Everything posted by Phoenixboy
-
Alarm fault
Or no not another turn off during every ignition cycle job, even worse if you have to turn it off through the screen, at least with the s/s, there's a button. I didn't actually consider that, I'll check mine tomorrow. At least I haven't got lane assist to contend with.
-
Kangaroo, Start/Stop & Fuel Economy - Am I going mad?
I'm fairly new to Vag/Skoda, only owned 2, 1.5tsi's & the 1.0tsi in the scala. The 1.5tsi doesn't seem a bad engine within my experience, very economical as it shuts off 2 cylinders around 30% of the time. I've noticed no increased economy between e5 or e10 or any performance difference. Not that I bought my Octavia estate for performance. I've mainly owned vauxhalls from the the 80's onwards, but they've took a nose dive of recent, especially since Stellantis has took them over. I've avoided any wet belt engines up to now.
-
Alarm fault
Have you tried un-ticking the interior monitoring function off within your settings menu? Seemed to work for when a had a couple of random alarm activations for no apparent reason. Mine hasn't gone off again since I did this.
-
Kangaroo, Start/Stop & Fuel Economy - Am I going mad?
I mainly use E10, I have noticed no difference with e5 on performance or economy, only the fact e5 costs more at the pump. Although I'm not a sporty orientated driver, either. I always drive within "normal", driving mode, too, not eco. S/S usually turned off, I have around 32psi within all 4 tyres, too (205 55 16's). looking back, I don't think the slow breakdown of my plugs had initially effected my mpg too badly, but once they'd thrown an ECU light my car was running like a bag of hammers. I'm also running with 0w 20 oil, as recommended by VW/Skoda for my engine. Earlier on within it's life Skoda had used their 5w 30 oil within it, may make a marginal difference on fuel economy. Thinner oil, marginally less friction.
-
Kangaroo, Start/Stop & Fuel Economy - Am I going mad?
I've owned a couple of these engines now with dsg transmissions, my current Octavia has covered 68k on a 19 plate (1.5tsi act). It's smooth generally at all speeds or when hot or cold. It makes no difference whether I used e5 or e10 fuel. I had a similar issue to you with my last 1.5tsi, started at around 24k, no ecu light initially, the symptoms gradually became worse, when the ecu light did appear, I had a diagnostic done at Skoda, they diagnosed failing plugs, even though they'd changed them less than two years ago. So I had them replaced under their extended warranty again, although they'd only cover the cost of 3, I paid for the fourth plug to be replaced, as Skoda were too tight to replace the full set, as only 3 had failed. After that the car was A1. Coil pack could also cause similar issues, too. Although I'd say there can be a very slight jerkiness to this engine at times, only minor though. Within tolerances I'd say though, mine would occur say when taking my foot off the accelerator whilst slowing down when turning right on a round about, but I have to feel for it. Nothing compared to when my car was really kangerooing. I've averaged 48mpg long term from my current Octavia, that's a mix of b roads, town and A road use. Even around town I'm getting high 30's, without hitting very heavy traffic. I've never owned a car yet with s/s that's worked 100% of the time with any manufacturer. I generally turn mine off, anyway. I'm presuming you have a Skoda extended warranty like myself, if so you could book it in for a diagnostic, but as you have no ecu light, they may not find anything & may possibly charge you £135 for the pleasure or whatever Skoda charge these days. I just couldn't believe they wouldn't change 4 of my plugs for what the extra plug would have cost them. At least they covered my diagnostic cost.
-
Kangaroo, Start/Stop & Fuel Economy - Am I going mad?
Yes this was my previous Octavia, resolved eventually by a new set of plugs. By the time a code was thrown up via an diagnostic, it was running very rough.
-
Advice on tyres
I'd probably go for anything mid range, summer tyres, unless you live far up north. I've found kumhos to be very decent for the money & longevity, as like myself you seem not to be a sportier driver these days😅I'd stick with the load rating from factory on all 4 tyres, if you are fitting 4, avoid fitting XL tyres if not required. I try to fit 4 at a time, if possible or at least 2 across the same axle.
