Coming soon, the greatest Favorit project ever! (Probably)

favguy

I'd love to bring it to a meet, logistics is the problem though due to its current low range :(

@ Yossarian G, OK, I'm a luddite with some technologies lol!! ;)

• Like 1

I'd love to bring it to a meet, logistics is the problem though due to its current low range :(

Yes, you might have a problem getting to Gaydon and back.... Anyone able to offer a trailer?

Such a good professional install, looks factory finish fit and quality!

Absolutely amazing what people can achieve given a bit of patience and some careful thought :)

Fantastic car. This would go down a treat at the National meet.

Do you have any way of towing it?

How far from the Humber Bridge are you? Having a meet nearer you might make an interesting diversion from the meet in Melton we've started recently. It'd be worth it to see the car.

This amazing project needs to make it to Gaydon meet, please some kind soul with a trailer do the honourable thing and bring it down lol

Bit of a long shot but fire off an email to Skoda uk and Skoda cz linking this thread, appeal to their Skoda loving nature and ask if they could make a lift happen....you never know, it might just work.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad to see you're still around. I think most of us thought you'd disappeared. Looking forward to an update.

Wow. Can't wait to see it.

That's an impressive range. More than you get from a nissan leaf!

Your work is comendable. I think when it's done you should get Rob to write a piece in the Skoda magazine about it.

Phil

Thanks, The Leaf runs 48 modules and is really heavy at about 1500Kg, I'm running 51 with an expected finished weight of about 1050Kg, The Leaf has better Aero. than I will, no doubt slightly better efficiency, but all things considered, I should beat the leaf range by around 30% - 40% :happy:

Would love a write up in the Skoda magazine (didn't know there was one!)

• 1 month later...

@ Yossarian G,

Not at the minute ;) I do quite like the thought of doing a long range high powered AC EV version of the Rover 75, but funds and time won't permit it at present... When funds do permit, I'll probably be tempted to buy a used Model S Tesla instead though!, we'll just have to wait and see...

As for updates on the battery upgrade, I've been waiting on parts delivery in order to finish the mid and front battery installs, most bits are in now, just waiting for something from US, expected early to mid next week, then should have it finished by the weekend coming :)

• Like 1

Time for a little update on my slow progress of the battery upgrade. I've been waiting patiently for some parts to arrive from the US and from a useless sheet plastics company here in the UK that I won't be using anymore!. Anyway, I've now finished the rear and mid installs, except the monitoring cables, (which I'll do later once it's all finished).

I've had yet another change of mind on how I'm doing the front battery install, so have ordered a batch of aluminium cut to size. I was going to use polycarbonate, but it's just too flexible to clamp the modules in place without going to a very thick wall size. I think the end result will be nice now though, it's a combination of Aluminium for the sides of the batteries and Polycarb. for the end and top covers.

I've had a bit of dumb luck with the battery box sizing really. The boxes were initially made to accommodate 160Ah Thunderskys, (The Japanese Leaf/Renault cells didn't exist back in the day when I made up the boxes back in 2008!) but the boxes have worked out perfectly to accommodate a total of 54 of the new modules.

I also got a chance to make up the box cover for the rear set, (carpeted 9mm ply) In the end I've actually only sacrificed a total of 150mm (6 Inches) from the luggage compartment depth.

A few pictures...

SDC13623_zpse3d5a70b.jpg

batt_zps92048dff.jpg

SDC13638_zps14f2db18.jpg

SDC13634_zps2e9d373b.jpg

SDC13612_zpse12d10a3.jpg

SDC13645_zpsd82e8186.jpg

SDC13651_zps75d5a772.jpg

Back soon...

PS... I need to change the silver battery box lid fixings to black, or paint them!

Edited by favguy
  • Like 4