Thinking of getting an Octavia II

Our old Octavia I is fast waering out having given us coming up for 2 yrs service. We're considering replacing her later in the year with an early (04/05) mk2. I've been having a half hearted browse on the interweb at other makes/models that might fit the bill & might have a little look at Passats when the time comes... Any other suggestions, or should I just go with my initial thoughts and go for another Octavia? Gotta be an estate & I'm quite happy with the whole diesel thing.

Probably the main reason the old Octavia is going to have to go in the not too distant future is I still haven't got the electrical probs I posted about ages ago sorted! She's starting to get a bit frayed at the seams in other ways too...

Honda looks nice but the boot's too small, I fear! Some 200 litres smaller than an Octy according to the specs! I need to get a pushchair and a Labrador in there pretty regularly...

On that front, I believe the Mondeo is more than capable but... Call me odd, but I love driving something a little out of the ordinary. I'm sure there are a few that'd agree but I actually enjoy the looks if incredulity when I say I drive a Skoda. :rofl:

BTW, what would everyone recommend as far as specific model is concerned? I'm a bit concerned about the recent thread about the dual mass flywheels... Apart from that, tramsmission type doesn't particularly bother me, especially as the auto is DSG.

I traded my 90bhp Octy1 in for an Octy2 last year. I did the usual comparisons between various makes and models, ie Mondeo, Avensis, Passat & Mazda 6. Price, running costs, pence per mile, Insurance, tax, service cost Warranty etc. In the end for me it made no economical sense to move away from Skoda. I bought the 105 bhp Ambiente estate after 14 months & 32,000 miles the Octy2 still makes perfect sense.

I don't think you can beat the Mk II for the money.

Indeed.

Price up a Ghia Mondy against an L&K for example and check the stuff you get.

When I loaded up my Elegance last year, many marques would have come in around £25k for the same spec. Octy was £17.5k :cool:

Right, won't waste any more time thinking of alternatives then. Will keep the Octy 1 through the summer, then start looking for a mk II that's been nicely run in for me... ;)

Am thinking I'll be wanting at least an Elegance (The mk 1 is a GLX.) TDi. A blue one would be nice, I think... :cool:(Anyone thinking of selling anything like that in a few months, put me in the diary...) :rofl:

Indeed.

Price up a Ghia Mondy against an L&K for example and check the stuff you get.

When I loaded up my Elegance last year, many marques would have come in around £25k for the same spec. Octy was £17.5k :cool:

But second hand , the mondeos can be noticably cheaper even when comparing like for like kit

Yep, Alex makes a good point - the residuals on the Mondeo are shocking - you can pick up an 07 Mondeo Titanium X 2.2TDCI (155bhp) with all the goodies including climate controlled seats :eek: for £11k :eek:

If your current Octy is a diesel other than the PD130 and you are pleased with the performance, I'd recommend the 1.9TDI (105) on grounds of reliability and economy... and that engine is also more suited to the DSG box. :)

I'll certainly have a look at a Mondeo if I happen to see one at the time...

As for performance, before the Octy, I was driving a Citroen ZX estate with the 1.9D engine so I thought it was amazing initially. It still feels adequate so I think a 1.9 TDI with a few more horses than the current one would be fine!

Just come out of an 06 Passat which was heavily specced, thought I would regret it, but love my TDI vRS, don't miss the toys on the Passat, the Passat wasa good solid reliable car, boring! But good. Skoda is just all the Passat was, and more! but for less £££'s!