First Impressions

andyspan

Don't forget the handbook says you can fit chain to the rear only!!!

Not according to my manual.

""All-wheel drive

Snow chains can be mounted on the wheels on the front and rear axles.

To increase the traction (start-up properties), the use of snow chains is also

technically permissible on the rear axle (this means on the front and rear axle

at the same time) for the following wheel / tyre combinations.""

Not according to my manual.

""All-wheel drive

Snow chains can be mounted on the wheels on the front and rear axles.

To increase the traction (start-up properties), the use of snow chains is also

technically permissible on the rear axle (this means on the front and rear axle

at the same time) for the following wheel / tyre combinations.""

So I noticed, but my manual simply said you could ......as if you would.

"Fitting snow chains to 2WD vehicles" is the instruction currently.

RWD?

"Our partners" includes Audi

Funny, we have lots of Australian Design Rules (ADRs) for some reason, safety I assume, but the fitting of snow chains is not a safety issue it seems.

http://links.hothamandfalls.mkt7008.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MjYxMTczMTYS1&r=MTM2ODAwNjE4NDkxS0&j=ODQ0NjM0OTYzS0&mt=2&rj=ODQ0NjM0OTYzS0&rt=0

Edited by Ryeman

Totally agree with you and I would change all the tyres.

But I suppose just having snow tyres on the front is no different to just fitting snow chains on the front wheels which I understand is acceptable?

The difference is snow chains are only used in snow rather than all the time and have a very very low speed limit.

Hi,

Not all drivers are alike; some can end up in a field with correct tyres fitted? Driving on snow or ice I keep the speed well down just in case of a slide but I'm an ex-biker; at 18 years old I was running a 1,000cc bike and reading road conditions correctly never dropped any of my bikes even in blizzard conditions; with snow tyres fitted to the front driving wheels of our Aygo it wasn't an hair raising event if the rear broke free a bit; a lot depends on the driver?

Kind regards, Col.

How the heck did my first impressions post end up talking about reading road conditions whilst astride a motorised bicycle? :think:  :giggle: 

How the heck did my first impressions post end up talking about reading road conditions whilst astride a motorised bicycle? :think:  :giggle:

It's an age thing........early onset dementia
  • Like 2

Come on, Andyspan - we've been here long enough to know that a Yeti forum OP is really only suggesting a general drift for a new thread.  This format seems to have been adopted way back near the start :giggle: .

• Like 2

Easy, tenuous links from 1.4 L&K with no spare wheel to spare wheel options to spare wheels with winter tyres to winter driving conditions to winter motorcycling - simples

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Got my new Yeti yesterday

SE spec petrol DSG in petrol blue.  (options : smartlink and spare wheel/raised boot floor)

Initial impressions very impressed, still finding my way around the controls (some things have moved since the 2014 Fabia (just gone) and 2012 Roomster (still have).  Bolero is so much easier to navigate than old radio.   Sound quality is streets above the Fabia where certain low notes made doors rumble.  Will probably miss the lack of a CD player as I have loads that aren't copied to digital.

Comfortable, once the rather strange upright back position of seats was changed

Engine is very quiet,  not yet sure about the start/stop system but I'm sure I will get used to it

DSG box is brilliant

The demisting this morning (5c) is much faster than our old cars

Not yet been on a long run, but seems very stable on A roads

• Like 1