Everything posted by Gerrycan
-
Octavia to MG HS PHEV, MG to Skoda Elroq EV?
Have you managed to get any test drives of your choices? What did you think of each?
-
Running discussion - experiences, tips, equipment, motivation, etc
Annnnd then I get a bronchial infection that took me out of running action during the four weeks break I had from work.🤧 Resumed running yesterday and back to 6 minute kms but no ambition to improve for the moment with a small medical procedure due.
-
VAG DPF cleaned and reset
Might be the dpf sensor was stuffed up by the cleaning process or not reattached properly?
-
Speedo Reading 10% low - fixed with VCDS
Since I have had access to a gps I have confirmed that nearly all my cars odometers are accurate (depending on tyre wear) within a couple of percent. The exception was a Hyundai Santa Fe mk1 V6 which turned out to be about 8% optimistic. The speedometers on a previous mk2 and current mk3 Octavia were/are about 7% optimistic. The Santa Fe was 10% optimistic. I don't really care about speedo accuracy once I know the variance as I can allow for it. An optimistic speedo is useful if lending the car to my son :) Fuel economy display figures are based on fuel used and distance travelled and do not use the display speed. So I always do a quick calculation when I refuel with actual distance and refuel amount. My 2014 Octavia mk3 1.4tsi fuel display was slightly pessimistic when new but over its life and 117k km the display has progressed through very accurate to increasingly optimistic, so I now have to take off 0.3l/100 off the display to a more accurate figure. A simple test is to set the cruise control (which is related to the speedo display) for a set figure (say 60kph) and then reset the average speed display for journey while in motion, after a few hundred uninterrupted metres the average speed calculated by distance travelled is shown and can be compared against the speedo. I would have hoped that VCDS would have allowed adjusting the displays for speed, distance and consumption separately, but according to the OP this might not be the case?
-
1.0 mpi 6 speed transmission conversion
I've never owned or even driven a VW 1.0mpi but I have great respect for it from some of the consumption claims in the Briskoda Citigo section. The power figure of 75ps at 6200 rpm is respectable although not unremarkable as is the torque figure of 95Nm but the kicker is that maximum torque is achieved at a comparatively low 3000 rpm and I think that is almost unique for its size and type. Not many engines, regardless of size, could match that and small capacity engines usually produce their max torque at 4000+ rpm, like my 22yo 1.3L Toyota requires 4400 rpm. Having extoled its virtues, it is still only a normally aspirated 1 litre engine and you can't expect too much of it. I can't find much on the web about performance of the 1.0mpi but there were figures that said acceleration from 80 to 120 kph was 31 seconds in 5th gear and 20 seconds in 4th gear. To me that suggests the manufacturer's gearing is (not surprisingly) about optimal and that a longer top gear is likely to worsen performance and consumption. I have driven a more powerful 1.0tsi Fabia manual and was extremely impressed by consumption and ability to cruise economically at highway speeds, with a load, at sub 3k rpm. That would be my choice if looking for a better balance than you currently have. Like others, I see little point in all the work and expense involved for an extra gear and a potentially less satisfying car.
-
Brighter and Better Headlight Bulbs?
I was not aware of this option until earlier this week when a young lady at work, who currently wears glasses and is only in her early twenties, told me she is having cataract operations on both her eyes over the next month. She too says she will have individual eyes set for different focal lengths and the brain will work it out. I don't think she drives but might suggest that glasses for better depth perception might be a good idea if she does take up driving a car.
-
If you loved your Mk3 Octavia Estate....
Our 2014 1.4tsi Octavia wagon has only done 117K km but with a lot of very short slow local journeys. Although it still drives very nicely, I feel that fuel consumption is slightly down from when it was brand new. All I really want to do on mine is to get a camera inspection of the inlet valves to see if carbon buildup is to blame and whether some remedial action is required. Do still love the car though and it is now irreplaceable as Skoda no longer sell a manual in Australia.
