Everything posted by leolito
-
Wow whats happened to the Superb ? My last Skoda ?
Man, is not so bad - I got horrible news from pals with way more "prestigious" brands .... and at a fraction of your time and usage! I would stick to the SIII, I do not see a reasonable replacement any time soon, in its category at least. You could jump from yours to a late model, they are also quite expensive but a known breed. Don't be afraid to jump borders to get your car, you are in the heart of Europe so should be fairly easy - heck, I got mine from Czech after months of searching! Other possibility that I am thinking about: Change my Mk3 for a ยซ reasonable ยป daily and buy an old car. Maybe a Triumph TR4 or even more ยซ crazy ยป, to still get fun with a car. Now you are going straight into madness territory. From a longtime scrapper and serial accumulator of old stuff, be very careful with what you wish for .... you might discovery endless ways to part with your money. Imagine I've decided on my 280 as a 'reasonable' "almost* daily", so imagine the rest of the garage ๐๐ And SWMBO agreed! * I say "almost daily" because for everyday trashing i use a small econobox, yes, is not so rewarding, but I do not see a great advantage in ruining an expensive car in small runs.... referring also so numbskull post above, I'd greatly support having a small runaround. Yes, it is another set of costs (tax, insurance, MOT, tires, battery, etc.) but it helps compensate costs greatly. I am waiting the moment a right Citigo EV comes around and then I might upgrade the econobox as well ....
-
Random failures of fancy gadgets
There could be also various quality levels. I'd would not go too cheap on ABS sensors, if they provide incorrect/fluctuating data and/or are not calibrated properly, you might not solve your problem and be back at square one. Also, do you have the chance to run a 'live test' to see if all sensors are registering speed and with what variations? Sometimes the problem might not be the sensor itself, but something else, like if it got dislogded from its housing, or work was done around the area and it got banged/hammered, presence of rust, and so on. Actually, I'd say the reason of your electrical problems is ... Solihull ๐ Only nightmares ....๐คช Just joking ๐
-
Wow whats happened to the Superb ? My last Skoda ?
I also agree, at least for the time being.... your car's got some years, but if is 50K miles that is barely run in, I'd say. There are certain things which go bad in time, some bad with mileage ...
-
Boot lid open on its own.
I can't explain it ๐คช
-
Skoda Superb 3, convert RHD to LHD
As one that spent some time in the trade, albeit not dealing with this aspect of the business, I add to the above that it is very, very profitable. Now, not hugegly profitable as it was before you guys jumped ship (or so it seems), but is still. There is a tremendous value in parts in a modern car. Latest trend from few years back is to get written off cars from US/CDN, which come here at virtually gift prices, fixed up (with various degress of quality), and then sold off at magical market prices. Considering the lack of regulation on the matter, it should come at no suprise that there is a sub-world living off on this ... What the OP has done is a classic at these latitudes, as it would be super cheap in labor terms to buy something written off and fix it. Personally, I've always considered 'mainstream' RHD cars should be banned in LHD countries, and viceversa. They are a very dangerous item, a moving bomb, literally. Luckily, over recent years the influx from the Kingdom has reduced itself substantially, and for example here, while you can still import and register a RHD car, is no longer possible to do the conversion "yourself" but it has to be legalized/certified by a dealer or authorized mechanic from the manufacturer. To the list of parts suggested above, there is also all the ancillaries that live "behind" the dash, in case they are asymmetrical, like the A/C piping, HVAC piping, fan and its box, but before anything gets started, I would look very carefully that the firewall is symmetric enough to allow the swap of the pass-through components. Some cars "look like" symmetric, but are not. Even in my Range Rover (British car! Lord!), which I've stripped enough to the bone, is not that immediate a swap of sorts. Even a more primitive car like a Landy Series, still requires dedicated work to make the swap happen, like welding the gussets for the steering box ... Last crazy guy I've heard that wanted to do this with an A4 B7 DTM edition (also purchased for few peanuts) abandoned the project when he heard the wiring looms could not be "extended" but had to be replaced entirely. Crazy prices. Better as suggested, get a LHD donor car ... and lots of time.
-
Virtual pedal โSimply Uncleverโ
Add me to the list, happened a few times. Learned to tiptoe carefully around the rear bumper, or to leave the key in the proximity of the front of the car.
-
Boot lid open on its own.
The only two times it did this to me, both times without sound, it was because I had the keyfob in my pocket and probably activated without wanting it. There are several topics on the subject from many years ....
-
Handbrake when shifting to position P
Bap, many thanks for clearing this up and provide this info, extremely useful. I am also buggered by the sometimes "brusque" release of the autohold. When I am manouvering, I exclude it altogether sometimes. I will try the coding ....hopefully will stick to a FL.
-
Windows 10 discussion and advice
I succeeded! I changed the settings to 'recent programs' (it was 'frequent programs'). Now it seems fine, will run it for a couple of days and see.... Incidentally, today I received an email labeling me a pervert and preparing myself with a thousand bucks in crypto otherwise my deviances will be exposed ... well at least it got me motivated to change my password, thing that I was delaying ....
