Terminating the bank

The Coop bank have had their last chance. For years they have been the very symbol of good service, and then for the last six months they've been a nightmare. I got a letter saying "Oops, we forgot the overdraft charges on your last statement, here's a bill for

Not worth the hassle m8, just swap and be done with it. You could of course, send them a letter of complaint to their customer service department, it may help.

Having spoke to the wife (works for a certain bank -not COOP-in a relevant department) and she confirms that statements may show credit when cheques uncleared will take you over , However as for the "forgotten" charge, she says sticky one, and probably something they would swallow as more their fault not yours.

Spent 20 minutes on hold - the last time I spent so long on hold I was calling NTHell. They told me they weren't going to compensate me, and also that it was perfectly normal for a statement to show an account in credit, despite the cheque that's making it show in credit not having cleared.

Kick up a fuss when you phone them up. Say that you're not going to hang up until they have delivered satisfactory customer satisfaction, and try and escalate it through their managers, etc. while on the line. If they say "oh, he's not available yet, can I get him to call you back" then definitely *don't* - say you'll wait... ;)

Most banks have a policy of allowing cashiers to "pay off" unhappy customers with a certain amount.

I remember the days of service when banks phoned you and told you that your account was due to go overdrawn, so that you could nip down there and bung some cash in if needs be. Now making money off charges seems to be more important than happy customers... :rolleyes:

Rob.

Halifax lost my trade 7 years back when they decided that, as a Student type, i didn't fit their desired customer image and they stopped paying any interest on my account.at all......

OK I was no Donald Trump, but a few pence is a few pence.....

HSBC man ever since. I've never had any problems. Convinced the parents to ditch Natwest too (useless bunch of baboons)....

Mum's had the "oooh, you went overdrawn, here's a charge" of around

do everything by post, its less stressful, quicker and they have to give you a proper response. phoning is pointless. you should try the "i didn't realise, long standing customer, guesture of goodwill" approach.

2ndly all high street banks are as bad. the only way out, if you have the means, is to go to a private bank.

I've found two banks who are not too bad:

1. Virgin One, which is only useful if you want a mortgage through them -but they're still good.

2. First Direct -they're part of HSBC, but they still believe in talking to you. They have a policy of making sure that the phone is answered by a human being -in the UK!

just my 10p-worth

Phil

Don't whatever you do go to the Halifax I'm in the throws of ditching them at the mo. I'm actually with the Bank of Scotland but since they merged with the Halifax they've become the biggest set of ******s on the planet. Everytime I go to my local branch to make a transaction I get a snotty nosed young slapper asking me "can I just tell you about our special offers on Mortages today Mr ....? Every 'king week without fail. Its like being in Macdonalds and being asked if you want fries with that. But thats only the tip of the iceberg. Don't do it........

First Direct are fantastic- excellent customer service.

I'm with Abbey for my own account and RBS for the joint- Abbey are good, but if I have any problems I ring my branch manager and she sorts them straight out. She's given me her home and mobile numbers, and often pops round for tea. She even got me a birthday present.

Before you start wondering how good is this service- she's also my sister.

RBS are ok but very sales-driven- every time we have called them about something basic they have tried to sell us a loan/ mortgage/ overdraft at 14.9% APR. Service not that great either to be fair.

We use First Direct for our day to day banking and Barclays to transfer money instantly into other Barclays accounts (kids). FD are excellent and their Internet Banking Plus facility which allows us to see and operate both bank accounts plus an A&L VISA card, all from the same login, is brilliant.

Don't whatever you do go to the Halifax I'm in the throws of ditching them at the mo. I'm actually with the Bank of Scotland but since they merged with the Halifax they've become the biggest set of ******s on the planet. Everytime I go to my local branch to make a transaction I get a snotty nosed young slapper asking me "can I just tell you about our special offers on Mortages today Mr ....? Every 'king week without fail. Its like being in Macdonalds and being asked if you want fries with that. But thats only the tip of the iceberg. Don't do it........

Being with the Bank of Scotland while living in England is no fun. Assumed (idiot that I am) that I could pay a cheque into the Halifax.

Nope, no can do. But there's a bank of scotland round the corner.

Nope, there is a ROYAL bank of scotland round the corner, and no they are not the same thing, you should know you work for the f'in bank.

:mad:

Nope, there is a ROYAL bank of scotland round the corner, and no they are not the same thing, you should know you work for the f'in bank.

And RBOS took over Natwest...this is particularly evident in that online banking looks exactly the same with a difference colour scheme for each, and the letters they send out are exactly the same except for the letterhead.

But can you pay a cheque for one in the other? Can you b****r... :rolleyes::mad:

Rob.

And RBOS took over Natwest...this is particularly evident in that online banking looks exactly the same with a difference colour scheme for each' date=' and the letters they send out are exactly the same except for the letterhead.

But can you pay a cheque for one in the other? Can you b****r... :rolleyes::mad:

Rob.[/quote']

Almost exactly the same at the front end. Completly different at the back end.

I was on the testing team at RBS in Edinburgh. :sofahide: