Noise from boot driving me insane

If it's not been mentioned already, my money is on the tailgate stops needing adjustment.

Open the boot and you will see two black rubber stops at either end of the tailgate. Unscrew them half a turn and see if that has any positive effect.

So how does that work then? Unscrewed and the whole thing came out. Rubber just pops off too so how I am at a loss  :D

I don't mean unscrew them all the way out. Rotate them a fraction of a turn, then go for a test drive. Repeat until the knocking has ceased.

Unscrew them too much and they will either drop out, or you will have opening/closing issues with the tailgate. It's all trial and error.

All this is providing the noise is emanating from the tailgate, though!

I don't mean unscrew them all the way out. Rotate them a fraction of a turn, then go for a test drive. Repeat until the knocking has ceased.

Unscrew them too much and they will either drop out, or you will have opening/closing issues with the tailgate. It's all trial and error.

All this is providing the noise is emanating from the tailgate, though!

I am wondering if the design changed. The whole unit rotated slightly and then came out of the boot and I couldnt get the rubber bit to turn. Could not see how it would in all honesty. 

I should have taken a photo to show what I was looking at. 

Don't suppose you could post a pic of yours to see if they are the same please? 

I wouldn't, that's for sure! My OCD would say something very minor is wrong and I wouldn't rest until I'd sorted it LOL!

Mike

I just don't have so much time to sort it and trust the mechanics at my wife's place. And loud music works wonders  :devil:  out of site, out of mind. 

I would like to find the reason though. Either that or it is an excuse to get a new one, but I can't see me getting that past SWMBO

• Like 1

Well i still think that if you take mother inlaw outa the boot the noise will go away lol  :peek: :D

haha. Right now she is on an Island that requires the most expensive crossing per size of water so I am covered. 

However I could happily shove my father in law and his mum in there at the mo seeing as they are being a royal pain to my wife at present. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Fr0d for the starting point and Mike for the finishing. 

I finally got my star tool out to adjust the closure mech on the side of the boot, It is now close enough to perfect which will do for me. There was no more adjustment left and the drive in was miles better with only the odd noise. I guess the next step would be to look at the hinge for the boot, but having a quick look the other night, there was no play :(

So am I

In other news, was passing a skoda garage so had a nosey and asked them to give me a trade in valuation. 

I have a 2007 estate, elegance with Bolero head unit. It has done 109k miles and is in pretty good nick for its use. 

They offered £1500. I think not. 

That's a damned insult, especially knowing the condition of the car.

I've been very lucky that way - I called in at a local dealer with the TSI that I've had for nearly 3 months. I knew I had got it very reasonably, but the part ex value against a 13 plate diesel DSG Octy estate was actually £100 MORE than I paid for it! But then again, mine's not done 15k miles yet.

Mike

Mike, think it has just made me realise I should just keep it until it costs too much to run each year. Why get rid of a car that owes nothing and cheap to run just to get me to work and back?

• Like 1