Suspension problem

I need your advice. I have a Superb Elegance that i,m just about to use as a taxi. Yesterday I took the car down to have the Council MOT done and got a call later in the day to say the car would not go on the ramp because the suspension had been lowered.

Now I only bought the car last week and being a complete dunce in the car department I didnt notice the suspension had been lowered.

My problem is I now need to get the suspension back to the correct height ASAP so that I can get the car through the MOT and back earning me money again.

First of all how big a job is it and what kind of money am I looking to pay. Dont want to go hunting around for the best price without having a rough figure in my head.

Also I think the suspension is the sports suspension so was fitted new. If that is the case can I get away with fitting longer coils springs only and assume that the shock absorbers will be ok?

Cheers

Dave

Sounds like a good opportunity for someone to swap suspension with......

Hope this sorts itself out mate as we spoke via PM's......

Just thinking that Lummox on here will know the answer.........:thumbup:

Sounds like a good opportunity for someone to swap suspension with......

Hope this sorts itself out mate as we spoke via PM's......

Just thinking that Lummox on here will know the answer.........:thumbup:

Cheers Baker thanks for all your help. I,ll keep you updated.

First of all how big a job is it and what kind of money am I looking to pay.

If I remember correctly I paid about £100 at, er, mates rates for all four springs, four discs and sets of pads.

It's not rocket science - the rears are pretty easy as it's not fully independent suspension and the fronts are just McPherson struts. Just need a hefty spring compressor :thumbup:

(that said if you're not confident don't try it at home)

Also I think the suspension is the sports suspension so was fitted new. If that is the case can I get away with fitting longer coils springs only and assume that the shock absorbers will be ok?

That's not quite so simple.

If it's an OE addition, then it's probably only -15mm or so and I suspect they won't have changed the shockers. If this is the case I'd be interested to know why they can't get it on their ramps... :confused:

If it's after market, then the general rule is that you can go to -40mm on standard shockers. I run that setup at the moment - KW -40mm springs on standard shocks.

My point is that longer springs should be able to cope - unless they've been changed for shorter shockers (to get a bigger drop than -40mm) or the longer springs are longer than OE. I suspect the latter is not only pointless but also difficult.

My point is that longer springs should be able to cope - unless they've been changed for shorter shockers (to get a bigger drop than -40mm)

or unless the job has been done properly, putting shorter (lowered) springs onto std shocks/struts is not an ideal solution and always a compromise.

or the longer springs are longer than OE. I suspect the latter is not only pointless but also difficult.

Longer and stiffer springs are sometimes fitted (on the rear) when the car will be used for towing.

Depending on how much the car has been lowered yes, but i would only use them to get the car on the ramp, not all the time.

Could they not put a couple of blocks of wood under the leading edge of the ramp so the car would go on?

Did they try reversing the car on?

Depending on how much the car has been lowered yes, but i would only use them to get the car on the ramp, not all the time.

Could they not put a couple of blocks of wood under the leading edge of the ramp so the car would go on?

Did they try reversing the car on?

They tried the blocks but wouldnt reverse it on. The trouble is because we are licenced by Southampton City Council we have to have our MOTs at the one place.

If its not advisable to leave the coilspring assistors on the car I doubt if the MOT assessor will allow me to use them.

Cheers

Dave

If you do get the car up on the ramps, can you let me know what make the springs are?

I've been told Skoda used Eibachs as the sports option.

As I tow with a Caravan, and my suspension has become more "soggy" over the years, I'm looking at the Eibach Pro Spring Kit and a pair of splitfire spring adjusters to limit the final travel of the rear springs with the Caravan attached

Cheers

Suspension update..

Had the suspension raised today and tested it over the speed ramps.. Should get it on the MOT ramp Monday morning 7-45am

Cheers

Dave

mod edit: Join freedom if you wish to advertise, see the link at the top of this page, then you may advertise.

or unless the job has been done properly, putting shorter (lowered) springs onto std shocks/struts is not an ideal solution and always a compromise.

Hm, yes lowered shocks on lowered springs is ideal but on a drop of -40mm or less it's not required. You gain nothing from fitting shortened shocks and you don't wear out the standards any quicker. Prime example of this is Boge Turbo Gas shocks with -40mm springs on a mk2 Golf GTI.

In fact fitting shorter shocks on -15 to -30mm springs is probably counter-productive as they may not cope with the longer lengths.

Good point about towing btw, I'd forgotten about that! :thumbup: