Skip to content

bigjohn

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by bigjohn

  1. If it's running ok now at 242 000km I'd leave it alone. That's a pretty good innings.
  2. As Xman has mentioned crankcase can get a bit of pressurisation if something is wrong with crankcase ventilation be it something blocked or a faulty PCV. With excessive crankcase pressurisation gases will try to escape somewhere, be it inlet/exhaust valve oil seals which can increase oil consumption and this may show up at the exhaust tailpipe [EDIT - the oil in the inlet manifold might be a clue?] . Re check everything re crankcase ventilation. Different engine but my old Octavia 1.416v suffered with a blocked oil pipe within the air filter housing as part of the breather setup that caused the oil level to be low after a few hundred miles, when I sorted it oil consumption went back to normal. Also how many miles has the engine done? Gases being blown out could also be a bit of piston blow by? When working with older cars in the past I've known crankcase pressurisation to push oil past all sorts of things be it oil valve seals , crank oil seals, gaskets (sump, rocker etc) and on an old Cortina the dipstick was ejected. Cylinder no 1 misfiring is strange - just in case is all well with the timing chain, no rattles etc?
  3. I think boot socket is now in the "Simply Clever" pack:- Simply clever pack - Scala Pack Contents: Storage boxes under front seats 12V socket in luggage compartment Door edge protectors
  4. Did they tell you what the compression reading where? This might be a case of up-selling. Wasted spark coil pack failure is pretty common - which I think the 1.2tsi has. My Octavia 1.416v which had a similar coil pack was on it's third and indeed it seemed to fail roughly about every 60,000 miles. PS Wasted spark means the coil pack whilst it has four leads attached only has two coils. Each coil drives two spark plugs - hence the name "wasted spark" as each time a spark is generated it fires one cylinder and is "wasted" on the other. A failure on a coil will affect two cylinders though. If it's driving well and has a smooth tickover - keep calm and carry on...
  5. Thought I'd share the headlight conversion for European driving of my facelift 2014 Skoda Superb II S as I seen a couple of them with Eurolites attached. I don't have the benefit of "Travel" or "Tourist" with the halogen headlights on my Superb and last year I struggled finding how to convert them last year for driving in Europe - spending a lot of time with the master technician at my local Skoda dealership - apparently they are very different from the pre facelift models I can now do it in a couple of minutes a side using an inspection camera and a small screwdriver. You need to remove the headlight bulb plastic cap, insert the inspection camera viewing the "wing side" rear of the reflector - follow up with a small but long screwdriver to move the lever (it clicks into position) Hope this helps someone, I'd even bought a pack to Eurolites ready! I've take photos of this years (today!) conversion:-

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.