Everything posted by Luckypants
-
Enyaq preventing charging and resetting charge level
The exact point I made at the start of the thread (albeit related to ID cars). In this case AC refers to AC current (on-board charger) rather than air conditioning which is the normal use of "AC" with respect to cars. I hope this fixes things permanently for you both.
-
Any New EV,s in the UK / Ireland / EU for under £25,000 RRP,s in (2023/24.) 2025.
When comparing I spotted ID.7 is 400mm longer than ID.4 and 10mm wider. Not much in the width but length difference is considerable. Given the ID.4 is already 300mm longer than my previous Karoq, you can see why I'd run out of space. Enyaq is slightly longer than the ID.4. Maybe the upcoming Elroq will be similar dimensions to a Karoq and be a more compact alternative.
-
Any New EV,s in the UK / Ireland / EU for under £25,000 RRP,s in (2023/24.) 2025.
Same here, but ID.7 is too big. Its longer and wider than my ID.4 so will struggle to fit on the drive and be more awkward on the lanes around here. After my car was hit by the bin lorry while on my drive, I like my cars to be tucked well onto the drive. However, when I played with the numbers, an ID.4 of similar spec to the ID.7 tourer was similar money on the lease and cheaper than my PCP from 2021. An Octavia/Golf sort of EV estate is really what I want. I tried the Astra and it was a bit pants inside but maybe that's because my ID.4 is nice....
-
Any New EV,s in the UK / Ireland / EU for under £25,000 RRP,s in (2023/24.) 2025.
Not a bad price if ready to move on a new car. My sister paid a grand more for a 6 month old one last year, so she's not going to be best pleased. Leasing prices are coming down, probably due to volume discounts by the manufacturers. Lease prices are looking more attractive than PCP presently. I could get an ID.7 tourer for £90 less than I was paying for the ID.4 PCP in 2021.
-
EVs, Your choice £30k - £40k
The great thing about Bjorn's tests are they are consistent. Always the same GPS speed over known routes. makes for easy comparison between cars. 1000km challenge is at 130kph for all cars, so favours cars with good aerodynamics and efficient motors. This is probably why Tesla always do well but the new ID.7 saloon also did well in the test for the same reasons.
-
Car failing to charge via AC but will charge fine on DC.
Seen this?
-
New or improved hubs announced, Government EV Loans in Scotland and free & no longer free public charging places..
Had to google Cairnryan ferry - its always been Stranraer to me.....
-
Elroq and Epiq new electric models
I'm liking that look from this angle. Like you say hopefully will look like this. Less of a Tonka toy look than KIA EV3. I would like it to be smaller and more efficient than my ID.4 without losing the space advantages of bespoke EV chassis.
-
Enyaq preventing charging and resetting charge level
What software level were you upgraded from/to? This sounds very much like a similar problem VW ID. cars have after upgrade to ID software V3.2. As the software in both cars is identical apart from the UI wrapper I'd wager it's the same fault. I had exactly the issue you describe on my ID.4. The issue on VW ID. cars is that as part of the update process, the on board charger needs to be re-booted manually. Some dealers forget to do this and cause this charging issue. The problem is that if the car goes to sleep (standby mode) while waiting for the AC charge to start, when your wall box charger asks to charge the car's on-board charger does not wake up and respond - hence "the Zappi displays "EV is preventing charging" message, The solution for ID cars is a) return to dealer for them to sort or b) pull the appropriate fuse for the on board charger controller - wait 2 mins - re-plug fuse-listen to the clicks as the OBC reboots and check its cured. Option b fixed mine. Google the issue and you should find a similar solution for the Enyaq. I'm not going to link to the ID solution in case the fuses are different layout / numbering. HTH
-
The battery as the new frontier
Thats been a decent series and has shown that used EVs are no more a gamble than a used ICE car in terms of needing major repairs, to my mind anyway. whenever someone says to me 'what about the battery failing?' I always counter with what about a blown engine or goosed gearbox on your ICE? Even old and therefore degraded batteries still have a range useful for day to day use, especially seeing as most commutes are less than 10 miles.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
No argument here, EV works for some and not others. I believe the 'others' group will get smaller and smaller over time, while those worried about having EV foisted on them are rightly sceptics. This is why its important those of us with EVs tell the truth about running one, so people get facts not FUD.
