Driving the Estelle and the Fabia

I have been with Skoda for 13 years now - was given my 105 Lux in March 1995 (my first car) by an elderly neighbour. It has proved a good and has been economical to run. I used to think that if it ever broke or was written off I would replace it with a Favorit or Felicia, but it is not wearing out or failing - 20+ years old and still fine. It will probably last me 20 or so years yet:).

Now, I could never part with such a loyal car, but I was wondering if the Fabia was different enough from the Estelle 105 to work along side it or supplement it. Not that I am bored with the 105 - I am just interested if the Fabia could offer something fresh to my Skoda motoring...

I enjoy touring around the UK and using the winding B roads that offer an exciting drive - my 105 is a bit out of it's depth on the motorway perhaps. I am sometimes on my own, or sometimes the car is 3-up, so the engine needs to be good. I will be honest and say that I have only driven the Estelle range - apart from trying a loan Yugo 44 for two days, so I don't have any experience of cars from the 90's or 00's apart from seeing them about every day.

I did go to a Skoda showroom once in 1997 to ask about perhaps buying a new car and trying a test drive, but the salesman said 'no' to a test drive as he said my 105 was running well so why do I need a new car? 11 years have now pased since that day and I am still interested in the Skoda range, but need to be sure of my ground (and facts) before going back. Sorry for rambling, but if you can briefly sum up the Fabia as compared to the Estelle I would very much appreciate it.

How is the visibility? How is the build quality? Can I service the car myself - like gearbox oil change, coolant flush and brake pad / shoe change? Is the engine willing? Is the steering good?

I have read the online reviews and comments, but I have not found any comparing the Fabia to the Estelle.

Thank you for any input, Ian

Perhaps you can post a picture of the 'estter'. I used to drive a Skoda couope the model before yours and thinking back it might be difficult to list the vast improvemnts. I also drove a Yugo for a couple of years as a second car and it was the most uninspired car I have ever had but not once did iy let us down. I feel one of the big differences would be performance as you state the Fabia is well able to deal with motorway travel. If I was you I would carry on as you are and contact Skoda to see if they would like to do a feature on you and your car.

Cheers. So it is performance mainly then? I realise that I am a bit out of touch with the present range, which is a shame, as Skoda are doing really well with customer satisfaction and ratings nowadays. Here is my present car - taken at the MOT station around a month ago. Straight pass as usual:).

7151110-md.jpg

7151111-md.jpg

On the technical side of things, what is the rust resistance like of the Fabia? Is a catalytic converter fitted, and if so, how do they last in use - 2 years? I value the good steering on my 105 - does the engine being moved to the front have a negative impact on steering feel?

Sorry for all the questions - just a keen Skoda driver wanting to learn!:)

Ian

That car looks sound mate. Looks like a lot of love and care has gone into that one! Good effort!

As far as the new fabia is concerned. It will be night and day between the estelle in nearly every department - it is a superb vehicle. But servicing it oneself is not easy, sure basic things can be done and more complex aspects if you are automobile trained. But you nearly always need a laptop nowadays for complex servicing. The handbook even says that you should not even attempt to change the battery yourself.:rofl:

Mark

Thanks for the comments and compliments.:D

"The handbook even says that you should not even attempt to change the battery yourself"

Is this in case the radio presets are lost?

Ian

Quite amazing to find someone who has never driven a recent car so to speak! That Estelle is in a lovely condition, are you are member of Skoda Owners Club? Im sure DaveRapid would love you to be a member if you are not already, and the sight of that car would indeed make him very happy!

You really need to test drive a Fabia to see how it feels to drive etc. One thing about modern cars is that they are better rustproofed, with body underseal and use of plastics.

Much as I love rear engined Skodas, after having owned lots in the past and progressing through Favorits and Felicias etc, I have to admit that although they are fun to drive etc, I found my rear engined Skodas didn't have the pace or space or 'modern' handling that the Favorits and Felicias that replaced them.

Like I say, although fun to drive, rear engined Skodas are very old fashioned to drive compared with todays Skodas, and a new Fabia is obviously better in all departments.

I've noticed major jumps in quality etc in all the Skodas Ive been in/driven/owned etc.The felicia is better to drive than a Favorit, the Fabia is better than a Felicia etc and so on.

If i were you, I would keep the Estelle and use it as and when the mood arises, but have a new Fabia or newer FWD Skoda for longer distance motoring etc.That way, your Estelle stays as beautiful in 20 years time as it is today.

Thank you for the input.

Well, I saw DaveRapid for the first time a few weeks back - he sorted my dropped liners in a very professional way - the car was transformed after his sterling efforts. Yes - I will be joining the S.O.C. - sorting that out with Dave:thumbup:.

