Found a car but its showing as stolen?

renton

Hi all.

Ive been searching for an Octavia vrs diesel estate and have found one on ebay.

Its very well specced and seems well priced for the spec and age etc against other cars.

It is a private sale though.

Ive done a couple of HPI checks on the car and it is showing as stolen in 2013.
Speaking to the owner he says it was stolen and recovered the next day with no damage apart from locks which were replaced. It wasnt recorded as stolen recovered as the insurance didnt pay out anything?

Should I be wary of buying it? 

I had managed to negotiate on the price a little but this was before I had done the checks. seller is refusing to budge any more as he says its a bargain as it is?

What do you think ??

should it be worth less??

Can i post a link up to the car?

Cheers

Steve

My car was once reported stolen when it went missing (had been towed). This showed on a HPI check shortly afterwards but was cleared after a couple of weeks.

You would need to make sure this is cleared and that it isn't actually stolen.

Maybe speak to the police about it and get them to check for you.

Phil

Thanks for the replies.

Its this car......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231420811921?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I had negotiated it down to £9.5k before I did the check.

The chap has come back and has siad it will be updated and showing as stolen/ recorded on the database by monday.

Do you think its worth 9.5k?

He wont move anymore which is a shame as we like the car.

.......Ive done a couple of HPI checks on the car and it is showing as stolen in 2013.

Speaking to the owner he says it was stolen and recovered the next day with no damage apart from locks which were replaced. It wasnt recorded as stolen recovered as the insurance didnt pay out anything?

Should I be wary of buying it?

Bit of a contradicition there don't you think?  If the car wasn't recorded as stolen recovered then how come an HPI check has it showing as stolen in 2013???

Personally I'd walk away though if you really want the car, put in a cheeky bid of £9k to allow for the hassle /stigma of stolen recovered and be prepared to walk away. The chances are he'll end up stuck with it if he's asking too much for a car with a chequered past.