Octavia Thermostat.

iCraig

Hi Guys,

I've determined my thermostat is constantly open and am just wonder where abouts the thermostat is under the bonnet and how easy is it to change?

And if possible can someone explain how to change it as I am not yet in possession of a workshop manual yet!

Cheers

Craig

Its replaced now and it literally takes about 2 minutes till heat come out! Gotta love it.

Only cost me £55 for it to be replaced (used a mobile mechanic).

Cheers

Craig

• 6 months later...

Thats a good advice and I'm sure Haynes manuals are worth the money but in Estonia it isn't that easy to get one. I could order one of course from ebay or elswhere but it would take weeks to get here.

By the way, this year I spent two weeks in London and Brighton and was looking for the Haynes one day. But I only found one for my brother, who has Peugeot 206. He needs it more often, sure;)

But back to topic - maybe someone could help me find the thermostat - even a cell phone photo would help. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again!

Ordered the Hayne's, got it and read it but still went to local Skoda dealer for diagnostics:)

They agreed, that it's the thermostat thats faulty. But said that my car has some kind of electric or electronic thermostat that costs four times more than usual thermostat (350 vs 1300 Estonian krones, thats about 17 vs 65 UK pounds).

Is it OK? Have You heared of a electric or electronic thermostat? Or should I go for second opinion to e. g. Audi or Seat dealer?

Hi!

As I read my Haynes, I think that 1,6-engines with engine-code AVU and BFQ have some kind of "contact" - maybe electrical?? I have never had to change my termostat, so I really dont know.

BUT I once had to change my engines temprature-sensor. It was a 5 min DIY-job.:) That sensor costed me approx £30.

Olit

• 4 years later...

Hi Craig i know this is very late but it may help someone like me in the future. i searched google for skoda thermostat replacement and this was the only briskoda thread that came up. on selection i realised no one had managed to answer your question hence i could not tell where or how to replace my thermostat.

Therefore, i was forced to go in blind.

The thermostat on an octavia 1.9tdi 2005 is located just the the rear right hand side of the alternator. it is uncharacteristically fed from the lower radiator hose up to the side of the engine block. the thermostat housing is held into the block by two 10mm bolts. At first glance it looks as if you will need to remove the alternator and other pipes etc. This is not the case.

The removal of the two bolts can be carried out using a half inch drive ratchet with an extention bar attached to a universal joint (nuckle) and a 10mm socket. once the bolts have been untightend to their fullest degree, i found they were easily removed and replaced using a telescopic magnet, you could use your fingers if you have piano hands, mine are like a bunch of bananas (huge).

Pull off the housing still attached to the lower hose and push to one side.

Remove the old thermostat and rubber seal.

Replace using a new thermostat and rubber seal, the replacement seal usually fits onto the thermostat.

Once in place the housing can be placed back into position and then the bolts put back into the holes.

Care should be taken when tightening the bolts, do not use the ratchet for the first few threads to ensure they are not cross threaded.

Then tighten hand tight and a bit, dont over do it or you will break the plastic housing.

One more tip, if replacing in the winter as usually the case, warm the engine slightly first not too much. but this will make things less brittle when tightening.

Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 years later...