Everything posted by yesman
-
Superb overheated when towing but was fine after it cooled down!
Ah that's a new one on me! Is it something that could or will happen again or as it seems to have unstuck itself this time it will be fine?
-
Superb overheated when towing but was fine after it cooled down!
Hi all, as title say I've got a Superb 190 DSG Sportline, didn't have a problem getting it our caravan home from storage 2 days ago but just took it back to storage from our house which is a journey of around 4 miles, its hot so had air con on, got stuck in roadworks after a mile for about 2 minutes, also noticed the start/stop had switched off and it was possibly starting a regen, after around 3 miles accerated away from a roundabout a bit quicker than I normally would due to traffic and when I pulled off the roundabout the car came up with a warning about over heating, to pull over and read manual, which just said let the engine cool down, wait for the warning light to go out and continue your journey, it was in the red at about 120°, we was only just around the corner from the storage so pulled in and the car started to cool down, I was surprised nothing smelt hot so turned the engine off expecting the fans to overrun but surprisingly they didn't! I decided to take the car and caravan on another drive just to test it, for the first mile the engine was obviously still a bit hot so it would rise to 95° and cool to 90°, it did this 3 times and then just sat at 90° like I'd normally expect, took it for a long drive, which was quite hilly and it sat steady as a rock. Could this have been a freak combination of circumstances or is it a possible sign of a problem rearing its ugly head? I've been for a good drive and everything seems fine! Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Cheers all.
-
Superb Estate tow bar required
I had a removable Tow-Trust fitted last June after buying the car, I was a bit apprehensive as normally have Westfalia but because of the lockdown suppliers I rang could only get a Tow-Trust as they're a British make, has nothing to worry about as its a good bit of kit. Had dedicated 13pin electrics as well as tow a caravan. Also if its fitted correctly there should be some coding done to tell the car a towbar has been fitted. When a trailer or caravan is hitched and the electrics connected the car should show a trailer graphic on the touch screen, a trailer light failure indicator on the dash, turn of the parking sensors and reverse light on the car and I'm lead to believe how the DSG gearbox changes gear due to the extra weight as well as other engine and alternator settings but not sure if that's completely correct. Either way you must make sure the coding is done.
-
Show us your towing rig
Got a Sportline which is apparently 15mm lower than standard Superb, Tow a 1500kg single axle caravan and when hitched it sits as low as that, although the boot is fairly full and normally have 4 bikes on the roof, tows brilliantly and with no problem so not overly bothered myself although have looked at having auxiliary springs added to rear but was worried about how they would affect the day to day ride and handling, decided for the 30 or so times I tow my caravan a year just to have it as it is.
-
Service intervals for individual filters and oils?
Cheers, yes also booked in for DSG, after this service as I only do 8 to 9k a year having it changed to yearly oil changes, I use a VAG specialist and when he set out the prices for the yearly services is cost around the same as the full service on flexible servicing which at my mileage would be every two years.
-
Service intervals for individual filters and oils?
Hi all, Since Skoda in their ultimate wisdom decided to put our service records on line we obviously don't have a service book, one benefit of having the service book was it listed all the individual service parts, filters, oils, etc and their service intervals in miles/km. I have a 190 2.0 TDi DSG, does anyone have a list of the service items and mileage for changing them? The diesel filter is what I'm looking at at the moment as mine is on the flexible plan and going in for a full 40k service on Friday and I'd like to know if it should or shouldn't be done as part of the service. Cheers all.
-
Any good non corroding Skoda wheel center caps?
Hi all, As a long time multiple owner of Skoda's the one thing thats always been a problem and dissapointed me is the corrotion of the emblem on the wheel centre caps, something I'm sure your all aware of. For me it's something thats been a problem on every Skoda I've owned but I've not seen it on other cars. Doesn't matter if I buy OEM caps or cheap ones of E-Bay within a few months they start blowing and corroding around the outer edge and look a mess! It would be nice If like other manufacturers if they did a one piece cap from platic without the thin plate badge stuck on the top as this seems to be the problem. I was wondering if any had found any decent replacement caps that last and look good. Cheers
-
Is there a difference between Smartlink and Smartlink+? MySkoda issues
Have spoke to Skoda about this on a Twitter DM and the problem comes down to phones being too new for the cars software! My cars a 2017 and my phone is a 2020 Samsung model! There is a link on Skoda where you can check phone compatibility. https://compatibilitylist.skoda-auto.com/ All Skoda could suggest to get around the problem was to use a phone on the compatibility list, basically an older phone or to DM them on Twitter if I wanted any information like my service details. A bit poor if you ask me!!
-
Is there a difference between Smartlink and Smartlink+? MySkoda issues
Hi all, as you all probably know MySkoda has changed recently and to activate it you have to connect your phone to Smartlink+ on your car. I've logged in and the app recognises I have a vin registered, I then get the page in the attached photo telling me to connect to Smartlink+, I have done this and nothing, just that page. I can get Android Auto to work but just don't seem to be able to get the App working, I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong as there are no prompts after connecting my phone. The only thing I can see is my 2017 Superb has Smartlink and the phone is asking me to connect to Smartlink+, is there a difference and could that possibly be my problem? I'm only interested in connecting so I have the access to my service records like the old app gave you. So it would appear as I have a Galaxy A71 it's not compatible so how the hell do I access my service records now? Cheers all
-
Replacing car stop/start battery? Editted
Hi all, just following on from my previous thread, If I do need to replace the start/stop battery on my car how easy is it? I've read it a straight swap, I've also heard the battery needs coding to the car on VAG-COM. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers
-
Reg fan running on affecting battery on next start.
That's what I was thinking, anyone had a new battery?
-
Reg fan running on affecting battery on next start.
Hi all, more of less as title says, Got a 190 17 plate Sportline, twice now, today and about 6 weeks ago I've had the fans run on when stopping my car due to interrupting a regen, I know this is normal and normally I'd go for a drive to allow the regen to finish but both these times I'd just got work and that wasn't possible, I work 12 hour shifts and it's been cold but not freezing when I've got back to my car and on both occasions rather than turning over on the first spin of the engine as it has always done it took a 2 to 3 seconds and 3 or 4 turn overs for the engine to start, I've put it down to the fans running on and slightly draining the battery, anyone else experience this? is this to be expected due to the fans needing to run on? Or is it a sign the battery is beginning to fail? Also how often do you expect a regen? My friend has an Audi A4 with exactly the same engine, he does 35 minute motorway journeys to our work and back every shift, I do 20 minute journeys on A and B roads to our work, despite the difference we've both noticed that our cars will do or try to do a regen every two weeks, he's spoke to Audi who's told him this is normal and with some research has found some info stating its so often now due to the software change from the cheat scandal, does that all some plausibly? Cheers all
-
When do you fill your adblue tank?
Hi all, pretty much as the title says when do people fill their cars adblue tank when the warning comes on? On mine the 1500 miles warning has come on and I know the tank is 13 litres, I ordered a 10 litre adblue but not sure if there will be the room left in the tank for 10 litres or if I need to run it down a bit to make space. Cheers
-
Any tow a caravan with a 2.0 148bhp diesel?
Hi all, thought I'd ask this from a different point of view! I'm looking at moving back to Skoda and want a MK3 estate, ideally I'd like the 187bhp for towing a caravan but the majority of MK3's on the market are the 148bhp variant, I tow a 1500kg caravan and was hoping for some opinions of those who tow with either and whether I'd be better holding out for a 187! Cheers all