Skip to content

Phoenixboy

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Phoenixboy

  1. It's more the weird braking feel I'll no doubt adapt to, than the resistance of the transmission/hybrid system when you take your foot off the accelerator to slow down wothout braking that bothers me a little lol. The brake pedal starts off firm, then a kind of a light spot, then firms up again. Usually when braking under 30mph to zero, but not everytime. The brakes seem in excellent generally condition. No doubt a characteristic of the car I'll eventually adapt to, coming from a straight petrol engine 1.5tsi. Thanks for your input
  2. Thanks for the info, do you mean driving modes? Eco, normal and sport. I do like having a little more resistance within normal setting when you take your foot off the gas, helps to slow down the car without braking. Unlike my previous 1.5tsi mk3 dsg, very little transmission resistance when taking your foot off the excellorator.
  3. Hello all, I've just bought myself a 23 plate Octavia e-tec 1.5tsi dsg sel, with a full leather upgrade. I like the car, info screen been good (early days). It's my 3rd Octavia now with this engine, but my first mk4. I've noticed a slight brake surge occasionally under lower speed braking. Is this a normal characteristic for this engine with the mild hybrid none plug system? Probably best to describe it as a bit of extra brake travel during braking, with a slight power boost at the same time. Not everytime you brake, just occasional during lower speed moderate to hard braking. Didn't really pick up on it during the test drive. Nothing like this, with the mk3's I've previously owned without the mild hybrid system. Other than that the car handles better than my previous mk3 1.5 tsi octavias. Nicer interior, as I've gone up from the se spec. I'm just learning how to use the extra tec, turning off lane assist and front brake assist, as I don't like either. The start and stop is smoother.
  4. Basically at the back of the glove box there's a little plastic hook on an extendable rod, unhook it, prior to pulling the box out. It's best to fully extend it again when clipping it back in. It's a bit fiddly the first time you do it, after that it's a lot easier to do.
  5. I've had & claimed on few aftermarket warranties in the past, some successfully, some not. I currently have the skoda "all in", servicing and warranty plan, as it was a good price & hopefully it would cover my engine and dsg box within the event of sudden failure. Within your situation, I'd prob take the 3 months warranty that's been offered & leave it at that. Try to save up a bit of cash, as time progresses, to cover extra repairs, as & when needed. Most aftermarket warranties I've had, usually cover everything, but what you want them to cover. If you have any issues within the first 30 days after purchase, take it straight back to the dealer & ask them to repair it under the 30 rule. let them sort it, rather than involving yourself with the warranty company yourself.
  6. It's got nothing to do with how you perceive weakness, the op has already paid a chunk of cash to have it diagnosed, there's a chance skoda could pay a significant contribution towards a replacement engine. It's up to him what he does next, he was asking for our opinions, I wasn't asking for or wanting yours.
  7. Does your car have a full skoda serivce history? If it does, then it maybe worth the £900 gamble to see if Skoda would make a decent contribution towards a replacement engine, as you've already chucked a grand at it. If you don't have a full skoda history, then I'd be tempted to buy a decent used engine & have that fitted. A lot breakers offer a few month guarantee on used engines. I think you've been unlucky for your engine to destroy it's self at that mileage. I'm not an expert on vag cars or how their dealerships interact with Skoda, have made plenty of other claims through other dealerships over the years, dealerships tend to have lower labour rates when dealing directly with the manufacturer, compared to what they've quoted you. Same with extended warranties.
  8. If it didn't feel right then I'd walk away, plenty more used motors to choose from. As you say, had the egr valve fairly recently done, juddery from a standing start. I have the same type of dsg box with the 1.5tsi engine fitted to my car, now covered 70k, always smooth on take off.
  9. No, I bought an estate instead. Another Skoda dealer offered to do it for just over £700, but it was a year ago now.
  10. I'd replace it if you were wanting to keep your car, considering the mileage you are covering. I've covered 70k now within my Octavia with the same engine as yours, still original timing belt. If you do decide to change it using a main dealer, ring around, I had one quote me as low as £500 all in to change one on my last 1.5tsi ACT, just over a year ago now. North East England area.
  11. I'd have the battery load tested for free by a trusted independent garage.
  12. This is my second Octavia with the 7 speed dq200 box (now covered 70k), I've had no issues with either, both always been silky smooth. Personally I just use in in normal driving mode, tried eco, don't like it, neither did I save fuel. As the above poster has mentioned, I always place mine into neutral, too, if my start & stop is off & I've stopped at a lights. I always have whether I've owned an auto or a manual transmission. The dsg is the smoothest duel clutch transmission I've used, worst the infamous Ford power shift slush box. I've also previously owned a few torque convertors, too.
