play icon next to it, it seems to select a folder then mix within that? Am I doing that wrong?

I guess I could go

\\vRS\his\artist\filename.mp3

\\vrs/hers\artist\filename.mp3

as a fix.

As yours seems to stay in folder when using MIX then your proposed solution of his and her folders is the right way to go.

I wonder what version firmware is in your radio as the functioning seems different to mine? You can check what you have by following the procedure in post #18 onwards in the following thread to get into the Service page:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/399940-sd-card-reader-in-the-bolero/

You can see my firmware details in post #19.

Incidentally, I just noticed on page 9 of the Bolero manual it says that playlists are not supported.

Paul, you need to place one song in the root on its own, start the mix from that and go from there. 

I need to sort mine as a lot of the new songs I added without using the Bolero software that was posted on here aren't in track order, but a-z. 

I'm currently developing my own software to organise my music for use in the Bolero, mine is running an old version of the firmware so needs the music in a folder structure nine levels deep and playlists at the top.

It's currently still in early stages of development, but I'm hoping to have something soon, if I get time I might be able to release an early alpha at the weekend. That's if anyone is interested?

Yes that does sound about right. Let's just say, it seems that Skoda skimped a bit on the earlier model cars and the radio system unless you bought one with the Columbas.

However I understand that they have re-worked the firmware and the new versions of the bolero are “okay”. My problem is I can’t warrant spending the money on upgrading the firmware when I have other modifications to spend money on and my app is making my life a little bit easier. Still not ideal though.

Edited by Fraserj

That the best part of a Toyota isn't it? :D

Amusing; Mr Toyota drove my vRs on Wed night. Thurs he was booking his (Avensis) in for a power/torque increase (only available via box I think)!

Paul

Here is the thread with a working link for the download file

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/151637-speeding-up-bolero-sd-possible-solution/page-6#entry1968633

Thanks, I'll give that a go at some point over the weekend and see how I get on. My music folder is a bit of a mess so the depth of folder structure may cause it some issues.

• Like 1