no brake lights

03 octavia L/K tdi 110bhp are brake lights stopped working couple of days ago. also the cruise control seems to work some times and not others. the display is telling us to take to work shop, and the glow plug light keep flashing. any one any ideas. I've checked both the fuses both ok. cheers thonks for your help :confused:

As above

Dont take it to the dealers if you are handy

Only approx £7 for the switch

Look for the thread with the new part number in , 1C0 it starts with , just search that 1C0 and you will find it

Maybe even a "How To" thread on this great helpfull forum too

Sarah

If its anything like a VW Golf mk4's then its a complete doddle mate.

I had to do it a few months ago, went to eurocarparts, cost me around a fiver i think, and took about 4 seconds to fit. You just have to remember to keep the brake pedal raised when you do it.

:cool:

If you look underneath your pedals (Its quite awkward) at the top of your brake pedalyou will see a small black box about the size of a box of matches with a plunger coming out of it. That is the switch. You remove it by simply twisting it out of the fitting. Be careful not to break it.

you can buy another one from most local car spares shops ( or try eurocarparts on google..) and then you put it in the same way you took it out.

The only difference with puttin in a new switch is that you have to pull the plunger out fully (being careful again not to break it or pull it off completely) before you fit it. That way, when you release the brake pedal after fitting it, it the brake pedal will push it in as far as it needs to.

Trust me mate, im NO mecanic. and it took me 2 mins to do. You will laugh at yourself afterwards..

Shady Al.

Cancell it and do it yourself

They will charge at least 1 hour for diagnostic and labour

Mmmm £90 ish + VAT , part itself is only cheap

Do it , then take yourself out at the weekend and have a couple of beers on the money you have saved ;)

Sarah

this is a 15 minute job max mate - do not pay a stealer to do it.

Oh and if you get the new green version, the plunger is no longer on a ratcher so you don't have to pull it out or anything - this only applies to the older style.

I got mine from a main dealer - only around £7 or so.

It can either leave you with no brake lights and CC (as happened my first time) or brake lights permanently on (as happened my second time after cleaning it the first time).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi-jack alert!

I have the same problem. No brake lights and flashing glow plug light on a 2001 octy 1.9 elegance.

replaced the brake switch with a new green one today and the problem's still there. No brake lights and flashing glow plug light!!!

have I done something wrong? is there a fuse relating to the brake lights? I've metered the bulbs and they are all ok. what else could it be?

cheers.

Hi-jack alert!

I have the same problem. No brake lights and flashing glow plug light on a 2001 octy 1.9 elegance.

replaced the brake switch with a new green one today and the problem's still there. No brake lights and flashing glow plug light!!!

have I done something wrong? is there a fuse relating to the brake lights? I've metered the bulbs and they are all ok. what else could it be?

cheers.

Are you sure the switch is clicked all the way around, until it is the switch wont go active.

If you look underneath your pedals (Its quite awkward) at the top of your brake pedalyou will see a small black box about the size of a box of matches with a plunger coming out of it. That is the switch. You remove it by simply twisting it out of the fitting. Be careful not to break it.

you can buy another one from most local car spares shops ( or try eurocarparts on google..) and then you put it in the same way you took it out.

The only difference with puttin in a new switch is that you have to pull the plunger out fully (being careful again not to break it or pull it off completely) before you fit it. That way, when you release the brake pedal after fitting it, it the brake pedal will push it in as far as it needs to.

Trust me mate, im NO mecanic. and it took me 2 mins to do. You will laugh at yourself afterwards..

Shady Al.

Not anymore, they have changd the design of the switch, Now looks like this...

1C0945511A.jpg

A lot less arseache. And non genuine ones are crap, see so many fail. Out of five you might get two that are anygood, plus you dont get to find out that the gen ones have been modified.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

Well, I has suffer this problemo in my two Skodas with Automatic Transmision and when that brake switch get damage you CAN´T move the shift from P to D

Here is my long time ago post about this issue and how to fix it temporally in order that you can drive the car to the mechanic:rolleyes:

http://briskoda.net/maintenance-performance/can-not-move-my-shift-p-d/6904/

Isaac