-
Is this fuel pipes rattle?
I also suffered from this exact noise with my previous mk3 Octavia 1.5t ACT DSG, at 1800rpm, only. Put up with it for 18 months until I sold my car to buy my current 1.5tsi estate without this annoying noise. I couldn't find where it was coming from, sounded like it was coming from behind the dash area. I tested the fuel pipes, moving them whilst someone revved my car, made no difference.
-
Car alarm possible fault?
Good point about an earthing possible fault. I bought my car from a skoda dealer 6 months ago, at that point software updates were up to date. The battery seems to be charging and holding its charge OK. Hopefully some codes would have been logged due to the intermittent alarm activations, also possible that the head unit screen was a separate issue. I had no issues with the alarm, locks or screen until around a month ago. It's also very intermittent. Screen has been OK now for over 2 weeks. I'll live with it until it annoys me enough to book it in for an diagnostic. Thanks for the info.
-
Car alarm possible fault?
Thanks for the info. I've just had my battery load tested and it's good. I also have the skoda extended warranty, software updates are not covered, probably amongst other stuff. At the moment it seems as though the car is suffering from random tech glitches or has done so for around the last month. I'll see how it goes, if I keep having issues with it I might take it into skoda or else where for a diagnostic, as I'd have thought there would be some fault codes stored with the the alarm randomly sounding or possibly a good auto electrician. The head unit has been A1 over the last two weeks, prior to that I had around two weeks of it randomly turinging off and then back on whilst I was driving without me touching it. This is my second mk3 Octavia, both have gave me reliability issues during the short time I've owned them. I wont be buying a mk4 for certain, especially with their well known info screen software glitches. My Octavia estate is a very practical car, but plagued with electrical gremlins. If I ever find out what has caused the glitches ill post why.
-
Car alarm possible fault?
I've had a few random alarm activations with my 19 plate Octavia over the last couple of weeks. The first time it went off, I walked away from my car, locked it, as you do, 2 mins later I unlocked it then sat in the drivers seat, closed my door, sat for around 1 mins, then put my key into the ignition barrel, whilst I turned it, the alarm went off for a couple of seconds along with the hazard lights, then then car started & all OK again. A week later, I parked my car up with the two front windows open. Got out of my car with my ignition key, walked around my car, got back in it again, shut my door, alarm went off again, used my fob to press the unlock button, alarm still was going off. I then put my keys within the ignition & turned it & the alarm then went off. So I decided to play around a bit more with my alarm. After turning my ignition off, I opened the drivers side door & shut it again whilst sat in the car. 10 seconds later the car locked it's self without me touching the key fob. This is a few weeks after my head unit was randomly turning it's self off & on, so no idea if it's just coincidence or not. I then decided to check my car battery prior to starting my car, just in case my battery was low, it read 12.49v, after being stood overnight, so that looked OK. Although I've not had it load tested as yet.
-
Replacement key
There's a place in Norton I've used before, you'd have to ring them first (The Cobblers of Norton).
-
Octavia mk3 SE L wheel and tyre options
One of the main reasons I went for the SE spec, as it came with 205/55 16's from standard, slightly more compliant ride, bigger, cheaper tyre choice, too. I also went for the lower spec, as wanted less tech gizmos, inc lane assist. Downgrading your tyres & wheels wouldn't be a difficult job, if that was the route you wanted to take. More meat on the tyres would give you slightly better comfort over potholes, no matter what make you put on. I do prefer the extra comfort of the SEL seats, but I wouldn't go to the effort to swap mine.
-
Octavia 1.0 tsi manual
Auto tailgate sounds good, never had that luxury😂12v boot power socket good, too. Estate's are so much more practical, my first in over 35 years of driving. The 1.0tsi is surprisingly peppy, doesn't feel underpowered, within my opinion.
-
Octavia 1.0 tsi manual
Mine is stop and start, I'd presume the rest are now, just a button to press to disable it. Mine being the SE spec, it also has a key being on an 19 plate. I purposely picked a lower spec car for less gizmos & smaller wheels. Load space is great, also like the fact you can flip the rear seats down from the boot area, too. Rear seats don't fully fold flat, though, but not far off.
