Everything posted by yesman
-
Brake peddle knock
So drove it yesterday, not one single knock, drove it again today and the knock was back!!🫤 Tried your trick of having the auto hold off, which worked a treat, only problem was the handbrake doesn't seem to come on automatically so it needs manual putting on so the car isn't resting on the gearbox. It's going in for an oil change soon at my local dealer so I'll ask them to look at it.
-
Brake peddle knock
Drove mine yesterday, and it didn't knock once, actually forgot about it at one point! Looks like it's going to be one of those things!!
-
Brake peddle knock
Hi, fortunately mine isn't that loud, yet!! But could you explain this a bit more, don't understand the "having to move DSG to N" bit. Cheers
-
Brake peddle knock
Thanks Both, TBF it was my initial thought that maybe there was a difference to my old car, mostly because I'd expect it to be there all the time if it was a problem, bonus is I still have 2 years warranty on the car.
-
Brake peddle knock
Picked up my 12 month old Sportline plus yesterday, really pleased with it now I'm getting to know the car and the differences to my old 2017 Sportline. One thing I have noticed, which I didn't seem to hear on my test drive and my 50 mile journey home yesterday, is when I come to a complete stop and the auto hold comes on, as I come off the brake peddle sometimes, not all the time, there's a faint knock. It's only after the auto hold has engaged and never when braking whilst travelling. Is this normal as can't remember hearing anything on my old Sportline? Or is it the dreaded "back to the dealers within a few days"?
-
Rear wiper blade for L & K estate
So pleased, well sort of pleased I saw this thread, picked up my 12 month old Sportline plus today and noticed the rear wiper was more or less "set" one way, tried it and as others have said it just juddered up the screen, Order the recommended A403H one from Amazon, only to then see this thread, fortunately in time to cancel the order, like many I have trawelled the Internet but can't find any reference to the new wiper. Can't believe this is going to be a part we need to order through Skoda!!
-
Columbus advice and help
Thanks Travs, I just ordered a USB stick very similar.
-
Columbus advice and help
Hi all, Just swapped my 2017 Sportline for a 2024 Sportline plus, my old Superb's infotainment unit had a hard drive which you could save music on to from a USB stick, My new Superb has the larger full touch screen unit, a Columbus I believe, I've been playing around with the media option, I can play music off a USB stick but can't see an option in media management to transfer the music, I'm taking that means it's not like my old infotainment unit and there's no hard drive storage space for music? So basically I'd have to have it all on a USB stick permanently in the armrest USB port. Cheers
-
Superb estate advice
Just to throw one in the mix how about a Sportline line, for me the best looking Superb, kit level between an SEL and L&K, lovely alcantara interior. Great car. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109287888665?atmobcid=soc3
-
Sudden Over Temperature warning
Exactly the same as me mate, price almost identical, it wasn't the Lion Garage was it?
-
Sudden Over Temperature warning
Can more or less be 100% certain it will be water pump failure as has exactly the same happen to my Superb at the start of the year, fortunately mine was due it cambelt change around 10 months later so just bought that forward a bit, when it was changed the garage showed me the pump and there's a diverter ring on the impeller that move when the car gets up to temperature to send the water around the cooling system a different way, a bit like the old thermostat did, the ring on the pump had seized causing the car to overheat. This would explain the cold hoses as only the engine block is overheating and not the cooling system.
-
Center wheel caps, any success?
Don't use wheel cleaner, just Autoglym shampoo.
-
Center wheel caps, any success?
Hi all, I know this is on going with Skoda and been the same problem for as long as I've own a Skoda but has anyone yet to find a Skoda wheel centre cap that doesn't corrode after a few months, whether they're OEM or after market, I've tried all sorts, expensive ones, cheap ones, oem, after market and the only difference I've found is the more expensive the longer before they corrode but they eventually will. I'm actually surprised no one's started plastic printing them as I'm sure if they stood up to the elements Skoda owners would buy them. Has anyone had any luck finding decent one's that don't corrode? Cheers and sorry for going over the same old same old.
-
Diamond cut alloy wheels usual corrosion, next step?
I've got a 2017 Sportline with the beautiful 19" Vega wheels. Love the titanium grey and the shiny diamond cut alloy outline that makes them look super slim and elegant. My problem is the usual diamond cut curse, corrosion, I know from previous cars theres nothing you can really do to stop it and I also know that it's around £120 a wheels to get them properly diamond cut refurbed compared to the around £60 a wheel to be powder coated, and then after that cost they'll just start corroding again. On my Superb2 I had it's diamond cut alloys power coated silver all over and they looked good and hardly different to originals but I'm torn what to do with my Sportline. It's red so I think gloss black powder coating would suit the car but I love the grey that comes as standard around the diamond cutting. Any thoughts?
-
Strange Aircon issue!
Thanks sounds like it could be what's happening to mine, I'll try the flaps reset. But suspect a build up of ice as I've had no issues at all over the last 2 days even though it's been so hot!!
-
Strange Aircon issue!
Profile must be wrong as had a Superb3 for over a year now
-
Strange Aircon issue!
