SD card reader in the Bolero.

I've read all the help on getting music working on the sd card and have managed to follow and achieve the desired results except that it will take 20 or so insertions and the sd card being repeatedly cleaned or simply put in a pc to get it working again. I can listen to my tunes on the way to work and the card error comes up when it's time to come home. I can take the card indoors pop it in the PC go back to the car and it works straight away. As long as I don't turn the car off for long it normally continues to work, but a long period with it off will result in the error. This means I know the files are the right type and size as they do play, but why the constant errors? Oh and I do use a cleaner card for the slot in the Bolero from time to time to avoid muck being the problem. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Edited by bigladwigan

I've tried it all. I only use Kingston class 10 32gb cards and I've tried all the formatting and file structure tips. The bit that confuses me is that it will work fine and read the tracks really quickly and then just kick up the error next time I turn it on. I listened for 3 hours straight on Saturday morning and again on Saturday evening but on Sunday the same card just won't play.

How many files on the SD Card? Have you tried temporarily drastically reducing the number of files or even using a new (edit: different brand) SD card to eliminate card problem or compatibilty issue?  I use a 24gb or 32gb card without any of the error problems you refer to (edit: I'll check tonight can't remember if 24 or 32).

The small problems I have is operation related especially the mix function doesn't appear to fully work on all tracks though and always picks the same predictable "random" order and not from all the tracks available. I've orgainised in subfolders by artist name by the way. A-D, E-H and so on because there are a lot of tracks on there.... 

Edited by TheClient

I use a Kingston SDHC card of 8Gb but deliberately chose a Class 4 version.

I have found in the past that Class 10 devices give exactly the problem you describe on older card readers and I was not sure whether the Bolero was an older design.

Anyway, works fine even with my music in several folders. And 8Gb still provides the equivalent of several CDs.

Try a lower class of card.

• Like 1

I use a Kingston SDHC card of 8Gb but deliberately chose a Class 4 version.

I have found in the past that Class 10 devices give exactly the problem you describe on older card readers and I was not sure whether the Bolero was an older design.

Anyway, works fine even with my music in several folders. And 8Gb still provides the equivalent of several CDs.

Try a lower class of card.

Yes this. Also checked mine. It is actually a Kingston 16GB class 6 bought quite a few years ago and doesn't get any errors on resuming playback.

Thanks everyone I have one or two slower. Smaller cards so I'll try another. Re the firmware version I've no idea, is there a quick check I can do?

To check the fw version, you need to enter the service menu by pressing and holding setup button for 10 seconds (IIRC :) ).

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Holding setup for any length of time seems to be doing nothing. Is there any other way to get the firmware version?

In another thread on here someone posted having problem accessing service menu but not solution how to work around it.

Anyway if you find a way and your version will be 053, the best way would be update it to 054 but that requires trip to the dealer and spending some cash.

Lots have been posted about this, search button is your best friend.

To check the fw version, you need to enter the service menu by pressing and holding setup button for 10 seconds (IIRC :) ).

Just tried this on my 2012 car. The service info came up after pressing the SETUP button for only three seconds as shown below:

Part Number 1Z0035156M

SW INDEX  0012

Software Version  20130123A

Boot Loader Version  2.00

HMI XML     KW05/2011EU

The radio was repaired in 2013 so the software version may be from that time, as implied in the version number.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to post and offer tips and tricks. I have now sorted the problem. I took all the tracks I had on the 32gb kingston card and put them on a crappy 8gb 7day shop sd card and have never had a problem since. I'm sorry to have doubted that it could be a problem with the top quality card, but clearly it was.

• 6 years later...

A bit late for this thread, but I have had issues with my Bolero (Superb 2012) not reading all the files on a 32GB C4 card. Tried a 32GB C10 card, same problem. Now transferred all the tracks to a 16GB C6 card and all seems to be okay. I assume for some reason this model doesn't like larger cards.