Is Diesel Dead

Interesting article on MSN home page entitled "Is Diesel Dead?" It refers to the shocking escalation of diesel prices at the pumps and the ever widening gap between diesel and petrol. Is it then still more economical to use a Fabia TDI than say a 1.6 petrol. According to that article, the benefits have already been eroded.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what they mean is buying new.

If you buy a diesel new because of the high list price and the high diesel prices plus depreciation you will need to do serious milage to justify the cost.

Or keep the car for a long time.

Diesels are more economical than petrols (although even petrol cars can get good mpg)

On the second hand market its a different story - ish.

Cause the heaviest depreaction will have passed.

What you also have to consider is that these articles dont take into account service and maintenance costs.

He bases the article on his '308' presume he means Peugeot. Reckons it costs him £25 a day to top up so he's doing fairish mileage. Must say my TDI seems far better than I have experience from similar sized car using petrol.

Pfft. Sounds like that article is SOOO June 2nd!

More petrol vs diesel

'

May well be but it's todays MSN page ' Is Diesel dead' that I'm referring to. Its not the same article and believe me your going to see a lot of similar discussions over the coming months.;);)

I don't think so. We've now got a generation of people that are used to turbo'd diesels and won't easily give up the torque.

Although it was laughed at at the time, I do think diesel has a role to play as a performance engine. Put it this way, I've been commuting in my Lupo this week which is, by the general public's metrics a "fast car" (0-60 in 7.3), but it requires "winding up" to get the performance. I was *so* to get back in the VRS this morning and enjoy performance that is just. there. immediately.

Pfft. Sounds like that article is SOOO June 2nd!

More petrol vs diesel

/quote]

'

May well be but it's todays MSN page ' Is Diesel dead' that I'm referring to. Its not the same article and believe me your going to see a lot of similar discussions over the coming months.;);)

I meant to link to the previous article that I referred to in that post (Petrol vs Diesel Prices).

Interesting article on MSN home page entitled "Is Diesel Dead?" It refers to the shocking escalation of diesel prices at the pumps and the ever widening gap between diesel and petrol. Is it then still more economical to use a Fabia TDI than say a 1.6 petrol. According to that article, the benefits have already been eroded.

Do you have a head on your shoulders? Can you work out the difference? I doubt it if you use MSN for your daily news update.

Work out how much it costs you per mile to run either. I think you will find that despite the price, diesel works out cheaper if your doing over a certain amount of miles. How meany will depend on the car and your right foot.

Do you have a head on your shoulders? Can you work out the difference? I doubt if you use MSN for your daily news update.

Work out how much it cost you per mile to run either. I think you will find that despite the price, diesel works out cheaper if your doing over a certain about of miles. How meany will depend on the car and your right foot.

Hey Decron. It's not me who wrote the article and I do not use MSN for my daily news update but I don't see the relevance. Also I do have a head on my shoulders which unlike yours does not make so many spelling mistakes in my posts

I worked out the other day that mine is costing me about 12p per mile in diesel at current price.

I then worked out that if I was driving a petrol and getting 30mpg at current price would be 17p per mile.

Some way to go till that changes. Aren't the residuals better on TDi's? Which should cover the higher list price I would think.

I worked out the other day that mine is costing me about 12p per mile in diesel at current price.

I then worked out that if I was driving a petrol and getting 30mpg at current price would be 17p per mile.

Some way to go till that changes. Aren't the residuals better on TDi's? Which should cover the higher list price I would think.

Good point. It is of course easy enough to work out the differentials in cost. The point this guy (Richard Aucock) is making is that your calculations today may be very different tomorrow or in a few days time, pointing out that over the last month Diesel has risen 6.8% as opposed to 4.5% for petrol and the gap is continuing to widen. As regards residuals he says dealers are reporting a clammer for 1.6 petrols whereas before diesel were the ones to buy. This he says could harm residuals for diesel cars.

It is of course one mans view I'm quoting but it has to be said, more and more are pondering this issue.

If diesel is dead why are Audi putting one into an R8 that will be faster than the current petrol engined model?

Steve

I reckon diesel is far from dead but it is no longer the attractive alternative it once was. Too many people saw the advantages and the price of diesel (which used to be cheaper than petrol) soared. Wouldn't you just know it !!! As regards Audi or any other manufacturer who have invested heavily in diesel, I suspect like all of us they've been caught with their pants down by the price per barrel of oil.

Good point. It is of course easy enough to work out the differentials in cost. The point this guy (Richard Aucock) is making is that your calculations today may be very different tomorrow or in a few days time, pointing out that over the last month Diesel has risen 6.8% as opposed to 4.5% for petrol and the gap is continuing to widen. As regards residuals he says dealers are reporting a clammer for 1.6 petrols whereas before diesel were the ones to buy. This he says could harm residuals for diesel cars.

It is of course one mans view I'm quoting but it has to be said, more and more are pondering this issue.

Yes the gap is widening, but the key thing is that the price of petrol is rising also. It really does have some way to go before the relative costs overtake each other.

I wonder what is happening in France, where they have embraced diesel far more than us and for far longer? Edit: Just read up that France subsidised diesel to keep it affordable for farmers. Figures.

Hey Decron. It's not me who wrote the article and I do not use MSN for my daily news update but I don't see the relevance. Also I do have a head on my shoulders which unlike yours does not make so many spelling mistakes in my posts

You have taken that the wrong way. If your going to react like that then try not to post like a 12 year old which didn't invite discussion or ask a question only made a statement

BTW, there was one mistake which I have gone back and highlighted in bold to match your OP :P

Take a chill pill and get your head out of your own.....

You have taken that the wrong way. If your going to react like that then try not to post like a 12 year old which didn't invite discussion or ask a question only made a statement

BTW, there was one mistake which I have gone back and highlighted in bold to match your OP :P

Take a chill pill and get your head out of your own.....

Your post was quite insulting. I think you got off lightly with a little pedantry.

Your post was quite insulting. I think you got off lightly with a little pedantry.

Really?

I don't and TBH I dont care what you think. I though the OP was very poor, thats my opinion, thanks for yours.

Pill for you too...