TDI owners: what's your average range like?

Octy09

No idea what 'claimed figures' are or where you find them, there are EU testing figures for comparison that are published,

but then they are not vehicles being driven on roads.

Some cars and drivers can achieve these figures on a road, some cars are unlikely to even be able to reproduce them in a temperature controlled building on a rolling road if they had to.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

Claimed = the figures that Skoda publish. I'm well aware of how said figures are achieved and how manufacturers test this. But as I've said a few times, I've owned cars that have easily achieved the published figures. So i think some disappointment is justified.

Any more TDI drivers out there with ranges to compare? :)

Edited by Octy09

If you are up for a £40 experiment and your car is now at around 7-8,000 miles, 

maybe give it an Oil & filter change.  

The correct spec oil as it has in now from the factory, but just fresh and see if you notice an improvement in the economy.

Edited by Offski

If you are up for a £40 experiment and your car is now at around 7-8,000 miles,

maybe give it an Oil & filter change.

The correct spec oil as it has in now from the factory, but just fresh and see if you notice an improvement in the economy.

I'll do it after Christmas ;) I'll hit the 7,000/8,000 point in the new year. I've had a better week this week... Oddly, with cheaper (Sainsbury's) fuel. I'll see what I'm on when I fill up.

You certainly can, nice fresh denser cool air, also reduced friction on cold roads so maybe driving slower than usual.

if not also getting increased fuel consumption while the Coolant and Oil takes longer to get to efficient operating temperature, and you do not wait to de-ice the windows with the engine running, then lights, heated mirrors, heated rear screen and heater fan on.

Swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Offski

Does it really give less energy? A lower Cetane.

Are all HGV's, Light Goods Vehicles, Busses, & Private or Commercial passenger vehicles in the UK / Continental Europe now getting less MPG with diesel 

since it went out to filling stations in October or so & going to until March / April time?

Edited by Offski

Slightly, yes. My Uber driver the other night was wining about it- he's gone from 55 mpg to 45 mpg in his 1.6 TDI Octy III! The winter diesel roll out changes though doesn't it, depending on where you are? As the UK has a much more mild climate I wouldn't be surprised if there are less aditives, and it's put out for a shorter length of time, than (for example) in Finland.

Roll out starts in Scotland mid October until March.

Distribution to filling stations.

You can check the Winter Formulation for Winter Diesel to inhibit Waxing, & for Petrol to make it less hygroscopic, no need to quess.

Plenty diesel drivers on this forum that drive all year, and a pretty mild winter compared to usual in lots of the UK, so many should 

be able to say if they have as much an increase in fuel use as that Uber driver.

Many will never know what Centane or Octane is sold to them. they just get told what the minimum is.

http://platts.com/latest-news/oil/london/uk-still-buying-winter-gasoline-as-european-refiners-8114744

Edited by Offski

• 3 weeks later...

1.4TDi SEL 90PS DSG

My latest fuel consumption (from Fuelly) is 63.7mpg mixed town & motorway driving. Maxi Dot indicating 65.8

I'm happy with that, I've no idea what VAG claimed consumption is.

That's interesting. I've been averaging 56.7mpg since I originally posted, according to Road Trip. Quite disappointing. My previous car never dipped that low, even in the Winter. I'll keep monitoring it over the next few months and if it continues I'll mention it when I take it for its first service.

I used to get this sort of economy from my 1.0 Toyota Aygo!

Edited by Octy09