On a 3 hour journey on Saturday the aircon on my Superb started off as usual blasting out nice cold air, then we noticed after around 2 hours the fan was running really slow despite what setting we tried and it was only blowing out slightly cold air, we had a break for around 90 minutes and when we got going the aircon was back to normal blasting out cold air, ever since its been fine and working how I'd expect, Does the aircon go in to a safe mode if it's being over used? What could have caused this, I have read long term aircon use can freeze up the system. Fortunately I took out the Skoda All In plan on Friday so if its a problem will get them to look at it, I'll give it a few weeks first. Cheers
-
Towbar advice please
I didn't fit the towbar myself, it is detachable and the place that fitted it didn't say anything about the rear bumper causing problems, like most VAG cars the towbar replaces the bumper iron. I was surprised at the size of the hole they cut under the bumper but it can't be seen, the hitch fits easily but the key on my TowTrust can be a bit fiddly to get in and out, think if it was a Westfalia it would be slightly easier, that said I've had no problems with it and very happy with the final fit.
-
Towbar advice please
Had a TowTrust fitted to my Sportline Estate no problems, around £600 for the full fitting and wiring kit and relevant coding. The only thing I did encounter when buying my Sportline was I was originally looking at a 2.0tdi 190 DSG 4x4 from a dealer and enquired about them fitting a towbar, when they went to get me a price the computer said no and it was a production fit only, any other model, engine, gearbox and drive train yes but that one no, basically had to have it fitted on the production line as the that particular engine, gearbox and drive train configuration, regardless of the model, it would need extra cooling and other upgrades. The dealer was shocked as he'd never come across it before but his head tech guy confirmed it was right. Funnily enough the specialist who fitted my towbar said they could do it as their computers and the like of Witter who they even rang up for advice said it was OK but they did say they had heard of this before with other manufacturers too. In the end I went for a 2wd 190 DSG for the piece of mind after what Skoda had said.
-
Towbar advice please
I had a TowTrust detachable towbar fitted by a local company on my Sportline estate and pretty impressed it with, One note of caution the company used a proper installation kit but also as part of the job the car had some coding done which I would say is very important, when a trailer or caravan is hitched the coding disables the rear sensors and fog light, activates an additional dash light for the caravan indicators, shows a graphic on the infotainment screen of the car hitched up, alters the stability control if you've got it and I've also been told the way the DSG holds on to gears. This might be worth looking in to if you doing it yourself. I'd also be wary about fitting a wiring loom yourself as most modern cars have a 5volt canbuss system running around them and I'm not sure if you have to wire in to that too.
-
Water pump
Unfortunately yes, Got a 2017 2.0 190 Sportline with 35k on it, mine started failing in March, Engine got very hot once and all the warnings came on, booked it in to my local VAG specialist for it to be looked at and noticed before I could take it in that on trips it would got to 100° before cooling to 90°, it was signs of an imminent failure, in the meantime asked on the forum what it could be and the answer came back "water pump failure" which surprised me but sure enough it was. The garage showed me the pump and the heat activated sleeve on the pump that moves to divert the water to aid the engine warming up, this literally gets stuck and the water doesn't go where it needs to go thus the engine overheats. Annoying but my only positive was it would need a cambelt and water pump change in 8 months so just bought that forward a bit. Definitely not a false economy as you wouldn't change a cambelt driven pump without doing the cambelt, rollers and tensioner. And any decent garage wouldn't give the option of changing the pump only as most of the cambelt change job is done just to remove the water pump.
-
Superb overheated when towing but was fine after it cooled down!
Well car back today and it was a failed water pump, so cambelt changed as well, £430 bill, After a bit of negotiating with my warranty company who were not prepared to pay for a cambelt as that wasn't "the faulty part" we settled on a £200 contribution from them towards the pump and half of the labour cost. Quite happy as the cambelt change which would have included the water pump was due in 10 months so got it done a bit early and for £230. Result.
-
Superb overheated when towing but was fine after it cooled down!
To be honest I'll be happy with that, It's a warranty where I can take it to any garage of my choice and then make the claim, I know that's a bit dangerous but it's a possible water pump failure so I'm not leaving it for them to tell me what to do. It's a warranty so I know it's going to be a fight!!
-
Superb overheated when towing but was fine after it cooled down!
My only concern with the warranty, and I already imagine the conversation, it's the water pump at fault not the timing belt and they don't pay for timing belt changes on a warranty!! I can see it coming.
-
Superb overheated when towing but was fine after it cooled down!
The fans were definitely running when we stopped in the caravan storage and quickly cooled it down to 90°, you can't miss the bloody things can you they're that noisy, I just meant I was surprised they didn't run on when I turned the ignition off like when it does a regen. I did a good 8 mile drive towing the caravan, on some good hills after it had cooled back down to 90° and it stayed rock steady at so it sounds to me like it could be this water shroud problem that's been mentioned, I've got a years warranty from when I bought it that runs out in June so gonna book it in to a VAG specialist I use, its due a cambelt change at the start of next year so I was getting ready to pay for a water pump and cambelt change anyway, hopefully I can get the warranty to pay towards it.