-
A PHEV temptation on the Australian market
Every now and then the Australian new car market delivers a limited window on an apparent bargain that demands close consideration, even if the car is not what I would have ever normally considered Over the years the ones that stood out for me were: The first iteration of the Toyota GR86 at a then AU$30,000 (just half it for rough GB pounds so £15,000) The introduction of the Toyota Yaris GR86 locally was a 1000 cars at $40,000 (£20000) drive away (which includes road tax and insurance for a year) was supposed to last 6 months to sell out and it actually only took 2 days. Even the Fabia 2 once had a drive away deal at only $17000, which I still kick myself for not taking up. MG4 was on sale for $30,000 drive away just over a year ago. They have since admitted they were losing over $10k a car on that deal. Then there are some Stellantis vehicles Jeeps, Fiats etc that have lost a huge amount of market share and they take something like $20+k off the initial offer to offload stock, but expressions involving bargepoles spring to mind. The latest one that has caught my attention is the Cupra Formentor VZe which is being offered at $27k off list price with a $43000 drive away deal to offload a large backlog of stock imported too late for a, since closed, tax window. This is the one with the 10kwh battery and 1.4tsi engine and is soon to be replaced with a model with double the battery and the 1.5tsi engine hence the urgency. As a (still casual working) pensioner this is still a fair financial commitment, even if it is a bargain, and for something that is not necessarily as ideal as our current mk3 Octavia which constantly delights with its ability to swallow enormous loads. Recently have picked new chairs and garage racking where the warehouseman has expressed disbelief that the goods fitted inside the Octavia It appalls me that a relatively small battery and electric engine can add nearly 400kg to the vehicle weight (over our car), that is has no spare tyre (a big deal for me on long Australian trips), that the vehicle economy is apparently worse than our car when in hybrid mode (judging by reports on Briskoda for similarly configured mk iv Octavia hybrids). The savings from locally running on electric would not be as great as say the UK where your off-peak rates seem incredibly low compared to ours and our fuel is cheap compared to GB prices. Might have to do some spreadsheet work on this one and it deserves a test drive at the very least.
-
Bridgestone World Solar Challenge 2025
A couple of weeks ago the 2025 edition of the 3000km race from Darwin to Adelaide concluded in Adelaide and I went up to view the vehicles on public display. There were two classes: The "F1" equivalent "Challenger" class winner finished in just under 35 racing hours at an average speed of 86.6kph The other is the "Cruiser" class, which aspire to carry one or more passengers other than the driver, and the winner finished in 44 racing hours at an average of 68.7kph. The race has been conducted for a number of years but the first time it was conducted in winter (winter below the tropic of cancer anyway). Less sun for power but also less heat stress on the drivers in their pods. Externally there are a lot of visual similarities in the Challenger class to achieve low aerodynamic drag, the allowed 6 square metres of solar panels. The driver is either centrally mounted or offset to one side. Internally there is much more variation depending on whether they could afford a carbon-fibre monocoque or went for a more conservative and cheaper skinned tubular steel frame. The suspension engineering was pretty impressive because maximum speeds could be as high as the 130kph limits in the Northern Territory and also had to survive traversing cattle grids at speed. Aero is so important because they not only need low drag but must have stability to survive crosswinds and gusts from oncoming road-trains. It is all cutting-edge stuff and talking to a couple of the support teams they had their work cut out getting sleep in tents (in the outback), maintaining the cars and then driving all day between obligatory control points. Lots of videos online and a good place to start is: Bridgestone World Solar Challenge 2025
-
Running discussion - experiences, tips, equipment, motivation, etc
Yesterday's 7km run with 5':30" /km averages, which means I managed to knock off at least 4 seconds per kilometre from recent bests. Didn't think I'd really be able to get back to where I was a year ago so pretty rapt with this. Calves are hurting now which suggests it was achieved with a bit more rebound and less plodding.
-
2.0l tdi superb vs 1.4l tsi hybrid superb on high mileage
The DPF on the diesel could be nearing the end of its life. Frequent posts here for high mileage diesels with poor running and high consumption issues when this happens. It is possible to get a report on the ash content in a DPF. Finding a reasonable car on a lowish budget is a real issue these days.
-
Running discussion - experiences, tips, equipment, motivation, etc
Just achieved my sub hour 10km target, 10.1km in 58m 28sec. Did not set out to do it, but went out slowly trying to keep my heartrate down (another story), felt good, the weather was really nice, and I thought why not? Probably not as much preparation as I would have liked, so I did find the last 2km quite hard to push through. I won't aim for greater distances, but I will try to make it an occasional target with the hope of making the effort easier and/or a little faster.
