Skip to content

Colin170CR

FREEDOM
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Colin170CR

  1. I bought my 280 L&K from Hendy in Bournemouth in 2018. Like you it was a long way for me to go & view it (not as far away as you are though) but I wouldn't buy a car without seeing it in the flesh. I bit the bullet & did the 350 mile round trip to view it & apart from scuffed alloys (which Hendy refurbished within the price) all was OK so I put down a deposit. Unfortunately I missed a few scratches on the roof otherwise I would have got them to fix them as well. On my list to sort at some point. Like others said discounts on these models are virtually non-existent as they are highly sought after. However, I managed to get a reasonable trade in value on my old 10 plate 175k mile S2 Superb 170Tdi Elegance estate as part of the deal & a set of new mats - why are the mats always missing from used cars? Probably a dealer ploy for negotiation instead of offering discounts on the car!! They offered some free services but these were not much good to me unless they were transferable to a more local Skoda dealer - they were not so not an option. Check the 2 x Umbrellas are in the front doors - mine were missing so I got Hendy to throw them in as well. To pick the car up the wife & I drove back down to Bournemouth for a 2nd time only this time we made a weekend of it & stayed overnight in a local hotel - this was way before Covid so I appreciate this is probably not that easy to do right now. Hendy don't have any branches north of Hampshire so it's unlikely they could deliver to you but it may be worth an ask to save you a trip. The price of that one you are looking at looks a bit high but it does have the Pan Roof which mine did not.
  2. Did you re-code the car ECU after changing the battery? If not then this is probably your problem. Replacing a battery on the S3 Superb is no longer a DIY job - you need VCDS or similar to re-code the car. My battery was replaced last week at Kwik Fit as I don't have the coding interface. 1st car ever that I was unable to replace a battery on.
  3. I don't know. I paste pics into the post or use the "choose files" link to my PC from the link below. It's also possible you may not yet be allowed to post pictures due to you being a new member - only 12 posts? Mods - can you advise?
  4. When I first got my car I had a the same problem. It worked fine for a while then a message on the dash & no blind spot indication. Then after re-setting in the infotainment menu it came back to life. This happened a few times before it settled down it's behaved itself since - touch wood.
  5. As you have experienced S3 Superbs are great all round cars. S2's were pretty good too. I've had both & the the S3 is a country mile better quality. I prefer the look & practicality of the estates & the 280 4 x 4 with a stage 1 engine re-map is a very quick sleeper. Barring an insurance write off I will be keeping mine for quite a while. Talking of tyres, keep an eye on the wear on the inside of the rears. Last year & had to get a 4 wheel alignment done after the inside of my rear tyres went down to the canvas & I had a slow puncture as a result. The tread depth on the outside of the tyres was fine but the inside was zero indicating the rear camber was out of whack. Apparently it's quite a common problem on many VAG models that share this chassis. Other than that it's been fine.
  6. In the absence of a small Skoda EV (the Enyaq is too big & no Fabia EV in the pipeline) I have been looking at Corsa-e, E-208, Zoe & others. That new Mokka got a rave review from Fully charged & I do like the look of it. However, once again it is too expensive in EV form. I would have to wait for a used / nearly new 1.2 130bhp auto to become available for less than £20k. I have a real problem buying cars that cost more than my first house!! Even better, I could have a larger ICE Kamiq or better still a Cupra Formentor 1.5 - when used models become available. Plenty of Kamiq's available but they are a tad too large as is the Formentor but it does look good. My wait goes on.
  7. Many old Saab owners now drive Skoda Superbs & Octavia's. I've never had a Saab. Not because I don't like them but they've just never come onto my radar. As for the Superb, I'm now on my 2nd estate. 1st one was a S2 170 diesel estate auto & bought to keep run costs down (easy 68mpg) when I was doing high business mileage. Now I'm not doing high mileage I have a S3 280 L&K which is a great car - space, pace & luxury all in one package. The ultimate sleeper IMO. The 4 x 4 system on the 280 / 272 is needed to handle power without which the front tyres would be shredded in no time. Even my old 170 diesel could spin front tyres quite easily. My current 280 has had a Stg 1 re-map so is now packing circa 360hp which is more than enough extra ooomph for me. If you want a machine to get you up to speed on a motorway slip road in a hurry this is the one to have.