  13. This engine seems to eat plugs, I had two sets fitted on my previous 68 plate 1.5tsi act engine. First set started to fail under 10k, codes were random misfires and single cylinder misfires. My engine started to randomly run rough on tickover and then gradually became worse from a cold start over time, until eventually the engine ran on 3 cylinders from a cold start. Once the plugs were changed again the engine was back to A1 again. My current 19 plate 1.5tsi (different car now), had its plugs changed 10 months ago, up to now I've experienced no engine issues whist running or during tick over, its now covered 70k. Always ran smoothly within any conditions.
  14. From what I've read it's for cars aged 3 to 6, up to 100k on the clock. One minor & one major service inc plugs if you have a petrol car.
  15. Yes I'd pay monthly, too, interest free. I was just pointing it out that it was £200 cheaper at the moment. I'll probably take up their offer. As my years Skoda extended warranty runs out in Jan, my car is 6 next year. I took this out on my previous Octavia, cancelled it half way through to buy my current estate. I wasn't charged an excessive amount either for breaking my contract, just paid for what I'd already used.
  16. Just for info, the "all in", warranty & servicing package is now available until the 02/12/24 with £200 off. So it's now at £695 for two years.
  17. As previously stated, take your battery for a free load test at a trusted garage. I personally have never owned a car yet (owned many), that the s/s system has worked 100% of the time. This is my second Octavia with the same engine as yours, mine doesn't work 100% of the time either, when it does it's not always 100% reliable either, I'm certainly not concerned about it though, my battery is good. My car always idles consistently, slighter higher for a few seconds after a cold start then drops back to normal. No increases at junctions or lights when stopped. This engine can be marginally jerky to use when very cold, although within the bounds of acceptability within my experience. If you are not sure about it's previous service history, I'd also be tempted to change the spark plugs. As mine started breaking down x3 of the 4 within two years after being changed within my last octavia, my current one had them changed a year ago.
  18. Doesn't sound right to me, I have the dq200 7 speed dsg box, second Octavia I've owned with this transmission, always had 100% smooth gear changes in all gears, no matter what speed I'm at. If you are wanting to keep it, may be best to have an independent gearbox specialist for them to take a look & give you their opinion.
  19. I've had plenty of issues with my last 2018 and current 2019 1.5tsi act Octavia dsg. I think I jumped ship a bit late on the vag reliability front. None of them have been major issues, just software/hardware glitches, false alarm activations, rear hatch lock failure, rear wiper motor failure, spark plug failures under 2 years old, ongoing rear hatch water ingress issue with my previous octavia hatch. I've only owned Skodas for 2.5 years so far, so within my opinion very average on the reliability front. My current Octavia has 68k on the clock, fsh. Previous under 50k when I'd sold it, again fsh. They''re great for space, both dsg dq200 transmissions have been excellent, zero issues, 1.5tsi act engines also very economical with enough power for me. I'd expect some issues with a car 10 years plus old though with nearly 100k on the clock, Although I've previously owned low mileage cars (none vag), had issues with them, too.
  20. Fantastic news. always best to have it load tested, even if you'd previously tested it with a multi meter.
  21. Possibly the plugs, was with mine, but without an in-depth diagnostics, hard to tell. Last place I'd ever want to take my car out of warranty would be a skoda dealer. Just out of interest, does yours use any oil? Mine is on 68k now, useless around 1/4 of a litre of oil every 3 months or 2k covered. My last one didn't use, any.
  22. When I had the EFB battery replaced my previous Octavia, the garage coded it in with cloned software, think I paid £150 all in with a 2 year guarantee. I've not as yet coded a Skoda battery in myself, so can't advise you on then, as I'm fairly new to vag. Hopefully the new battery may sort out your running issues, once you've coded it in.
  23. With gdi engines the inlet valves are not washed with petrol, prior to combustion, hence carbon build up. Some gdi engines engines seem more susceptible to this than others. I know with the older mini, pug, bmw gdi engines those inlet valves were cleaned with a walnut shell blasting machine. I'd have thought if they were heavily carboned up it may of effected the performance of the engine, too. Although I'm no expert. Those 1.5tsi engines do seem to eat plugs, though. My last 1.5tsi ACT had two sets within two years. Stating the obvious have you had your battery load tested?
  24. I had a similar issue with my previous Octavia 1.5tsi, initially it was mainly at start up, gradually became worse over time, the AA did a code reader on it when it threw up an ecu light (the engine then sounded like a bag of hammers), random cylinder misfires. I had an extended warranty at the time with Skoda, so I then took it in for a diagnostic, they confirmed 3 of the 4 plugs were breaking down, even though they'd supposedly changed them less than two years ago, they replaced 3 under warranty & I paid for the fourth myself, as they were to tight to replace it under warranty. Anyway it solved the issue. Once the engine had warmed up & the AA breakdown fella had arrived the engine was running sweet again, but fortunately there was some historic codes stored.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.