-
Ethanol fuel e10 in 2.0 Octavia
Skoda must have better market penetration in your state than mine. No friend of mine has one although one guy I'm on 'nodding terms' with down the road has a Kodiaq. Do you belong to a Skoda club? While it is a temptation to generalise about using 91RON from your experiences you might like to consider there are situations where it might be poor advice. For many years European manufacturers restricted what they sent us due to our poor fuel quality which centred principally around sulphur content. When I first came to Aus near 40 years ago the exhaust literally stank like a New Zealand volcanic spring. Over time fuel standards improved dramatically so that diesel match Euro standards and petrol was substantially improved. Currently max sulphur content for Euro and US petrol standards are 10ppm and Australian are 150ppm for standard (91) and 50ppm for premium (95/98). The VW group identified that vehicles fitted with PPF (petrol particulate filter), now mandated in Europe, could have the unit severely compromised from even one fill of our 91 RON fuel (pure or E10). As far I can remember it was only the Superb 280 4x4 that was imported with the ppf but I really don't know the what the status is now as what cars may, or may not, have a ppf fitted. Most VW group cars of the last decade would have anti-knock sensors, so possible for lower spec engines like 1.0/1.4/1.8 tsi (with no ppf) could run on 91RON without obvious issues but I suspect it may require a few tanks of higher grad fuel before the ECU advanced timing for better performance/efficiency. As to whether it would be noticeable or not? I remember that some of VW group higher spec 2.0tsi equipped vehicles (RS, Type R?) imported to Australia have recommended 98RON with 95ROn as a fallback and definitely not 91. One of Mazda's turbo petrol engines is designed to accommodate 91RON to 98RON (91 RON equivalent is also available in the US), and their blurb said that the 98 RON produced 12kw more in that engine. At the other extreme my 2003 Toyota Echo's manual quite openly says the engine is designed for Australian 91 RON and while higher RON can be used it is pointless and a waste of money.
-
Ethanol fuel e10 in 2.0 Octavia
Like most things in Australia, there can be a little variation on available fuels and the rules governing E10 constituents depending on which state you live in. As far as I am aware, nationally, the E10 uses our base 91 RON fuel with 10% Ethanol added which takes it to 94 RON rating. The issue is not with the ethanol/petrol mix but the fact it is has a slightly lower RON rating (a marginal issue I suspect unless you regularly push the engine to the red line), but more so about the 91 RON fuel having a much higher sulphur allowance than 95+ RON fuels. Not going to be much of a problem with the one-off half-tank fill you did, but not something you would want to make a regular thing. In South Australia our E10 is not allowed to advertise the (nominal) 94RON rating because the pump has a very small sticker on it saying that the Ethanol content is "up to 10%", which means that the RON rating could actually end being anything between 91 and 94. What confuses me more is the 100RON fuel you claim to use: 1) As far as I am aware the highest-octane fuel generally available on Australian forecourts is Premium 98RON. Yes, you can get 100 RON PULP fuel (even 110 RON) but these are racing fuels that suppliers specifically recommend NOT using in standard road going cars as it ruins the catalytic converter. 2) Even more worrying is that you may be using E85 fuels (rated at 105RON), fairly rare on petrol forecourts but can only be used on a very small range of engines and definitely NOT in a Skoda 2.0tsi engine, or any VW engine sold in Australia (unless you imported a model from Brazil). A few years ago, the Australian National Government sort of committed to raising fuel standards to match Europe but has got bogged down with all sorts of lobby groups and it has gone pretty quiet on that front despite their more recent commitment to the NVES scheme to reduce vehicle emissions. Coincidentally, for the first time in over 50 years of motoring, today I started accidentally putting 91 RON in my 1.4tsi Octavia (I use 91 in my other car) but realised after 3.5 litres and went and paid before putting in a further 30 litres of 95 RON.
-
both cars same engine
Post should really be in "General Automotive Chat" section but: New or second-hand, and what model level are you looking at? What features are important to you: ride comfort, handling, entertainment features, panoramic roof, electric seats, lumbar support adjustment (in passenger seat), cloth or leather, air-con or climate control, headlight performance, mostly local driving, or long distance, rear space for family commitments/children/teenagers/elderly parents etc etc.????? What price variation/deals, warranties, servicing packages are available? Location of nearest local reputable dealer for servicing should not be overlooked either. Have you test driven both to make up your own mind? Got comparative quotes from dealers to compare features on similar priced models. If not, then why not as most of the things that could swing your decision either way will be very subjective?
-
Alarming news : no alarm in Octavia 20-21 ?
The request is a bit like saying you have a ball of string and asking here how long it is. A lot more information is required from you as to what you are driving. Your profile says you are Australia and your car is 2021 Octavia so with the delay getting new models here in Aus it is questionable whether it is even a mk4.
-
Running discussion - experiences, tips, equipment, motivation, etc
A mixed bag over the six weeks or so: A couple of days after the above 8km run I came down with a cold, not a bad one, but sufficient to deter me from running for a bit. Resumed with a light load of short, slow distances and built up to 7km again and then I was delighted to have, a good (for me), 7km at 5:34 averages. Then immediately came down with another cold, this time a proper cold, the worst kind, A REAL MAN COLD! First time off work since covid. So, I question whether the effort put into the relatively fast runs lowered my resistance to infection? OR, whether I already had been infected and my immune system had already stepped up resulting in improved times?? Or it was all just a coincidence? Eventually resumed running again with really slow (not for want of trying) 4km run on the weekend, then had a fun pneumonia vaccination on Monday (they are free at my age so why not), eventually felt good enough today to run another 4km today with surprisingly fast 5:32 averages. Maybe that immune system thing again? I'd like to string together a couple of uninterrupted months of progressive training to get to my 10km target but might have to try before my prostate biopsy in September, which will likely cause another two-week training interruption.