-
the truth about electric cars
The wiring for the charger runs from a small consumer unit that also supplies electric to a garden room and any other loads I do not want to be protected in future. That consumer unit is wired to the unprotected side of the Giv-Gateway. Initially, when the car was charging it did not take from solar / house battery as the load was not detected. The installer came back and moved a CT clamp so the unprotected load was detected when operating. The CT clamp is within the Giv-Gateway, so I cannot tell you what was done.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
Telling it like it is, as do I. There's no point lying to folks about the realities of running an EV. My story is a good one (cheap, easy, no queues blah blah), his is not so good due to relying on public charging so much.
-
the truth about electric cars
Correct. Where a battery is installed that is capable of providing power to the house circuits (as opposed to a single dedicated EPS circuit wired direct to the battery inverter) during a power cut a special piece of hardware is used to isolate the house circuits from the grid. Both Givenergy and Tesla call these Gateways. A gateway sits between the meter and consumer unit in my layman's eyes. Where it is a simple solar and/or battery system that has no power cut facilities, the inverter cuts power to the wiring (and so to the grid) when it fails to detect a mains voltage / frequency.
-
the truth about electric cars
Power cuts are not that rare here, the village is at the end of a long piece of wire...... They can also last a while, so protecting the battery from the car draining it is a major concern. Properly managed 13.5kWh (full battery) will run the house for 2.5 days (longer if there is some solar) but that car would empty it in under two hours. I have it wired up such that in a power cut the charger is without power but when the grid is live, it can draw from the battery and / or solar if I want it to. The long power cuts are the reason V2H is of interest, if we get another Storm Arwen 4 day power cut being able to port power back to the house in the car battery would be amazing.
-
the truth about electric cars
I have similar with my GivEnergy All-in-One system (6.5kW max output though) and my ID.4 on V3.2 software. Of course, until a charger capable of bi-directional charging is available then V2H capability is moot. If it becomes available and I buy one, I will need some re-wiring as my charger is on the unprotected side of the Gateway so my charger does not drain the battery if a power cut occurs while charging the car.
-
Coding a new key
Did you buy from a dealer? Insist they provide you with a second key. Unfortunately I don't know if you can code a new key yourself but I suspect this is very unlikely to prevent criminal elements doing the same.
-
Enyaq iV Owners Register
And you are getting good efficiency with those by the looks of it. Congrats on the new car.
-
Enyaq iV Owners Register
@domhnall Very nice. Did you put the Cross Climates on or did the car come with them fitted? (I spotted a new Volvo EC40 with CCs from the factory the other week)
-
New or improved hubs announced, Government EV Loans in Scotland and free & no longer free public charging places..
They seem to have a problem getting correct data from SWARCO. Compare Electroverse with CPS / SWARCO / Westmoreland chargers and a lot are wrong. Common denominator is SWARCO back end....
-
Volvo EX 30 - Quicker, relatively cheap, proper EV styling without nod to ICE car looks
Glad you brought this up as I had a sit in one at the weekend. Really quite nice and down in size from the ID.4. I was doing a bit of research yesterday to see how it stacked up and these software problems did not appear in any search. I think not at the moment! PS ID.3 still looks good against newer rivals of similar size. Just the price is daft.
-
Skoda Electric Models
A slightly smaller Enyaq. Make an Octavia replacement and sell millions of em!
-
List of EV Tariff for 2.5p/mile motoring
I agree. There are multiple reasons why super cheap charging is not available to all. Lack of home / work charging is the major one. I'm fortunate that I do have home charging but my smart meter does not connect, so no super cheap charging (although 20p/kWh is cheap motoring) for me. This creates haves / have nots in terms of cheap leccy and disadvantages those struggling to pay bills more than those that are earning enough. My street has a stark reminder of this, the older houses are all heated by storage heaters and losing the BBC signal to switch the meters has lost them cheaper (not cheap!) leccy. The solution is 'fit a smart meter' but that doesn't cut it when you live in a not spot.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
This is how it looks to get really low consumption, no A/C or heat, good ambient temp, low traffic.... 400km at 130kph.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
I think 60mpg in a diesel is also a dream for many. It very much depends on the driving conditions, so I try to compare like with like. The most efficient diesel I've had was a SEAT Leon ST 1.6TDi DSG 2015 model, that averaged 56mpg over 43k miles. It's best average for a tank was 63mpg on a run down to the Pyrenees. It did more like 54 on our hilly roads here. The Karoq 2.0 TDi DSG did average 45.5mpg over the same roads and use cases. My point is that unless you have a small efficient diesel on 'economic' roads, 60mpg is hard to attain, just as 5 m/kWh is hard to attain for an EV driver. My man maths puts the price at which driving an EV is more expensive per mile for me is 50p/kWh