Cage Mod

You have reminded me that i did that mod last year

which leads me to

How long does the mod last before the gel drys up

A yearly mod or slap it on and forget it?

• 2 weeks later...
Assuming you're talking about a 1.4 16v like mine, the answer is no, as it doesn't have a MAF. Would work on a turbo petrol engine, like a 1.8T though.

Yes, its the same motor. No such luck on helping to get rid of the slow throttle response then.

Search up top button is a very handy tool...

I disagree!!!! I've spent the last half hour looking through the threads that "search" has thrown at me. I tried using quotation marks too, but i'm still none the wiser about this "cage mod".

I've read quite a lot about roll cages now and plenty about various other mods that people have done but nothing about the item in question. So.....

Can anyone shed some light and explain exactly what it does??

I disagree!!!! I've spent the last half hour looking through the threads that "search" has thrown at me. I tried using quotation marks too, but i'm still none the wiser about this "cage mod".

I've read quite a lot about roll cages now and plenty about various other mods that people have done but nothing about the item in question. So.....

Can anyone shed some light and explain exactly what it does??

Odd, as 10 seconds of searching just yielded this: http://briskoda.net/forums/maintenance-performance/cage-mod-anyone-tried/58457/

One of about 10 similar threads.

I've tried again but still loads of totally unrelated threads, quite a few mentioning the grease but nothing explaining exactly what to do??!!

Or i get annoyed and skim read far too quickly......

Anyway, thanks again :o)

Basically, you pull the connector apart, stick a healthy blob of silicone grease over al the connectors, and then put the connectors back together. Bish, bash, bosh. It's supposed to make your car run more smoothly.

Basically, you pull the connector apart, stick a healthy blob of silicone grease over al the connectors, and then put the connectors back together. Bish, bash, bosh. It's supposed to make your car run more smoothly.

Hmmmmmmm, you say "supposed".........

Does this actually work?? or just fill your electrical connectors up with silicone grease?????

Any chance this could have a negative effect?? (sorry just playing devils advocate here - purely for peace of mind though!!!)

Hi,

As it works by giving a cleaner contact - the poorer contact parts on the pins are insulated leaving the good contacts to give an electronically cleaner signal - then it must have slightly different effects on different plugs. For me it solved a nuisance of a juddering engine during the first minute after starting. No bad effects and I give it a squirt every year with Maplins aerosol.

HTH

Just done this mod. Used the Maplin tube of silicone and squeezed it into the socket and pushed thge plug in, then repeated the socket filling and plug pushing.

I did a careful before and after evaluation, and noted that after I did the mod, the small shudders and jolts that the engine did whilst cold were almost eliminated and the car was a bit better to pull from cold.

Not 'wow', but more 'hmmm, yes it is a bit better'.

Ian