1.8TSI vs 1.9TDI

Which would you choose ??

And can someone tell me what is it like to drive the 1.8TSI Octavia . . .

And how much does it drink, max speed and 0-100 time . . .

I can't comment on the 1.8TSi as I've not driven one, but seeing as it's got 160bhp compared to the 1.9TDi's 105bhp, I think a fairer comparison would be between the 2.0TDi and the 1.8TSi. I would imagine they have fairly similar performance figures.

Yes, but 2.0TDI is to expensive . . .

We could only buy 1.8 liftback ( + alot of equipment ) or 1.9 combi ( same as the liftback ) . . .

Which would you choose ??

And can someone tell me what is it like to drive the 1.8TSI Octavia . . .

And how much does it drink, max speed and 0-100 time . . .

It doesn't matter which we would choose - which one do you like the most ? Test drive them both (they are very different driving experiences), then look at the total cost of ownership (fuel costs, servicing, rego, road tax, insurance, depreciation etc).

Test drive them both (they are very different driving experiences)

Mum tested both, I tested 1.8TSI - 1.8 is a real blast, mum says she's OK with both as long as they don't give us trouble . . .

then look at the total cost of ownership (fuel costs, servicing, rego, road tax, insurance, depreciation etc).

I'm going to do that . . .

BTW, 1.8 and 1.9 are in the same insurance, road tax and reg costs . . .

I have a Mk II1.8 TSI having come from a Mk I1.9TDI ( 110bhp). So far no regrets.Pleasant surprise about the insurance being same group with close to 50% more BHP !. The petrol engine is much more refined and the acceleration is more progressive. Sounds better too !. Cant comment on the MkII PD engine but think the 105bhp models are only 5 speed box if thats important to you.

I intend to keep the car for 100k miles plus and the fact it is a timing chain rather than timing belt was a factor as I am hoping for slightly lower servicing costs over its life.

:)

Economy aside, I just prefer the way a diesel drives. Less gear changing, for one thing, and a easier drive - my preference, that's all.

The majority of modern Turbo Petrol engine's now have the same characteristics - I went from a TDI to a TFSI and it has the same low down pull

• 3 weeks later...

Is KJB correct in saying the 1.8 comes with a chain as opposed to a belt? I thought it was mentioned elsewhere that ALL octy II's were belted as opposed to chained when it came to timing?

Yes, the 1.8 TFSI (or TSI) CCTA petrol motor has a timing chain, not a belt. The new 2.0 (petrol) version of this motor also has a chain. It is quite a different motor to the current BWA (BPY) 2.0 TFSI.

VW have started putting the new 2.0 motor into USA delivered Golf GTIs, so it probably won't be too long before they start putting it into petrol vRS's too.

I would take without doubt the 1,8 TSI (TFSI) same torque as 1,9 TDI but more HP, and being turbo engine will be fun to drive, anyway I prefer the petrol version, and the modern petrol engines are not as thirsty as they were before even without turbo, but turbo adds less consumption and increases the pleasure of driving.

That's pretty pants!

Anyway, back to the timing chain: what's the changing intervals/maintanance on that then, compared to a belt? I'm used to a 60,000 mile change on my MkII golf, but i've never had a chain. Any downsides??

• 1 month later...

Um my first post on this forum so be gentle please...

I'd say that chains are superior to belt driven... BMW favours chains over belts and the BMW motors are legendary. Having stuffed around with a few belt driven Toyota motors (4AGE's, 4AGZE's) I'd have to say chains are more likely to support higher horsepower, provided the standard of manufacture holds up.

Oh and being a new owner of a 1.8TSI 5spd manual Octavia Wagon. I'd have to say that these are a very refined yet cheeky motor. It's the kind of motor my missus can tootle to the shops and Uni with, yet when driven hard this thing pulls harder and longer than a 16 year old teenage boy who has just discovered what his 'little mate' is for... :)

We get around 8.6L/100kms using premium ULP.

Edited by Chuditch