-
Octavia 1.0 tsi manual
I stripped everything out of my boot, I could see where the water was coming in from, but unable to stop it, as it was leaking in from a seam lower down, tracking in from somewhere else. I didn't really want to take the rear bumper off to investigate further. Also took the rear light clusters off, too. Then moved onto an estate, as I needed the extra room. Now having an intermittent issue with the display screen, turning off an on itself.
-
Octavia 1.0 tsi manual
My mate owned an Up GTI 1.0tsi manual, the engine seemed impressive, although the car was a bit lighter. Regarding my dsg (dq200), it's my second mated to the 1.5tsi engine, the both auto boxes have performed faultlessly, always smooth & my current Octavia has now covered 66k now. The start and stop system has always been a bit of a pain within all my vag cars, so I tend to switch it off, whether it be the 1.0tsi or the 1.5ti engines. I also had an ongoing boot leak into my previous Octavia (not this one), so I'd take out the spare wheel & if it's at all wet or feels sticky under it, leave it well alone.
-
Octavia 1.0 tsi manual
The 1.0 tsi is not a rocket, but it's not slow. I also found it to be very economical engine using e10 within my previous Scala 1.0tsi dsg. What I did find with the 1.0tsi mated to the dsg, it was a little slow to engage dsg on take off, bit of a lag, around a second, but something I adapted my driving style, too. So it's probably better mated up to a manual box. I don't have that issue with my current 1.5tsi act dsg estate.
-
Dash touch screen head unit.
I spoke too soon it's just started doing it again🤣 a week later, so very intermittent.
-
Dash touch screen head unit.
Update, It's not happened again, I'll put it down to a software glitch.
-
1.5 TSI ACT with DSG advice
I'm onto my second MK3 facelift Octavia with this engine & dsg box, my current Octavia has covered 66k up to now, no dsg or engine issues with either motors so far. They are known for going through sparkplugs fairly quickly or within my experience, anyway. Other than that I'd have no issues with buying this engine again. On my previous 1.5tsi dsg, I replaced the rear wiper motor & boot lock button switch (common issue), other than a recent software screen glitch that's not occurred again, they've been reliable. I also replaced a set of plugs after 10k. Both engines have ran smooth from cold & hot, until one of the plugs started to fail, it was then running lumpy for a bit without any dash lights, until I replaced it when a dash light came up with a cylinder missfire, caused by the plug breakdown. If my current Octavia wasn't under Skoda extended warranty I'd prob have the dq200 dsg box oil replaced & the mechatronic box's oil replaced, too. Both sealed for life, but we know what that means. I bought my current Octavia from a skoda main dealer, it came with a yaers extended warranty, when that runs out I'll be taking the Skoda all in 2 year warranty out, inc servicing & breakdown cover, as it's reasonably priced. If I have my car after that I'd then prob change the gearbox oil & have the timing belt replaced, too, but as they'll all be covered under the extended warranty, I won't until then. So far I've not had any dsg related issues with either car, the 7 speed dsg box has always ran smoothly without issues.
-
Dash touch screen head unit.
Whilst I was driving along today my display clock decided to turn it's self on and off intermittently. I then turned on my radio, that did the same thing, but come up with a message stating "the park pilot is unavailable". It's seemed to have stopped doing this for now. Anyone experienced similar? Could it be faulty head unit?
-
Weird noise thats like a wheel bearing but isnt.
I was going to say your roof rails can make a strange type of noise at speed, hard to identify until you know what it was. I can hear mine at around 60 mph up over you see, being my first ever estate I didn't realise what the noise was, until someone obviously pointed it out to me. Nothing below that speed, though. Have you tried swapping your wheels and tyres over from front to back?
-
Weird noise thats like a wheel bearing but isnt.
Are you hearing it at all speeds or at just higher speeds?
-
Boot not opening from outside. Which bit to replace?
As above has stated, its a common issue, I had one replaced under extended skoda warranty on my last octavia. Otherwise I'd have replaced it myself.