I am quite interested in the prospect of maybe owning a different Skoda - but am having serious 'showroom butterflies' - I get the feeling that I may be taken for a ride in more ways than one, but I will at least try. Perhaps a gently used Skoda will be a good idea...

OK, couple more questions. Can you see the front of the bonet in your fabia (I am 5' 11"), and is it easy to park?

I have searched for this one but cannot find the answer - are the brakes servo assisted on all Fabia models? Don't want to sound a wuss:O, but I think this is a valuable feature.

Are electric windows mandatory? I prefer normal wind up types if possible.

And lastly, what is a reccomended model that is well recieved? The petrol or diesel engine? Is the VRS a sound purchace?

Hey - just tell me anything - I am REALY behind in the Skoda world:O, even though I use a Skoda nearly every day.

Ian

If you go for a low mileage well looked after used model, the Classic has 'keep fit' windows:)

The 1.9SDi has the slowest acceleration of all fabias, 18+ seconds i believe:eek:, so there has been no great strides there in performance terms, but economy is good.

I suppose for your needs, a 1.4 TDi may be the best compromise, either used or new.

All Skodas now have ABS brakes, Power Steering etc.Airbags etc.

If you go for a new Fabia 1.2 base model 1, try to get it for £7200 with met paint and a few extras like mudflaps,mats etc thrown in.If used, always knock a dealer down at least 10-15% of the screen price.Walk away if they reject your offer, Im sure they will call you back:thumbup:

Hope this helps, and every time I see that Estelle of yours I get a green tinge of jealousy:D

I was drawn to the uestion regarding the bonnet / front of the car visability. You can see the bonnet top but you have to allow for half a foot of hidden overhang to park safely. To be fair this is a common problem with current cars that has to do with appearance and the NCAP minimisation of pesestrain injuries issues. At your height it will be no problem for peeps about 5'5'' or less even with seat adjustment it may be a challenge to work out where exactly the front of your is. in relation to the object in front.

Any trepedation at the dealers can be dealt with by making it clear from the outset that you are not going to pay the price advertised and you want a price reduction as a matter of course.

Any trepedation at the dealers can be dealt with by making it clear from the outset that you are not going to pay the price advertised and you want a price reduction as a matter of course.

Agree, I did mine this way.

Dealer 1 - test drive and best offer on car, best part ex offer

Dealer 2 - for test drive, mention you already have an offer and see what they can do, odds on they will improve upon it.

Dealer 3 - Ring up first, say you are going to buy a fabia, you don't need to test drive you're just looking for a deal befgore you make your mind up. Tell them your best offer, slip in which sales man you dealt with so they know you're not winding them up. Say unless they can beat it it's not worth driving over.

I got a deal and car I was happy with at dealer three, but there's no reason that you can't extend this.

If you want you can play 'dutch auction' and go back to dealer one to see if they can improve their offer.

All's fair in business. Don't forget that however nice they are, all companies exist to make money from you.

Agree JSJ and much of this can be achieved from the comfort of your armchair as you say. Autotrader on line gives a very keen price guide and reveals sometimes dealers having a car for longer than they would wish. As an incentive I would give you £500.00 for the Estelle. Look what you have achieved already, yes five hundred I am a fool to myself.

Thank you for the insightful comments.

Well, I think a lightly used car would suit me best - 10,000 miles tops and a FSH.

I was looking at Autotrader just today actually. Is buying a car from there a good idea or is it best avoided? Some keen prices there, but I suppose face to face with a human is always a better bet and ask for a test drive :auto:.

Ian

Tailhappy, lovely car you have there,

Where in the South East are you?

If you go along to Dutton Forshaw Skoda in Maidstone and ask for Dean he is a member on here "woodernspatulars" I'm sure he will help you.

Thank you again for the compliments and advice. I am in Hertfordshire, but I can call Maidstone and have a chat - got to start somewhere in my search.

Concerning my 105, I just wish they made a car like it today, but with all the latest advancements fitted. I don't mind mind manual windows and no central locking, but I could get used to them I suppose:rolleyes:. Capitalist decadence indeed:D!

Ian

Thank you again for the compliments and advice. I am in Hertfordshire, but I can call Maidstone and have a chat - got to start somewhere in my search.

Concerning my 105, I just wish they made a car like it today, but with all the latest advancements fitted. I don't mind mind manual windows and no central locking, but I could get used to them I suppose:rolleyes:. Capitalist decadence indeed:D!

Ian

I would echo the comments from others, your car is in excellent condition - congratulations.

I'm also quite sure that it would fetch a decent price from an enthusiast, so don't be in a hurry to offload her.