-
Rear Window Sun Blind For Hatch
I was going to mention I've secured the OE ones for my combi and mounted them. They are German, but I am not seriously impressed, especially considering the price. I have purchased several kits produced by UK company 'carshades' and I have to say these are a far superior product. Had I known, I woulda bought their option for the Superb, and save some money as well ....
-
Handbrake when shifting to position P
Interesting question, I've noticed mines comes on randomly, sometimes I leave the car in P and does not engage, sometimes it does. Mistery ...
-
Is facelift significant improvement?
I did not 'swap' from a pre-FL to a FL car, but for me the 7-speed was sufficient advantage ti win it over, being the trickiest mod to retrofit (if ever). It was a hard one against the double-injection setup, but oh well, a car with the right spec for me came along and ... so we are. I only did not imagine so much would change with the coding, but again, is not the end of all things. Choose the car according to condition and specification, I'd say.
-
Windows 10 discussion and advice
Lee thanks! You nailed it! My issue is tht I cannot see the "most recent programs", my list stays blank with only Windows Defender on it. No amount of usage bring any "app" in there. Am I missing something in the settings? Mine is set as 'Classic with two columns' I think
-
Windows 10 discussion and advice
Got it .... I am not sure this is the case, but in the week will try some variations and see what I come up with. Thanks!
-
Windows 10 discussion and advice
Sorry for this resurrection, but I got a funny issue with Win10 ... I started using it just couple months ago (don't laugh), upset by the start/menu pop display which is substantially different than the one I had in Win7 (classic layout, I no like frills), I downloaded some program called "Classic Shell" which looks faily similar to the Win7 layout. However I cannot seem to be able to customize it so I can see recently opened programs in the pop up, as I was able with Win7. Anybody that has managed to understand my cumbersome explanation has an idea? Thanks! ๐คช
-
Thoughts on Superb 4x4 280
Some topics here refer to a probably "weep" or leak from the thermostat/water pump housing, which could lead to a catastrophic failure if it breaks in a high engine speed situation (think highway). If you have a chance to drop underneath the car or lift it, look for traces of coolant in the lower areas of the engine. I would keep an eye on it regularly ...
-
Thoughts on Superb 4x4 280
Agree totally, I can say however that a very smooth going will allow you to drive on Sports even if loaded and with family (and with a nagging wife as I have, sigh), provided you play with the paddles to overcome the way the DSG keeps the gears. Overall, although I found an ideal balance in the pedal/throttle response and the gearbox when in Sports, I think a pedal box is inevitable considering I often drive in other regimes .... This morning I was having coffee with one of my associates, which finally got the GL63 out of the workshop (this is the 5.5 twin turbo), and curiously was commenting the same thing. We went for a drive and when in ECO/Normal, is the same sensation: the same lagginess, the pedal is "lost", and so on. Turn it to Sports mode and it becomes lively, but as opposed to the Superb here the AMG V8 goes really wild, the situation becomes quickly uncontrollable, or better say totally outlaw ๐ Those pops and roars are a symphony however .... โบ๏ธ
-
Thoughts on Superb 4x4 280
Well, very good "gooda/bad" description. Myself, I do not see me going anywhere else, I do not like the SIV and I was not worried about the new model, I think the SIII with the 280/272/280 option is the zenith of Skoda manufacturing ... we are venturing in a future that is continously scaling down options, so choose wisely!
-
The Superb III Picture thread
Where do you find such sizes, or are they custom made?
-
Superb FL - Pit hole
Nice to know, who knows, you are not far away ๐
-
Superb FL - Pit hole
Zdravey! Well, we are almost neighbors and same choice of ride ๐ What Stage 1 options are you evaluating, remap or additional module? Me I am going for a module, starting to research, planning to do it around summer's end ...
-
Buying a used Superb Sportline Estate, what options to look for?
As said above, get the Matrix lights, the VC is great, much more than I ever expected! I was fixed on a few things things, from experience most of them not easy to retrofit: the hitch (if you tow, I do), yeah you can fit aftermarket but the OE is "the" hitch, the sunroof - I love a hole on the ceiling, yeah it requires a bit more maintenance but so what, I've had cars with sunroofs all my life of motoring (~25years so far) and except the one in the Range Rover (go figure ๐)none has given me any headache, the vario floor, extremely practical and costly to retrofit, and obviously leather (but not for you) and not Sportline, which meant not easy to find .... For other tricky things to retrofit, go see Aperture's topic here, which gives you an idea of how is to retrofit things, and you can choose if go that way or wait for a car specced as you want .... amazing read, sit down and take a tea to relax before the plunge ๐คช
-
Cannot refuel!!
I've had this occasionally happening to some of my other cars, not yet to the Superb. Never understood why it does it. But, since by definition I seldom refill an empty tank (leftovers of my motorcycle years), I just close the cap, move away and refill elsewhere. Usually, after a day or two it works and I refill without problems. I have no idea what makes it.
-
Superb MKIII owners register
It seems Quartz Grey is the most chosen color ๐
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
I got to do it, to replace the top ornament trim, but cannot find the time ... ๐