Jim Clark Rally 2008

The Skoda WRC finished 2nd to Andy Kynaston's Audi S3 Quattro in the National Rally. Fenwick is also doing the Reivers Rally Today and is currently 2nd to our local star David Bogie.

For those of you that don't know the Jim Clark rally consists of 4 (I think) rallies run over a weekend on closed roads in the Scottish Borders. It's the only closed public road event on the UK MAINLAND.

I went up on Friday night, marshalled on the Eyemouth stages. Everything was going great until Guy Wilkes's Evo caught fire and the stage was cancelled.

The second stage ran in the afternoon though.

Absolutely Awesome, thats the only words to describe it.

First time i've been up to this event, seen plenty of gravel stage rallies and road rallies but never a closed road rally.

Where we were marshalling on Saturday, we were talking to someone and they reckoned the cars were pushing 130+ on a single track road, not much wider than the cars, with yumps at either end of the straight. Unbelievable!

Spectated yesterday and the Reivers rally was just as entertaining, if not better than the internationals.

I was parked next to a Black Furby VRS while marshalling at Eyemouth, anyone on here?

I tried to catch the speed of them with my phone.

th_MOV00035.jpg

I didn't realise the JCR was on so early this year.

It's normally June/July is it not.

A few mates went and said it was a good weekend.

Always used to try and make the reivers, but i'll have to wait till next year now.

Rall was moved to May last year I usually marshal but got needless abuse from some( a minority) idiot spectators last year so no longer thought it worth the grief going over at my own expense.

Ill post some pics of the Skoda when i get around to uploading them to flickr.

Some pictures of Guy Wilkes Evo 9 after it burnt out in a fire.

2521071067_c4873ed582.jpg

2521831600_6402fec3dc.jpg

More pics can be seen here Jim Clark Rally 2008 - a set on Flickr

All that thanks to the environmentalists I believe.

Halon fire extinguishers that used to work were banned because they harmed the planet and the new planet friendly ones are allegedly crap.

His diff went off the start line and i think the flailing prop shaft did the fuel tank in. The recovery struggled to get anywhere near the car to use a fire extinguisher on it, only the fire brigade could do anyhting really.

Halon rules, i still have one in the boot of the car.

A car sized Halon extinguisher is not going to kill several gallons of fuel fire.

What might is several gallons of suitable foam, but the environ %20 mentalists don't like that either.