-
All about the Virtual Cockpit
I am sure you are well aware that odometer tampering with intent to defraud is illegal. There was no context to the original post so I chose to assume the worst and you being a far nicer person did not. Blame my attitude on constant scam vigilance. The average second hand car purchaser does not have access to ecu values. Still say the post is in the wrong section and should be in the relevant car model.
- All about the Virtual Cockpit
- Audio quality/problem Skoda Octavia 3 (1.0) 2018
-
Running discussion - experiences, tips, equipment, motivation, etc
Our winter weather/work/social/laziness have contributed to a less consistent recent training phase. However, a social media post by my daughter-in-law (full-time work, with a two and half year old) showing her improved running times and fitness over the last year spurred me into venturing out for a twighlight run tonight. After my involuntary tapering I decided to extend my distance to 8km. Went out too fast for the first km so spent the next three recovering and then was able to settle into an even pace. Very happy with 5:36 km averages, which is the best I have been achieving recently for shorter runs. Calves hurt...a lot. Must walk out the lactic acid tomorrow, but my knees handled it comfortably despite the cool conditions.
-
Hello!
Hi @m0thm4n , and welcome to the forum. Our Octavia wagon manual 1.4tsi does everything we ask of it and is still a joy to drive after 11 years of ownership.
-
Running discussion - experiences, tips, equipment, motivation, etc
I'm quite pleased with how things are progressing since being able to string together a few runs in our now cooler weather. My distances covered and speed are slowly improving, but I am not putting too much pressure on myself so that I can enjoy the run more. I have had to correct a previous mentioned running posture problem (stooping and looking at the ground in front of me) and now a new issue with my breathing. Seems stupid, but I actually have had to concentrate quite hard on breathing by using less chest expansion and using more diaphragm breathing. I think both issues were what made my first 'comeback' run a few weeks ago so hard. No wonder I prefer running by myself, it is taking most of my brain power to keep putting one foot in front of the other, conversation is way beyond me. Not sure if it inspirational or just plain daunting when you read headlines like: Canadian ultrarunner Stephanie Case just won the 100-kilometre Ultra-Trail Snowdonia ultramarathon in Wales — six months postpartum, without an elite bib, and while stopping to breastfeed her baby at aid stations. She took 3 years off running to have her baby and just entered the event to test where she was before a more challenging event in July. Incredible!! Me, well I have decided my target this year will again be a 10km run on the flat, and hopefully in under an hour.
-
Running discussion - experiences, tips, equipment, motivation, etc
Getting older does not make anything easier and I have found myself putting off running due to current high daytime temps/working/health/any excuse really, and then dreading the likely deterioration and pain of resumption after an extended break. I've also been slack regarding my diet and increased my mealtime wine consumption, so I should not be surprised (but I was) that a couple of recent impromptu blood pressure tests have indicated it has risen above ideal levels. Not dangerous but not a trend I want to worsen. I was obviously too complacent that my regular casual and mostly physical taxing work, plus walking two dogs we are looking after twice a day, would be enough to maintain my fitness. So, I have resumed running, just 4 km to start with and by gosh is it slow and has it hurt! However, I can take some solace from the fact that when I started running, about 35 years ago, and did 2km for a short triathlon that I remember it hurt a lot more. It will be interesting to monitor my blood pressure if I manage to maintain about 3 runs a week.
-
MPG 1.0 vs 1,5 litre engines?
Theoretically both are very economical options but no ICE car really gets good economy unless it can get into the higher gears for most of a journey. If most of the journey is in 4th gear or below then a not so good 32-40mpg, 4th gear and above 40-60mpg The 1.5tsi has more performance potential from the larger capacity but can achieve remarkable economy if driven lightly due to the engine only running on 2 cylinders in low load conditions. It is the smoother of the two and probably the better option if you live in a hilly area. The 1.0tsi engine has only 3 cylinders and is reportedly slightly less smooth of the two. It has adequate performance for normal British roads/traffic/speeds. The .1.0 tsi DSG version does 0-60 in 9.7 seconds (officially) and presume the 1.5tsi is about 8 seconds? You don't say whether you are considering new or second hand? The 1.0tsi could be significantly cheaper to buy and insure, if that is a factor? Test drive both options if possible.