Bonnet Cable Snapped HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2000 v reg Felicia and the bonnet release cable has snapped. After much heaving and pulling the entire outer cable cover came away leaving just the steel inner. I have tried everything but nothing works. I cannot see any other way into the bonnet and am now considering wrecking the bonnet to get into the engine bay !!! My local dealer had a look for an hour and half and charged me

That dealer has some cheek charging an hour and a halfs labour for achieving nowt!

Anyway, I assume they put the car on a lift and tried to release the catch from under the car? Also, if you do have to resort to brutal methods it might be worth breaking the grille first to see if you can gain access to the catch through there.

I have just had a look at the bonnet catch on my 97 Felicia. The only way I could see to access it is to first remove the engine cover plate(s) under the front of the car. This should make enough space to reach up around the rear of the radiator and fan to try and locate where the cable attaches to bonnet release. The cable runs from the nearside of the car so the release would need pulling to the left. Ideally the car should be on a hoist or ramp.

I don't know whether this is feasible but I would give it a try in the absence of expert advice.

thanks for that guys....im trying to get the girlfriend to buy a 130 rapid coupe...a lot easier to work on and a future classic.....and i know how to get into the back of one of those without the bloody cable !!!

Any 130/136 coupes for sale?? P/X a Felicia

cheers neil

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just wondering if the OP is still around and managed to get the bonnet open because the exact same thing has happened to my car this morning. There doesn't look to be any obvious point from which to attack the catch, and I just wondered if anyone has actually managed to do this before I get the grinder out?

OK, for the benefit of any other poor sod that this happens to, here's what you do:

1) Prise out the chrome trim from round the grille.

2) Get a big screwdriver and use it to force the plastic trim above the radiator downwards. It looks like it might snap - mine didn't - but you probably won't care by now anyway.

3) Now you can see the bonnet catch assembly through the hole where the Skoda badge used to be. Look to either side of it (you'll need a good torch here) and you'll see the two Torx bolts that hold it to the bonnet.

4) You'll need a ratchet (a 1/4" drive so it fits through the grille) and an extension bar with the correct Torx bit and you can just, with care, get the bolts out. They'll probably fall into the bumper as mine did, and you probably won't care about that either.

5) Bend the radiator trim back into shape and stick the chrome thing back on if you like.

6) Tie a ratchet strap through the grille and one of the slots in the bumper. Job done.

7) Drive car until MOT expires then weigh it in.

8) Buy another car (not a Skoda Felicia).

I would just like to say thank you to everyone here who has helped me either directly or indirectly (via the search function) in the rather trying ownership of what has been one of the worst cars I have ever owned. I'm not saying that they're all crap, just that mine is. I can't wait to be rid of it.

I think i'd go WoodieGuthrie's way but i cannot believe it would take 4 hours to fit a new cable.:eek:

I would have too but the catch was jammed solid, which is how the end came to snap off the cable. I didn't bother to check the cable route as I won't be replacing it.

• 2 weeks later...

This just happened to me today! Is this a known problem with Felicias? My bonnett catch is as stiff as hell and won't budge with a screwdriver. Plus the second bolt that secures the catch to the bonnett had rounded off! I have no idea what i'm gonna do...any ideas?

Hi all, just looked at the catch on both my felicias & found a release catch, the same on both the s redg & w redg., IT is a suare plastic **** behind & rt of the hook catch & must go to left, looking from front of car. To locate it from under car, offside of fanshroud on top of radiator centre.probably easier if bottom splash gaurd removed. Alternatively remove badge reveals small rectangular plastic trim clip remove this reveals small hole, with long thin rod angle to right locate catch pull to left ,but plenty WD40 first. I cant see anything wrong with catch design but needs regular lubrication as it catches all the salt and wet weather. Pete

Hi bbb, the word **** is obviously considered to strong for this site and therefore automaticaly substituted by****, prehaps I should use the word handle or another word that cannot be confused with the male member .Pete

PS I recommend that all Felicia owners check and lubricate both parts of thier bonnet catches to avoid further occurances of this problem. The lever under the front panel above the radiator where the release cable attaches being most important to oil.

I recommend that all Felicia owners check and lubricate both parts of thier bonnet catches to avoid further occurances of this problem

Not just Felicias - one of the most useful bits of advice I was ever given is to lubricate that assembly the first time you pull up the bonnet on any second-hand car, and every year or two afterwards. There are enough problems in life waiting to bite you in the bum without adding stuff like bonnet catches!

Hi DS check that the catchplate under the metalwork above the rad., and attached to the cable is lubricated and moving freely also that the ****(lever) on the bonnet part is to the right of the bottom curve of the hook shaped secondry catch as the catch may be in the locked position already.the plate part of the rear catch should be angled about 30 degrees in appearance

• 2 weeks later...