Colour coded grill surround... at last

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used some trim tape from the local bodyshop to get the bottom fin area to adhere, works well..

Glad you guys like it. I love it, it's like having a new car outside now.

SWMBO thinks I'm mad (quote "yes, it's blue that's nice"), but that's normal.

By the way, has anyone else who has colour colded their grill surround had problems getting the surround to adhere back to the grill at the bottom where it is held in place with sticky pads? It may be that I have used rubbish sticky pads but it doesn't fit as well as it once did.

Didn't have any issues with mine, the feeble couple of clips on the low edge seem to be doing the job with no need of sticky tape :thumbup:

what is the grill part number? im gonna see if i can get one, i feel a weekend project coming on ;)

Courtesy of Stu from my thread wanting the P/No;

1Z0 853 661 739 - Chrome Grille Surround

It retails a smidge under £50 (Inc. VAT) too if you were wondering :thumbup:

hmmm, im sure someone said on a similar thread it was about £20.. better see if my parts contact can give me a good discount.

its about £20 for the innner plastic grille, the outer chrome is the dearer one as above

no probs i have someone on the case who also is looking to get some parts for his car sprayed, funnily enough the same colour i want the grill :thumbup: so hopefully this grill will be a bargain.

Hi,

I am taking delivery of a black vrs tdi on 1st july to replece a silver 07 one.:confused:

I would like to do the grill but seek advice - what type of paint finish do you recommend??:eek:

Hi,

I would like to do the grill but seek advice - what type of paint finish do you recommend??:eek:

:confused: - standard Black Magic Pearl of course. :thumbup: Nice and shiny naturally.

i still reckon a group buy as it cost more to set up and clean the spraying equipment than it does to spray it. therefore if enough interest is generated perhaps we could get the grills and sprayed at fraction of the price... just my 2 pence worth.

Hi,

I am taking delivery of a black vrs tdi on 1st july to replece a silver 07 one.:confused:

The same as the rest of the car :rolleyes:

Alright, I've kept quiet until now (was just making sure the paint would stay on!) but this is what I did. It's really not that hard to paint it yourself...

Colour coding the grill surround - VWwatercooled Australia

So far, so good, no chipping etc., although I still have half a can of paint left (and a wad of cash in my pocket compared to paying someone else to do it) should the need ever arise.

Obviously you folks on the other side of the planet get Skoda parts a bit cheaper than we do here in Aus, so ignore the advice on getting stuff off Ebay.

Alright, I've kept quiet until now (was just making sure the paint would stay on!) but this is what I did. It's really not that hard to paint it yourself...

Colour coding the grill surround - VWwatercooled Australia

So far, so good, no chipping etc., although I still have half a can of paint left (and a wad of cash in my pocket compared to paying someone else to do it) should the need ever arise.

Obviously you folks on the other side of the planet get Skoda parts a bit cheaper than we do here in Aus, so ignore the advice on getting stuff off Ebay.

Top notch method and results; well done. :thumbup:

By the way; the silver/chrome roof bars look excellent set against Black Magic paint. ;)

The silver roof rails are actually standard on all vRS's sold in Australia, I very nearly got the dealer to swap them with black rails off one of the other cars in the showroom but at the last minute changed my mind and have actually decided they're not too bad. Since I'll never actually use them as a roof rack I'm thinking they may look quite good colour coded too?

Top job Jonno

Looks SO much better :thumbup:

Its definitely my next project now. I was looking at a 2nd hand grill on Ebay earlier, some nutter paid £48 with delivery :eek:

A new one is only a couple of quid more from the dealers :rofl:

Will post a pic up when I get mine done

Cheers

Damian