One point to consider though, is that the safety features on your car are woeful compared to any modern vehicle.

:)I did a fairly extensive engine repair on this Estelle a few weeks ago....the car really is a credit to the owner and to Skoda. Remember it is now 21 years old! If it were mine it would never be for sale at any price!

Regarding comparisons between and Estelle and a Fabia...there really is no contest. The Fabia is by far the better car of the two by some considerable margin. It will do everything better, simple as that.

However, out of the two I personally would pick the Estelle, but that is purely a decision of the heart, definately not the sensible choice. Incedentially if you like the quirkiness of the Estelle but require better cruising ability and handling it's worth trying a 130/136 model....they have more power, 5 speed gearbox and the more user friendly semi-trailing arm rear suspension.

My personal opinion regarding you Tailhappy is that a modern Fabia, good as it is, isn't really the car for you. I feel that you are not really wanting power assisted this, electric that ect, but would like a more up to date package than the Estelle for daily use with the added option of being able to do a bit of DIY tinkering as and when necessary. If that is a fair summary of your needs [please tell me if I'm right or wrong] then in my opinion you would be better of with a Favorit or Felicia.

I'm definately not knocking the Fabia by the way, it really is a fantastic car in both Mk1 and Mk2 forms. :cool:

:)Just to clarify, the Skoda Owners' Club is for owners and enthusiasts of Skodas OLD AND NEW! So many people think we only cater for RWD Skodas, and also think we are trying to compete with Briskoda...both are myths and totally untrue!:thumbup:

Firstly, my 105 will not be for sale (or p/x) - if another car is bought, it will work alongside the 105 - taking turns as needs dictate. In fact I have just come back from a ride in my 105 and the airy cabin, comfy upholstery and the sweet and willing engine made the journey a real pleasure. Yes, it may have only been doing 60, but the journey felt no slower for that - funny how rushed journeys almost always feel longer...

Dave - you are right. I don't need or want power assisted anything (in fact I worry about malfunction of such complex systems), and I value doing my own work as I can maintain the mechanicals to a high standard and use only the best oils and parts. But I am interested in adding a newer Skoda for the following reaons.

1. The other week when it was very hot, I had my (95 years old) Grandmother in the car. There was a jam, and she slumped forward in the seat in a bad way:(. I could have done with air con then.

2. We holiday in Devon, and there are some real killer hills there - Yarcombe, Axminster bypass, Wilmington, Honiton and out of Lyme Regis. I kind of hoped some (diesel?) engine may push up those hills a bit better with the car laden, but then I cannot say for sure. Anyone in Devon tried those hilld in a different Skoda? I sometimes use my Mum's 130 LSE, but those steep hils with three in the car soon sap the fuel and speed. A hatchback may prove useful too - they look handy.

So, that is why I am asking here - just to see if a different Skoda model may be good for the times when different skills are required. A Fabia VRS drove past me the other day with a flash and a wave - it looked really nice in red and it re-ignited my interest in the Skodas of today. May not be the car for me - but it did look good in red!:cool:

Thanks for the help so far.

Ian

I test drove a new Fabia at the weekend and they are quite different to the Felicia 1.6 I have at the moment! I have never driven the Estelle, though my parents have had three, and I have had a Favorit and 3 Felicia's.

My impression of the new Fabia was good, I found the diesel version a bit puny compared the 1.6 Felicia. The driving style feels like your in a large car, and its very quiet. I found I knocked my hand on one part of the dash when changing gear, which was a bit annoying, other than that though it was a very good car.

If your Estelle is going well, and it looks lovely, I would hold onto it. The only reason I am changing my Felicia is because I spent £1000 on it last year, and still some things aren't spot on - and I want something a bit newer.

As for the Skoda Owners Club, they are a great bunch - I met a number of them at the weekend at Cosford and they were all very friendly.

Thanks Richard. I was looking at some Felicias, but all of them seemed to have been scrimped on the service and the interior was a bit rough on all of them. I feel that just because a car is used it does not need to be tatty - why do owners not clean stains off the seat as and when they happen? Sadly, they almost seem to be in the 'banger' league now. I am sure there are some real gems out there, but the owners are wisely hanging onto them.

I will be looking at a Fabia tomorrow - may be good - a test drive will tell:).

Cheers, Ian

You could always try getting a cheap Felicia and doing a restore job on one of them? I have always found them very easy to work on and parts are usually reasonably priced.

Do let us know how you get on with your test drive. I must admit I am very tempted by a new Fabia to the point where I might cancel my request for a second hand Octavia I have been after for a bit. :S I am not sure what to do - especially with 0%apr at the moment its very tempting!