  8. Due to Covid, lockdown & work from home directive most people's average private vehicle mileage is definitely much lower than normal. My wife has only filled up her car with fuel once since March 2020!! Today I had to wait for tyres to be sourced from elsewhere for my wife's Fiat 500. The 500 has not got any special size tyres but none of the local tyre fitting centres seemed to have any suitable size tyres in stock which was a problem cos it has an MOT booked for Friday. Normally I would buy a mid range price tyre but nothing doing, nobody had any stock. In the end the only tyres I could get today were Pirelli's & the tyre fitter had to drive 50 miles to get them! Because I was buying 4 tyres, & I wouldn't normally have had Pirelli's, I managed to get a discount. They also threw in free tyre puncture / replacement insurance for 12 months, free wheel alignment on the 500 & 8 free alignment checks (over 2 years) for my car as well. All in the cost for 4 tyres including fitting was £380. It was fairly obvious that they didn't want to loose my business by not having the tyres I wanted so sweetened the deal to stop me going elsewhere. Whether the tyre availability issue was due to covid or not I don't know but reduced mileage is affecting tyre sales, fuel sales & many other automotive related businesses. Even insurance companies are offering cashback on their car premiums if you don't do your normal amount of annual mileage.
  9. Tut Tut. Must admit the most I've done is in the last few months is an 8 mile round trip to the nearest Tesco to click / collect groceries every other Friday. Hardly the stuff of dreams. I think I've filled up twice since March 2020!
  10. So how does the traffic get through the high street? Surely not a diversion around the back of the square which would never take the size of the lorries that come through there. Rush hour through Olney is not good at the best of times so right now must a complete nightmare.
  11. Ouch. Even though inconvenient I guess the car work is under warranty so no financial hit? Not so lucky with the house / puncture unless you're claiming under insurance. Snap with the puncture. I was changing wheels & replacing a tyre on my wife's car after she picked up a nail on Sunday. First time she has driven the car in over 3 months!
  12. Think I prefer those wheels. Was the plate expensive? Olney Square is looking strangely quiet. Normally rammed most days I've been.
  13. I quite like the black wheels. Mines Black Magic which gives me an idea of perhaps re-finishing my stock Phoenix alloys in black at some point to match the black paint.
  14. Just like a Top Gear James May thingy
  15. It's true. The 280 is back. Below is from the UK site configurator. Only snag is that the L&K isn't what it used to be. I specced the current L&K to match mine & your looking at a £43k car now.
  16. 43,000 miles since Dec 2016 & 2 x MOT tests & my DCC is fine (touch wood). Not sure what the expected lifespan of any shock is but it will depend on age & usage. Like the previous poster I have never replaced a shock an any car that has failed before. The only replacements I have ever done previously were for better control of the suspension. Traffic calming speed bumps will reduce the life of all the suspension parts so I take these at very low speeds. My DCC is set to sport mode most of the time. I only change it to Normal or Comfort settings if the wife is in the car or if I have other passengers. If my shocks did fail I would consider replacing them with the new OEM compatible Bilstein made adjustable shocks or similar.
  17. That sounds like a bit of a mare...I think I'll be looking at engine specific Racingline, Revo & others induction kits to avoid the agro you had.
  18. Which make of Turbo inlet pipe & elbow did you go for & where from? I'm considering this myself at some point. You may need some mud flaps for those spaced out wheels to help protect the body from road grime. Looks like 15mm is about the max spacer width the wheel arch can accommodate.
  19. Diamond cut alloys have tiny concentric lathe tool marks on the face of the wheel. I've seen a few YT videos of guys re-finishing diamond cut alloys where they basically polish out the curb marks & the diamond cut marks & turn the wheel into a smooth finish instead of a diamond cut finish which is what I guess you are doing.
  20. Humm. Let's see some more pics when you've finished.
  21. Aren't those L&K wheels diamond cut? How are your re-finishing them? I've got 4 that need doing as well but will need to have done at a specialist @£83 each corner! I see your wheel emblems are still looking OK. I'm on my 2nd set & have switched to plain black (no emblem) ones which hopefully won't corrode as the previous sets did.
  22. New battery today. After 3 failures to start over the last 9 months & countless re-charge & trickle charge sessions I finally caved & got a new battery. Of course this is no longer a DIY job on a modern car because the car has to be re-coded after fitting the new battery & I do not have any suitable diagnostic tools - why would I? So annoying that even the simplest of jobs on most cars are now beyond the competent DIYER. After searching around I finally decided to go with Kwik Fit who charged £184 fitted & coded & they had a branch less than 1.5 miles from me & did it while I waited. All good. The guy who fitted my battery had to take the car for a run to clear all the residual faults on mine. When he returned he asked what the hell I had done to the car because it was "so $£$%^&% quick". He he. I just love it when the whole sleeper image of this car surprises someone. Made me smile all the way home.
  23. Beginning to think I'm better off with regular rear bulbs - albeit converted to LED fittings.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.