Everything posted by DieselMonte
-
Horn needing ignition to work!
The brake lights dont work with the ignition off in the mk2 if mines anything to go off of. Horns arent meant to work with the ignition off so far as I can tell either. The horns on these are weak anyway. I have a set of twin cheapo aliexpress horns in my Mk1 cause the original horns were broken when I crashed. Lucky I'm stood next to the car so I recorded the horn sound of the cheap Aliexpress job in case you need to change them: https://youtube.com/shorts/NdWpogGoBJE
-
Mk1 fabis vrs brake upgrade
I think theres a fabia with porsche brakes in the project section? I want to say its Lofty's yello fabia that has them.
-
Mk1 fabis vrs brake upgrade
Would you consider doing 312mm brakes from a mk1 octavia vRS?. Apparently they're a straight swap with 288mm brakes (i.e vRS brakes) Would be cheaper than porsche brakes I suspect.
-
Rear anti roll bar - worthwhile?
All I did in my mk1 was practice oversteering through a corner. It didnt take much to get sideways on dirt and if I timed it right I could use nearly 0 countersteer and just straighten the car with the throttle. My first few times in the wet were just a blur of violent spin outs at 40-50 mph. Of course doing sort of stuff is what caused me to wreck it but still. It didnt even have a whiteline, and the front arb was useless as the bushes just let it flop side to side on a transition.
- Rear anti roll bar - worthwhile?
-
AMD's 2 litre 304bhp 162mph Fabia Monte Carlo TDi *6 speed conversion*
Every little helps.
-
Diesel Monte's 2001 Skoda Fabia "Project vRSDI"
Received some very nice stuff in the mail the other day, courtesy of VanhireBoys. Those are Apex lowering springs (from the brand on them). Fitting them was incredibly easy, Didnt even need to take the wheels off, or use spring clamps for that matter. Once the bottom damper bolt is undone they just kindof come out. Fitting was very easy too. Happily the bolts weren't nearly as crusty as the Monte Carlos that time I did the Whiteline, I ended up cutting one of them because I was so sick of trying to get it off in one piece. On this car it was little more than some wd40 and they just came right off. Finally some pics of before and after. Pics aren't greats as its gotten dark but theres a pretty noticable difference. Its cancelled out the rake this car had and it now looks to be sitting about even front and back. I dont know what size of a drop they are but they look great. I presume the fact my car is stripped out from the b pillars back is partially why its not lower (works for me, I have no intention of reinstating the back bench yet). Driving it around it feels great, took it over some very rough patches of farm track and the rear was perfect. The front springs are needing doing now but it atleast would seem that the shocks are in decent condition and can/will be reused. Good set of bilstein shocks too. Lastly, I intended on cleaning out the festering glovebox soon and I came in today to find that some bird used it for target practice. Great.
-
AMD's 2 litre 304bhp 162mph Fabia Monte Carlo TDi *6 speed conversion*
I know, but think of the quarter mile times... On a slightly more serious note, is it possible to run more tyre under your car? Be it from running a different offset wheel to get more room or having a slightly oversquare setup to have a fatter wheel in front surely it would atleast help matters. Then again too much grip would just snap driveshafts and what not.
-
AMD's 2 litre 304bhp 162mph Fabia Monte Carlo TDi *6 speed conversion*
Big massive drag radials when?
-
Stupid question about the Fogs and the DRL.
Hello everyone, I've been looking at the fogs on my car and I want to know if its possible to simply rewire the drls to come on tandem to the fogs? I think it looks a bit odd with just the fog lights on and the positioning of the drls would likely help illuminate the edges of the road. If it is possible, what would be the best way of doing it? I was thinking of just running the wires from the fogs and doing it that way but would that trip something in the car for a blown bulb? Maybe I could mess with the switch under the steering wheel and just have them constantly on with the ignition? I don't think they checked for the drls during the NCT so I wouldn't have any trouble there.
-
Replacing Steering Wheel
As someone already said that multi function wheel wont work. The airbag issue might be solved by changing the connector but i'd be iffy on trusting myself wiring an airbag. From experience, those ******s are basically a small bomb going into your face, very loud and if that goes off in the middle of your daily commute you might well wreck from the shock of it. Maybe a mk4 golf wheel with the controls would work. The mk1 vRS steering wheel seems to be the exact same as a mk4 golf gti wheel. The airbag should connect up to the fabia too if my cars anything to go off of.
-
new member
Spare key would be enticing. I only got one key and apparently its the spare key. No buttons except for a big one for a little light I believe
-
new member
Bump, my mk1 has similar problems on occasion. I think its due in part to the lock on the drivers door being worn. Put another way, I can unlock my mk1 with my mk2's key, or a house key, or anything that sortof looks like a key. I could probably open it with a library card if I tried.
