Vauxhall Cavalier 'Track' Car

djgritt

Here is my Vauxhall Cavalier Project

It used to be my daily car, until i completed my apprenticeship and got the new job, and company car...

So a couple of pics of when i got it, and then how i got it and left it for a year

Bought like;

DSCF0040.jpg

Got fed up of the Snowplough very quickly, so turned it into a Cavalier Turbo Replica, and loved it that way;

DSCF0167.jpg

track3.jpg

DSCF0529.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

Then, once the company car was acquired, i decided to turn it into a Track Styled car;

DSCF0701.jpg

DSCF0704.jpg

DSCF0711.jpg

DSCF0716.jpg

DSCF0846.jpg

DSCF0826.jpg

eurofest071.jpg

This was where i left it, until recently, decided to get it ready for this years show season, so have almost finished Trim Stripping/Interior Painting, new Seats/Harnesses;

DSCF1478.jpg

DSCF1479.jpg

DSCF1480.jpg

DSCF1499.jpg

Now i just have some Mechanical issues to deal with, then re-insure/tax...

Cheers for looking :thumbup:

Have I seen this elsewhere.. possibly on another car related site..?

Which engine you got in there?

Looks like you're having fun with it. :)

You possibly have seen it elsewhere - its on a lot of the Vauxhall Forums, and a couple of Generic ones (i think)

It's sporting the Low Output 2.0 16v (X20XEV) - RR'd at a shade under 140bhp with 150lb/ft - it's enough :)

I am having fun with it, will be good to get it back on the road - havent used it since just before christmas :rolleyes:

It's sporting the Low Output 2.0 16v (X20XEV) - RR'd at a shade under 140bhp with 150lb/ft - it's enough :)

Power isn't always everything anyway, a well sorted track car can be much more fun than a tyre shreding bruiser.

In the photo of you going into Quarry at Coomb, there is a green Vectra behind you on the outside of the track.

That's one of the guys who works for me in his SXI!

In the photo of you going into Quarry at Coomb, there is a green Vectra behind you on the outside of the track.

That's one of the guys who works for me in his SXI!

This pic? :confused:

eurofest071.jpg

If so, that Vectra is a Black GSi - it was the Guy who i bought the Cage froms Car at the time... ;)

mmmm V6 - that was somethign i was considering doing to mine this year, but migth wait til winter...

Were you a Cavweb user per chance?

Might have been a long time ago, not much of a poster back then though.

I worked for MSD at the time buidling the Vectra GSi's so need less to say a set of 3.0 cams etc found their way into the engine ;)

Might have been a long time ago, not much of a poster back then though.

I worked for MSD at the time buidling the Vectra GSi's so need less to say a set of 3.0 cams etc found their way into the engine ;)

Awesome :cool:

Everyone keeps blabbing on about whamming an LET into it, to go with the looks, but that would be too much to go wrong IMO, a V6 would be much better - solid and reliable, with one of the best soundtracks available...

Heck of a lot cheaper too, and my F20 box would make it damn fun :D

This pic? :confused:

eurofest071.jpg

If so, that Vectra is a Black GSi - it was the Guy who i bought the Cage froms Car at the time... ;)

I stand corrected then although to me it looks green! The lad in question has a green SXI V plater done up to look like a GTS. He was definately at that track day.

Been looking round for piccys of my Cav SRI (Which I loved dearly) but they all seem to have vanished. All I have left now is one picture of my first major project which I finished in 1996

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2153&g2_serialNumber=3

Awesome :cool:

Everyone keeps blabbing on about whamming an LET into it, to go with the looks, but that would be too much to go wrong IMO, a V6 would be much better - solid and reliable, with one of the best soundtracks available...

Heck of a lot cheaper too, and my F20 box would make it damn fun :D

Thing is the V6 isnt any rocket, lazy to rev its a cruiser rather than a sprinter. F20 would help with this though. Mind you if you go the same route as my mate Pete :)....

DSC00063.jpg

That was a LET turbo but after it dying for the second time he went for something a little different.

Thing is the V6 isnt any rocket, lazy to rev its a cruiser rather than a sprinter. F20 would help with this though. Mind you if you go the same route as my mate Pete :)....

DSC00063.jpg

That was a LET turbo but after it dying for the second time he went for something a little different.

I've seen that a few times now - its smart - still running the 4x4 gear IIRC? :confused::cool:

The green cav is a few cars back on the corner as opposed to the black one directly behind him?

Yep, thats a Mate's V6 stripped out Hatchback - And it's not a V-Reg Vectra SXi :P

The green cav is a few cars back on the corner as opposed to the black one directly behind him?

Yeah but I thought the Vectra on the outside was green and it was my mates. He was at the meet with the club.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a Parcel arrive this week - few bits to get it going again...

An Alternator

These Mirror Covers (Not needed, but will help it look a little tidier - mine are all blistered etc)

DSCF1632.jpg

And the main item - a Cylinder Head - complete with Valves, Cams etc

DSCF1633.jpg

The head is to be skimmed, cleaned up, and have the Inlet/Exhaust Ports Polished, as well as the combustion chambers

Unfortunately, one of the Pulleys got obliterated in the Post (you can make it out in the pic - the rearmost one), so i'll need to fit one from the Engine that's in the car - luckily, that's nothing major!

Then its a case of fitting it all - and it SHOULD be all good to go :D

• 1 month later...

Like the car!

I am in the process of looking for an cav GSI to use as a track car. (Wanting the GSI for the independent rear suspension)

Wouldn’t the C20XE engine be a better base than the C20XEV. As the XE has over 150BHP out of the box.

Like the car!

I am in the process of looking for an cav GSI to use as a track car. (Wanting the GSI for the independent rear suspension)

Wouldn’t the C20XE engine be a better base than the C20XEV. As the XE has over 150BHP out of the box.

The C20XE would be a better idea, if you are too scared of a challenge ;)

Besides, my X20XEV pushes out more torque than an XE, and is just as capable - its just harder to extract more from them, well, unless you have a larger budget :rofl:

Plus, why be a sheep? :P

Little Update

Currently in the process of Fettling the head;

This is how it was when i started - note the Pulley that was bust due to poor handling by the postal services...

DSCF1679.jpg

Firstly i removed the Camshafts, and took the Pulleys off, then found that the other had also been damaged beyond repair - oh well, good i have spares that i can rob (the ones on the head in the Car) - this is the state they are in - definitely going in the Bin - also, i polished up the Camshaft Lobes to get the surface rust off, and get them nice and smooth again

DSCF1680.jpg

DSCF1682.jpg

I then Polished the faces of the Top of the Head (including the Follower Heads etc), and the Inlet & Exhaust Manifold Ports, i was going to attempt to Port/Polish them, but there doesnt look like much meat that can be removed, so may just leave it (or send it someone who knows exactly what they are doing!) - heres how nice i got the Inlet side looking though;

DSCF1681.jpg

I also polished as much of the External faces as i could too, here is the EGR side of the Head as an example;

DSCF1683.jpg

Then i made a start at cleaning up the Bottom face of the head, and also polishing the Combustion Chamber Tops - Here is how i left it;

DSCF1684.jpg

I then noticed how pitted and rough the Casting was, so made an attempt at properly Polishing/Smoothing the Chamber/Valve Faces - a comparison;

Pitted;

DSCF1687.jpg

Smoothed;

DSCF1688.jpg

Still in progress, work commitments slowing me down :(

Oh, and thats a real sheet of Carbon Fibre that im using as a worktop... haha