-
Additional jacking point for Axle stands ( Skoda Fabia 1.6 TDI 2012)
I'm going to get some flak for this but I've resorted to (very gingerly) using the jack just under the drivers door and putting the stands in the proper spot. I have to be extra careful because Monte Carlos have those black sideskirts and i'm deathly afraid of damaging them. Saying that i've yet to have any trouble doing it that way. Make sure its on the seam though and a rubber pad on the jack would be preferred. Front doors I should say.
-
DieselMonte's 2012 Monte Carlo Project. (175hp 6 speed swapped)
Thought I'd upload the alignment sheet. Car drives straight as with the wheel straight now. It would seem that I infact did have the toe adjustment set decently. Now its set 100 percent properly so hopefully I wont have to worry about it for a while. Camber is slightly higher on the passengers side, seemingly the bushes being worn out is the cause. I think the wishbones are going to be next.
-
AMD's 2 litre 304bhp 162mph Fabia Monte Carlo TDi *6 speed conversion*
Its your car and its a much faster car than mine granted, but I cant help but imagine the big grin you must get slamming it into the next gear during a hard pull. I feel like a dsg would just make it into a car thats all about getting the next tenth of a second off a quarter mile time, as opposed to a nutty diesel hot hatch.
-
Rear anti roll bar - worthwhile?
I've one on my mk2 and its a massive gain, I had it on the middle setting for a while and it felt like the car should have come this way as stock. I put it on the hardest setting there and its further improved the handling. My back tyres are cheapy toledo tyres and it still grips and grips. Much much more controlled and much smoother through corners even at a much higher speed.
-
DieselMonte's 2012 Monte Carlo Project. (175hp 6 speed swapped)
Track rod ends done today. Got firstline ones 26 euro for the set at the local motorfactors. They certainly seem to be decently made bits and for the price they seem very good quality. Fitted them relatively easily, only trouble stemmed from having to resort to using a sledgehammer to free them from the hub. I got it aligned close enough to drive home and its honestly near perfect as is, will still get it aligned first thing tomorrow. The clunk I felt is still there it seems to be stemming from the Top mounts so i'll tighten them when I can. I needed to do the Track rod ends anyway, the standard ones were wrecked, inners seem ok though. The console bushes are well, bushed! They look as perished as my mk1's in all honesty. Those Problem solving bushes seem to be a good shout so I might consider them. If i'm doing the console bushes i'll probably do the TTRS ball joints too, a hint of negative camber is all I need for my driving. I dont know exactly what year of TTrs to get them from though, I wont be doing them for a while yet. This car still handles pretty great for what it is though, hard to imagine what it'll be like after a bit more upkeeps put into it. The way I see it, the parts are cheap on these cars and they're easy to do. If I sold it tomorrow and got (say) a golf, I likely would need to do all of this anyways and I still probably wouldnt have as good of a car in the end as this one. Worst case, the receipts are good to keep to prove its been well maintained so realistically I'm as well to get this car in top shape than run it to the ground
-
AMD's 2 litre 304bhp 162mph Fabia Monte Carlo TDi *6 speed conversion*
Wheres the fun in a dsg? These are cheap fun warm/hot hatches that are generally fun to drive, wouldnt a dsg take away from that. A dsg would be more expensive than a 5 or a 6 speed surely?
-
Fabia 1.2 tdi remap and upgrades !
Standard Monte carlo springs are probably best for cost. They're a stiffer oem spring thats only a hair lower. I'm in the same boat as you and cant lower my car much at all because of the ****e roads. I think new struts and springs with some better bushings will be the best course of action for my own car. 288mm will be a good oem upgrade, wouldnt bother touching the rears at all atleast for now. I've had experience with both 256mm and 288mm and the 256mm brakes are good with a decent set of pads and discs anyway. 288mms are more than plenty for most any fabia. They've got good stopping power, saved my ass enough times with animals jumping out in front of me.
-
logo recommendation please?
Should be 56mm for a fabia.
-
Brake fluid warning light
I dont know what else to say. Just that fuses are a good place to check first. Plenty of times its just been blown fuses for me in general.
-
Brake fluid warning light
I see. Check all ABS related fuses. If you're lucky one of them might have just blown.
-
logo recommendation please?
They aren't OEM per se. They're just a proper clip in job rather than a sticker that goes over the top. I havent bought these, these are just ones I found in eBay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373434903033 I've been meaning to get some myself but I keep forgetting.
-
Brake fluid warning light
Handbrake switch? Maybe it thinks the handbrake is still on and flashes to warn you?